What internet speed do I really need?

Beaver

Maximum Effort
Reaction score
We are seriously considering cutting out cable and doing the streaming downloading route, but the only options for internet in our small town are Comcast, which we currently have or Century Link.

Ide prefer to ditch Comcast altogether but the fastest speed Century Link offers is 10 mbps. Is that fast enough for downloading video, streaming netflix or other internet content? Our Comcast speed is 50-60 mbps and we have no issues.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We are seriously considering cutting out cable and doing the streaming downloading route, but the only options for internet in our small town are Comcast, which we currently have or Century Link.

Ide prefer to ditch Comcast altogether but the fastest speed Century Link offers is 10 mbps. Is that fast enough for downloading video, streaming netflix or other internet content? Our Comcast speed is 50-60 mbps and we have no issues.

if you only stream in one room at a time, you will do fine even on 7mbps. I used to have seven for my first year of cutting the cord. Once my daughter would stream in a second room I would have issues though. From there I switched to 20mbps with cox and never had a problem again. They keep raising my speed and im at like 50mbps now but even at 20 I was able to stream in 3 rooms at a time.

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am around 20 as well and have zero issues.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdndndn