When was the last time we found a draft "diamond"?

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I think it’s funny where this thread went. The original post asked when the last time we had a latter round player pan out like one of the following:

Travis Kelce
Antonio Brown
George Kittle
Richard Sherman

Look at those guys. Those are multi-year all-pros. Arguably the best at their positions. And we are throwing out Lassiter, Hightower, John brown, etc. The only player that comes close is badger but he’s not in those guys’ atmosphere.

Let’s face it, since moving to AZ we have not had one.

OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think it’s funny where this thread went. The original post asked when the last time we had a latter round player pan out like one of the following:

Travis Kelce
Antonio Brown
George Kittle
Richard Sherman

Look at those guys. Those are multi-year all-pros. Arguably the best at their positions. And we are throwing out Lassiter, Hightower, John brown, etc. The only player that comes close is badger but he’s not in those guys’ atmosphere.

Good point.

I really can't count Badger. He went to LSU. Every knew what he was. We didn't find a diamond in the rough.

David Johnson is much closer being not very highly thought of coming out and being a top 2 RB briefly, but it was just too short lived.

I look around at other teams and it seems most of them have at least one starting. I can't ever remember having one. Even Jefferson is a push. He's never been Pro bowl level and wasn't always a certain starter here.

Last edited:

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Good point.

I really can't count Badger. He went to LSU. Every knew what he was. We didn't find a diamond in the rough.

David Johnson is much closer being not very highly thought of coming out and being a top 2 RB briefly, but it was just too short lived.

I look around at other teams and it seems most of them have at least one starting. I can't ever remember having one. Even Jefferson is a push. He's never been Pro bowl level and wasn't always a certain starter here.

lol

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score

Travis Kelce
Antonio Brown
George Kittle
Richard Sherman

Aeneas Williams qualifies

AZCrazy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
How many HOF caliber true superstars have we drafted since we've been in AZ?

Fitz
Peterson
Calais?
Maybe Kyler someday we hope? He still looks at times like a guy who's only played somethingteen number of career games.

those guys are still playing. Of the retired guys, Aeneas. Adrian Wilson.
Leonard Davis would have been if we'd moved him to Guard right away.

That's it. Davis, Fitz, PP, and KM were all top 5 overall picks.

Drafting is hard but is sure hasn't been our strong suit. We are however, much better than average at trades and FA pickups. Warner, Palmer, Veldheer, Chandler, etc.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
How many HOF caliber true superstars have we drafted since we've been in AZ?

Boldin will be in the HOF conversation

Dansby probably ought to be, but wont

Simeon Rice will be in the conversation as well

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
Lately I’d have to say John Brown was a stud until he had his issues

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Disagree about Tillman not being a VG FB player. Not saying he was great but he was good. Drafted and had to change his college position (remind you of anyone), and became a starting NFL player.

he wasn’t good but his game made the liability acceptable

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Anthony Sherman has been to the pro bowl and was a second team all pro. I don't think he is a joke nomination just because we didn't use him
A very good player, but in the class of players originally named? Meh . . . no.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We're seriously trying to make it Keesean Johnson. Lets see how it goes.

Uhm, I think we have already seen.

He is just too bad an athlete to ever be more than a role player.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A very good player, but in the class of players originally named? Meh . . . no.

The initial question was "great players found in later rounds".

Of course we have no Tom Brady's because that's only happened once. Our examples here are limited to some 6 players in a decade. We don't have one of those 6 players or the question is superfluous.

By the first example we have many players who made the pro bowl or had good seasons drafted round 3 on.

By the second example we have none or literally the question is rhetorical.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson