What's your Main Area of Concern re: Cards and '22 Season

What is your Main Area of Concern Regarding the '22 Cards?

• Run D

Votes: 35 42.7%
  • Pass Rush

Votes: 16 19.5%
  • DB Play

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • QB Play

Votes: 4 4.9%
  • Run Game

• Passing Game

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • OL

Votes: 7 8.5%
  • Coaching

Votes: 9 11.0%
  • Front Office Moves

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • Fan Support

• Stadium Security

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Costs to Attend Games

• Any Other

Votes: 2 2.4%

• Total voters

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
Mine is definitely DL. I am old fashion in that I feel you need a strong D vs the run, not to mention pass rush, to go far, especially in the playoffs. I am no expert but am disappointed in Cards not showing any major improvement their run D this off season. I grew up with the Rams Fearsome Foursome and the Purple People Eaters, and love it when your team has an awesome front 3 or 4 on D like teams like the Rams do this decade.

What's your main concern for the Cards?

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
DL.
RB depth.

Not really concerned about anything else.

RB depth is easily solved. Loads of guys out there that can add vet experience.

DL has less options. It would be nice if we didnnt have to sign anyone and we can see a 3rd year leap from Fotu and Lawrence. Both have no excuses.

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Too easy. Right now, it’s still our inability to stop the run. Although, I believe Keim will spend some money here before the season starts.

OP
OP
SissyBoyFloyd

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
Too easy. Right now, it’s still our inability to stop the run. Although, I believe Keim will spend some money here before the season starts.

You got some inside info to share? What options does he have at this point in time?

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
Agree on D-Line. Take a look at the end of the UDFA thread. It tells you about a possible surprise addition.

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
You got some inside info to share? What options does he have at this point in time?
I so miss the BASK years when they would routinely speak at events here in York. I would be the ONLY one there (this is Steeler country) in Cardinal gear head to toe & would get invited to hang out afterwards. Make no mistake, BA was running the show in AZ. All that aside, I don’t believe Keim is done signing players.

Card'em

All Star
Reaction score
Definitely the run defense and I'm more concerned about Collins and Simmons at linebacker than I am about our defensive line. I think we can add a free agent to bolster the defensive line, but I think we're going to live or die with those two at linebacker.

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Definitely the run defense and I'm more concerned about Collins and Simmons at linebacker than I am about our defensive line. I think we can add a free agent to bolster the defensive line, but I think we're going to live or die with those two at linebacker.
I have to disagree. A strong DL will keep opposition OL from keeping Simmons & Collins from making plays. Once Watt went down, our DL was borderline atrocious last year. Keim absolutely, positively has to add some veterans to that DL.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
It's all about QB play... the line isnt terrible...not great, but average. Good quarterbacks make due with average lines every week in the nfl.
if kyler holds up, we will win games.
run defense?? why bother?? Nobody will be running on us down by 14....they will be passing,...and even without chan, VJ can manufacture pressure on a QB, when he doesnt have to sweat the run....

this is why we wanted a franchise qb.... not the qb of the future.... the qb of right damn now.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
The entire defense in general. If you look at the makeup and who we have to play defense right now, it's easy to see the DLine is probably the weakest we have seen on this team in ages. OLB is severely lacking and ILB is questionable. CB has no depth and S is about the only area where we can expect some solid play consistent play. Outside of Watt who will probably miss substantial time due to an injury causes a DC to worry about how to game plan for them, absolutely no one. Same for OLB. Even though our CBs are decent at best they can be beat by good WRs. Right now Gardeck is probably one of our starting OLBs. Collins is a big question mark inside and Simmons hasn't exactly lit the world on fire. If the expectation is for the Dline to keep these guys clean in order to make plays, the defense is in real trouble.

What is left in FA are not difference makers, they're all gone. What's left are aging bodies looking to hang on for another year or two. If they were still able to play at a high level they would have been signed already.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The entire defense in general. If you look at the makeup and who we have to play defense right now, it's easy to see the DLine is probably the weakest we have seen on this team in ages. OLB is severely lacking and ILB is questionable. CB has no depth and S is about the only area where we can expect some solid play consistent play. Outside of Watt who will probably miss substantial time due to an injury causes a DC to worry about how to game plan for them, absolutely no one. Same for OLB. Even though our CBs are decent at best they can be beat by good WRs. Right now Gardeck is probably one of our starting OLBs. Collins is a big question mark inside and Simmons hasn't exactly lit the world on fire. If the expectation is for the Dline to keep these guys clean in order to make plays, the defense is in real trouble.

What is left in FA are not difference makers, they're all gone. What's left are aging bodies looking to hang on for another year or two. If they were still able to play at a high level they would have been signed already.

I'm hoping that we haven't done much here because they see Fotu and Lawrence are ready to step up. Both have only been playing about 30% of snaps. It does take some time for D linemen to adjust to the NFL.

Dogbe too in his 4th year after playing 26% of snaps last year.

It's hard to see any of them are going to be great, but hopefully one of them can give us a Corey Peters level player.

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score

And we have VJ and Billy to coach them

Poor coaching, lack of adjustments, very little player development and the list goes on

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We pretty much downgraded at every position group outside of TE & Safety.

So….every position group outside of TE & Safety.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
We need to sign Clowney like yesterday. Clowney as a NFL player's main attribute is stopping the run (not pass rushing which was his forte in college) and he would fix a lot of our anxieties. My second would be coaching and it's the frustrating aspect of not Kingsbury not being able to figure out what works but his addiction to running those heavy WR sets. Let me explain, the guy when forced to will use multiple TE sets and all of a sudden we have a run game and Kyler and the offense is hitting on all cylinders but then Kingsbury feels like he gets a reprieve for his success and reverts back to calling those damn four receiver sets, sort of like a addict which falls off the wagon because they had sustained from their addiction and one little drink won't hurt them and the next thing you know they are binge drinking

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We pretty much downgraded at every position group outside of TE & Safety.

So….every position group outside of TE & Safety.

lol, how have we got weaker everywhere but 2 positions?

I'll give you RB, because Chase left and we haven't signed another vet.
Edge is debatable considering CJ was garbage most of the year but let's be generous and say OLB too.
DL all we lost was Jordan Philips who was never healthy and did nothing when he was. And Corey Peters who played 30% of snaps last year.

Otherwise

QB is the exact same group.

WR we replaced Kirk with a better player and we should have natural 2nd year growth from Moore

The only O line player we lost is backup Max Garcia who was only playing because Justin Murray was out and he's now back. Plus added Hernandez and drafted 2 guards.

CB is the exact same group except swapping 34 year old Alford for a 24 year old former 1st round pick.

ILB only got worse if you believe first round pick Zaven Collins can't equal or improve on Hicks. Which I'm sure you do.

Last edited:

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
we should have natural 2nd year growth from Moore
Why “should” we? Why can’t he remain stagnant or even regress? Hollywood is probably better than Kirk, but I’m not even confident that the gap is that big.
Plus added Hernandez and drafted 2 guards.
Added a really bad player & banking on two late Day 3 guys. Yippee
CB is the exact same group except swapping 34 year old Alford for a 24 year old former 1st round pick.
A 34 year old who vastly outperformed expectations for a 1st round pick who had an awful lone year.
ILB only got worse if you believe first round pick Zaven Collins can't equal or improve on Hicks. Which I'm sure you do.
Why should I be sure? Cause he’s a first round pick? It’s a good thing we have a great track record with first round picks under this regime.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Why “should” we? Why can’t he remain stagnant or even regress? Hollywood is probably better than Kirk, but I’m not even confident that the gap is that big.

Either way, it's not worse is it? Even if Moore is the same and Brown is equal to Kirk (which he isn't) it is at worse equal too. And even that's unlikely.

Let's say Hernandez is bad, as you say. Well so was Garcia. The starts he got last year were his 1st since 4 he had in 2018.

Losing Garcia and adding Hernandez, Hayes and Smith while getting Murray back from injury is not a net loss in anyone's head but yours.

A 34 year old who vastly outperformed expectations for a 1st round pick who had an awful lone year.

We talking about the same Alford you have used to criticize Keim for signing because of his injury issues and which you have repeatedly abused here over the past few years? That Alford? Robert Alford?

Dude, you have been criticizing the FO repeatedly for signing Alford, and then Malcolm Butler and any QB north of 30. So he signs a late 1st round pick that's 24 on a cheap deal and you're still not happy.

CB room is not worse. Take the L.

Why should I be sure? Cause he’s a first round pick? It’s a good thing we have a great track record with first round picks under this regime.

Let's see.

On potential cuts "Jordan Hicks is a liability, especially OCs with actual smart minds. Lets not overthink this."

"Literally everybody on the front 4 is either limited or just old. Hicks is pretty much both."

On Vance "Yea his adjustments have been incredible but I’m tired of seeing Hicks over Zaven out there"

Now you get to see what you was calling for last year.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I voted coaching. In game adjustments will be key for Kliff and coordinators. The roster is what it is at this point so coaches need to do their jobs.

DaHilg

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

I agree with most of this outside of the Hollywood vs Kirk comparison. Not even on the same level talent wise and separation wise. Firm believer stats were only similar bc of no where else to throw to in AZs scheme and Lamar + scheme Ravens ran… with that said with Hopkins out I do feel like we need to make another mover for a solid vet. Antonio Brown would be awesome.. if he acts up cut em’, simple. All this wont matter of Kliffy continues to run a college style offense and not adjust… just stop the lateral plays, stop the same limited predictable route trees (you are NOT going to tire out the pros on defense.. your allowing the defense to press knowing it’s a small chance that same player that has been lining up in the same position all game running the same 3-4 routes), need motion, move your star WRs around as like any other star WR is moved.

OL - is still the most glaring need I see. You aren’t going to be able to fill all the needs so you need to go all-in on offense and your biggest asset, the soon to be $40mm man.. Even the Giants replaced 3 starters (2 that should be elite Neal & Glowinski..plus the scrub that is Garcia).. to protect a guy who they declined the 5th year option on in Danny Dimes… where as AS added 2 LATE round picks and a Hernandez hanging on to his NFL career. Really hope it turns out.

LB - Debatable. I’m still convinced it’s VJs system that sucks. We just simply aren’t maximizing the talent of the individual players.

DL - definitely worried about this..if/when JJ goes down, we’ll get crushed again.

CB - concerned still. We have no one that is elite. I do like Murphy, but as your #2. More concerning about Wilson is he showed zero ball hawking skills - 0 interceptions (I don’t care about the 2 that got flagged.. could do that for any player stat). I could deal w the crappy stints of coverage if you can come up with some turnovers. I love the aggressive move to get Gladney. Bummed we didn’t make a play for Callahan as Chargers continue to stack up.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Either way, it's not worse is it? Even if Moore is the same and Brown is equal to Kirk (which he isn't) it is at worse equal too. And even that's unlikely.

Let's say Hernandez is bad, as you say. Well so was Garcia. The starts he got last year were his 1st since 4 he had in 2018.

Losing Garcia and adding Hernandez, Hayes and Smith while getting Murray back from injury is not a net loss in anyone's head but yours.

We talking about the same Alford you have used to criticize Keim for signing because of his injury issues and which you have repeatedly abused here over the past few years? That Alford? Robert Alford?

Dude, you have been criticizing the FO repeatedly for signing Alford, and then Malcolm Butler and any QB north of 30. So he signs a late 1st round pick that's 24 on a cheap deal and you're still not happy.

CB room is not worse. Take the L.

Let's see.

On potential cuts "Jordan Hicks is a liability, especially OCs with actual smart minds. Lets not overthink this."

"Literally everybody on the front 4 is either limited or just old. Hicks is pretty much both."

On Vance "Yea his adjustments have been incredible but I’m tired of seeing Hicks over Zaven out there"

Now you get to see what you was calling for last year.
To be fair and objective, until proven otherwise, losing Alford - who was undeniably pretty good and healthier than expected - and adding a guy who was a first round pick but whose lone season was bad and who was out of the league entirely for the last season, means we are more likely then not worse today as a projection than last season. Doesn’t matter what anyone argued about alford’s availability prior as y’all’s conversation is just about whether the defensive backfield is better or worse.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
To be fair and objective, until proven otherwise, losing Alford - who was undeniably pretty good and healthier than expected - and adding a guy who was a first round pick but whose lone season was bad and who was out of the league entirely for the last season, means we are more likely then not worse today as a projection than last season. Doesn’t matter what anyone argued about alford’s availability prior as y’all’s conversation is just about whether the defensive backfield is better or worse.

Fair enough. I like Alford. For what it's worth I think Alford will be back.

I'd still call a 24 year old 1st round pick as at least a draw vs a 34 year old guy that's had injury issues.