What most of the mad people are really mad about? Vent here!

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

I think Kellan's response is mostly what people are angry about. If I am wrong, tell me! :)

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

I think Kellan's response is mostly what people are angry about. If I am wrong, tell me! :)

That plus getting worked time and time again in negotiations.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Suns had to attach second round picks to move Warren and Jackson.

If there was a market for these players, the Suns would have been on the receiving end on these trades.

At least the Suns only parted with second round picks and kept the 2022 second round pick.

Also one of those second round picks is conditional.

Rab

Angry Vedder
Reaction score
Cost of doing this kind of business. Simple as that. It blows. Selling low on distressed assets isn’t going to yield positive vibes but it may be necessary in our case. Jones is bringing in his people.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

i'm there for the most part.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We should have gotten more for TJ.

I do not think there was a better deal available for JJ, and he had no future on this team, so it was only going to get worse. The next best option would have been to keep him all year and then just not resign him next summer, like we did with Bender. But what is the point in that really? We already knew he was a knuckle-head who thought his game was just fine as it is.

Anyone ever done this with a stock. You buy at $100 and it drops some, but you still think it is going to be a winner. It drops to $60 and now you are hoping it spikes sometime back to $80 or something so you can get rid of it. But it still keeps dropping. Finally you just have to take the loss.

sdscard4

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
We as humans sell our assets everyday for pennies on the $...are we incompetent morons?

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
We should have gotten more for TJ.

I do not think there was a better deal available for JJ, and he had no future on this team, so it was only going to get worse. The next best option would have been to keep him all year and then just not resign him next summer, like we did with Bender. But what is the point in that really? We already knew he was a knuckle-head who thought his game was just fine as it is.

Anyone ever done this with a stock. You buy at $100 and it drops some, but you still think it is going to be a winner. It drops to $60 and now you are hoping it spikes sometime back to $80 or something so you can get rid of it. But it still keeps dropping. Finally you just have to take the loss.
Using your analogy to compare it to JJ trade you’d have to ride it to zero and allow someone to steal another $5 from you just to teach you a lesson. But that’s the crux of my issue, at some point a good stock picker (or in our case GM) recognizes a dog and sells for something. He doesn’t ride it to zero or worse. That’s what jones did.

SweetD

Next Up
Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
This reminds me of the Josh Children's, Hakeem Warrick and Hedo summer. I am in just disbelief the poor moves and zero value return for Warren and Jackson. In addition to missing out on almost every single game changing free agent.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This reminds me of the Josh Children's, Hakeem Warrick and Hedo summer. I am in just disbelief the poor moves and zero value return for Warren and Jackson. In addition to missing out on almost every single game changing free agent.

Oubre (still waiting) and Rubio is not chopped liver plus the Suns filled holes on their roster.

Childress, Warrick and Hedo were expected to be significant players for the Suns.

Baynes, Saric and Kaminsky are expected to be role players.

If Warren and Jackson had positive trade value, 29 teams other teams disagreed.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
Signing Oubre is really the make or break for this off-season. Resign him and you can reasonably make the argument that Jones's shift of the culture could be a positive, in spite of the less than advantageous deals.

Of course, the ultimate proof one way or the other will be seen on the court next season. If the Suns are terrible again, no one except for the most fatuous is going to give a rip about a higher character makeup of the team.

And if Oubre doesn't resign, I can't see anything they did this off-season making anything but the most marginal difference. They will still be one of the worst, if not THE worst, teams in the league next year.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
The Suns had to attach second round picks to move Warren and Jackson.

If there was a market for these players, the Suns would have been on the receiving end on these trades.

At least the Suns only parted with second round picks and kept the 2022 second round pick.

Also one of those second round picks is conditional.

It’s been reported by Gambo the Suns kinda blew it with the Indy negotiations by offering the pick up front. McDonough was a terrible GM but he would’ve done a better job dumping contacts because he was more creative. Granted we’re in the business of dumping because of him.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It’s been reported by Gambo the Suns kinda blew it with the Indy negotiations by offering the pick up front. McDonough was a terrible GM but he would’ve done a better job dumping contacts because he was more creative. Granted we’re in the business of dumping because of him.

It's hard to believe James Jones had not shopped Warren before offering #32. If he needlessly did it, I agree it was a mistake.

It's hard to find many things McDonough did right other than draft Booker. I suspect Ayton and Bridges were both Sarver picks or had his blessing.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
It's hard to believe James Jones had not shopped Warren before offering #32. If he needlessly did it, I agree it was a mistake.

It's hard to find many things McDonough did right other than draft Booker. I suspect Ayton and Bridges were both Sarver picks or had his blessing.

Its not easy giving the Suns the benefit of the doubt when one guy has no experience and the other guy is a failed GM. We’ll see how much their “addition by subtraction” mantra works out.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Its not easy giving the Suns the benefit of the doubt when one guy has no experience and the other guy is a failed GM. We’ll see how much their “addition by subtraction” mantra works out.

I agree. We need to see how it plays out.

If the Suns cannot keep Oubre, I will not be giving them the benefit of the doubt as I am now.

OP
OP
Yuma

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
When I was researching Jeff Bower, he was not too good on the draft. His strength was supposed to be trades. Really surprised we are bad at these first few. I am praying it was just a hurry to right the ship, and the picks were viewed as a way to expedite the process in this initial case of getting the team competitive for next season. I am hoping this is just for initial purposes.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I was thinking this today. At the time of those moves we were all lamenting loss of STAT but each of them seemed like good mid-level vets. What we got was a pupu platter of nonstars who couldn’t elevate the team.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I was thinking this today. At the time of those moves we were all lamenting loss of STAT but each of them seemed like good mid-level vets. What we got was a pupu platter of nonstars who couldn’t elevate the team.

Warrick stunk before he got here and didn't we get Childress back from Australia or something? Hedo... I did think he would work out.

The bigger problem was we were replacing a single player who produced at an all-star level and trying to fill that hole with 3 lesser players... but there are only 5 guys on the court at a time and depth was not the problem for that team. Outside of Nash they lacked top tier talent.

The current Suns had a very different issue. Other than TJ Warren, everyone we've sent out was horrible for us, we also had zero depth, we didn't even have a full starting lineup, our 4th-10th guys were virtually D-League quality. We did desperately need NBA level talent. Individually, I like basically everyone we brought in, and on paper the team seems far more coherent than it has in years.

I'm not wild about the cost though. We should have gotten an asset (even a minimal one) for TJ instead of giving one away with him, the urgency of trading him during the draft made no sense. Cam Johnson at 11... having to make moves to make room for signings when Tyler Johnson could be stretched and easily make more than enough space.

Man, all it would take for me to have been really happy with this summer so far is if we'd taken Clarke at #11 (even though ironically he went where Cam was projected) and if the TJ Warren trade didn't seem flat out embarrassing. The way both those moves played out leaves me with a sour taste, all the other moves I'm fine with. But if Cam Johnson ends up working out no one will care that we reached.

Also, I wouldn't be surprised if Rubio's contract has a team option for the 3rd season, which would make his pay rate much easier to swallow.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
With these moves, it does seem like this is all James Jones and his team and not Sarver so much, or am I mistaken about that?

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
With these moves, it does seem like this is all James Jones and his team and not Sarver so much, or am I mistaken about that?
I have always gotten the impression that Sarver really trusts Jones and just about every move has seemed to fit a sort of vision for what Jones and Monty want on the team. They seem to line up with what both Monty and Jones seem to value most on a team.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
McD wanted to get value in every trade. So much so that he would wait forever until he got what he wanted or would not make a deal at all. He waited a long time to move markieff and eventually got a decent return. His return on Bledsoe wasn’t as good. I have a hunch that if McD was the GM still, we would have very much the same roster we had when we started.

It’s been a frustrating off season and it started with dropping to the 6th pick in this draft.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson