What's next for Cam Payne and Shamet?

wagonmound464

Rookie
Reaction score
I don't see either of them in the picture going forward, as present bunch of guys playing from the bench are doing well.

Your opinions?

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
There is definitely a role for Cam Payne, he just needs to come back healthy.

Shamet is actually a pretty good defensive player, so I could still see him used some in that capacity. But Ross could certainly take all his minutes if he plays well enough.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I don't see either of them in the picture going forward, as present bunch of guys playing from the bench are doing well.

Your opinions?
Not sure why you don't see either of them in the picture. Payne is clearly the better backup point guard on the roster and Shamet is a favorite of Monty (and KD actually). Since they're both injured, I'm not sure there is much data to support them being unneeded or unwanted.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think Ross' contract is up, then Shamets is up in season 25/26. But Shamet is guaranteed until next season i think, 23/24. Shamet is still a bit valuable as i think he can lock in a better consistent rate.

Payne is just on such a good contract.

Its tough to say because of Monty, some guys stink it up but he'll still ride them.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cam Payne and Landry Shamet are very important to the Suns bench. I'm not sure why we are talking about it.

I could see Terrence Ross starting some games or as 6th man off the bench depending on how it all shakes out.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Monty has Okogie, Craig, Warren, Bazley, and even Ross trying to make a case for the fifth starter job. Nice problem to have.

Seems strange. We trade basically two SF's away, and we still have a bunch looking for the job, although I see Ross more as a two. I also see TJ more as a KD backup, maybe Bazley as a pf back up as well.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We really need both back but Payne especially. Paul played 37 minutes last night, not ideal.

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
I use them to keep the starters mins down as much as possible in season. Keep the older and guys fresh for the postseason

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Shamet doesn't suck, came through big for us many times. But people with short memories suck
OK he kind of sucks. Yes, he has had some good games but the bad games far outweigh the good ones since he has been here. Not remembering that does suck. I admit he looked like he was on the upswing since Christmas but the two months prior he reached double digits a whopping 3 times. Maybe he was on his way to permanently turn it around. I doubt it though. I have no issues seeing what he has when he gets back. His consistency since coming here is horrible.

Last edited:

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
OK he kind of sucks. Yes, he has had some good games but the bad games far outweigh the good ones since he has been here. Not remembering that does suck. I admit he looked like he was on the upswing since Christmas but the two months prior he reached double digits a whopping 3 times. Maybe he was on his way to permanently turn it around. I doubt it though. I have no issues seeing what he has when he gets back. His consistency since coming here is horrible.
I get it, but streakiness is part of basketball though. Damion Lee recently went from lights out to get the funk out. Okogie went from nobody knows me to holy moly. Playing time is also a factor, when Booker's been out for periods of time Shamet has shined. I think all comes down to the overall body of work and consistency, Shamet is as solid as a bench player gets and can rise to the occasion. I don't see any 6th Man award in his future but I could see another contract, especially if he works with us to stay under the cap now that we're a super team

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

It's the $10 million that Shamet is guaranteed next season that is troublesome. Maybe the Suns can use him like an expiring contract next season.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Payne will be cut at season end to save salary tax. With KD here, we don't really need his playmaking skill. Shamet, if his 3pt touch is consistent, can be important piece to back up Paul at PG.

If anyone is waive for luxury tax purposes it will be Shamet. He has some value as an expiring deal of sorts since next season is the last guaranteed year on his deal and he can be waived and stretched over 5 years, costing a team a little more than $2 million annually in that time.

Cam Payne produces well and is a really good part time starter. He's on a team friendly deal for $6.5 million, which will be roughly half of non-tax paying teams MLE, which he'd get easily on the open market. Unless he's unable to play this season or next, he won't be waived..

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Shamet doesn't suck, came through big for us many times. But people with short memories suck
Naw shamet has had exactly 2 games over 16pts this season. 21 games where he scored less than 12. He’s not very good. And certainly not worth his contract. People that say other posters suck, suck.

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
Naw shamet has had exactly 2 games over 16pts this season. 21 games where he scored less than 12. He’s not very good. And certainly not worth his contract. People that say other posters suck, suck.
So I suck, Shamet sucks, and James Jones sucks?

Last edited:

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
It's bad. It'd be worse if we still had a penny pinching owner. His production doesn't warrant more than the MLE.

His contract is basically the non-tax MLE and will essentially be expiring after next season. It's non-guaranteed for '24 and a team option in '25

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose