Well, today is Friday.........

Stronso

Schweddy Balls
Reaction score
and I am hoping to see an announcement or something from the Cards today.......anybody think we will?

FrontRow

Binge Drinker
Reaction score
The only news will be that we have made a contract offer to Colvin, something that should have been done 2 days ago.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Originally posted by Stronso
and I am hoping to see an announcement or something from the Cards today.......anybody think we will?

Nope. Not to be pessimistic but the "closest" person to signing IMO is Stewart and it appears as though he wants to play in CHI. Colvin was just offered a deal yesterday late afternoon, according to reports and unless Grvaes hit a home run with his offer it will take a few days of negotiating. Plus Colvin is in JAX today visiting the Jags...FL, a state with no personal income tax.

I am not expecting any news today, but any news, assuming it is positive would be welcome.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'd be surprised if we heard anything today.
We have. (Unconfirmed) quoting Steinberg that Kordell's ironing out a contract with the Bears in Chi.

I don't know about the rest of you - but bringing in a lot of players may look like something's happinin', but not signing a single one of them does not impress me in the least.

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Originally posted by Stronso

I read the Bears did not offer Stewart a contract and are playing the waiting game. Blake is coming in so they may be more interested in him. Jeff could be right we could end up with Stewart which would please me considering the alternatives. I think it will probably take 3.5-4.0 mil to get Stewart. There is another team that now has an interest in him.

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Originally posted by JeffGollin
I'd be surprised if we heard anything today.
We have. (Unconfirmed) quoting Steinberg that Kordell's ironing out a contract with the Bears in Chi.

I don't know about the rest of you - but bringing in a lot of players may look like something's happinin', but not signing a single one of them does not impress me in the least.

Jeff: What QB if any do you think we should sign? I do not think there has been a QB mentioned that someone did not say "we do not want him". I can go with Stewart or Blake. I think we would be foolish to wait until June in hopes of getting Griese. I think we would be in horrible condition to just throw in the towell and go with McCown.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Originally posted by john h
Jeff: What QB if any do you think we should sign? I do not think there has been a QB mentioned that someone did not say "we do not want him". I can go with Stewart or Blake. I think we would be foolish to wait until June in hopes of getting Griese. I think we would be in horrible condition to just throw in the towell and go with McCown.

I know you asked Jeff, but I did want to comment on 1 thing. If the Cards wiat until June 1 to get their vet QB, the season is lost. I don't care how smart Griese is or how quick he can learn the playbook. It will take the whole season for everyone to get on the same page execution wise.

I don't want Griese personally but if they want him, figure out a way to make it happen...preferably beffore the draft.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Jeff: What QB if any do you think we should sign?
John - Re-read AZCB34's previous post and repeat it 10 times.

You're asking the wrong question because it presumes we can sign anyone we want.

A better question should be: Who can we sign? Right now the answer appears to be:

No one.

We are in an incredibly exposed position. I don't see Blake coming here, and waiting for Griese or anyone else means we won't have our Main Guy at Spring minicamps to learn the playbook and help start getting the offense to jell.

This, incidently, was why I endured various "Closet Jake-Lover" comments and stuck to my guns. It wasn't that I thought Plummer was all that good. It was that I didn't want him gone unless we had someone as good or better to replace him.

Right now, I don't see that person.

Tick. Tick. Tick....

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Originally posted by JeffGollin
Jeff: What QB if any do you think we should sign?
John - Re-read AZCB34's previous post and repeat it 10 times.

You're asking the wrong question because it presumes we can sign anyone we want.

A better question should be: Who can we sign? Right now the answer appears to be:

No one.

We are in an incredibly exposed position. I don't see Blake coming here, and waiting for Griese or anyone else means we won't have our Main Guy at Spring minicamps to learn the playbook and help start getting the offense to jell.

This, incidently, was why I endured various "Closet Jake-Lover" comments and stuck to my guns. It wasn't that I thought Plummer was all that good. It was that I didn't want him gone unless we had someone as good or better to replace him.

Jeff: where I or anyone else liked plummer or not I think he was gone when last year started and we had no offer on the table. he said it himself when he said money is no problem I have plenty of it and want to play for a contender. i do not think Plummer ever had the Cards in his plans regardless of what he may have said. the cardinals where between a rock and a hard place. they could not offer him the kind of money he is getting now last year and it was inevitable that he would leave. he was being booed and playing for a team with little to no chance of contending in the forseeable future. we were never going to keep plummer. having said that we needed a change even if McCown starts. jake did not get it done in six years and it was time to start over. we will end up with some QB in FA. he may not be very good but we will get one. in my opinion we should have overpaid stewart and signed him (that is if he would come). we got into the mess with inept managment and owership and I really do not know how you get out of it. good players we draft will continue to leave unless we have some sort of meaningful change in the way we do business.

Right now, I don't see that person.

Tick. Tick. Tick....

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by AZCB34
I know you asked Jeff, but I did want to comment on 1 thing. If the Cards wiat until June 1 to get their vet QB, the season is lost. I don't care how smart Griese is or how quick he can learn the playbook. It will take the whole season for everyone to get on the same page execution wise.

I don't want Griese personally but if they want him, figure out a way to make it happen...preferably beffore the draft.

Sorry CB that just isnt true. He could be had after june 1st no problemo that still gives him two months to learn the play book and thats really plenty of time.

He also would still have a whole training camp with the WRs to get there timing down that is plenty of time to get it down!

Just because a Kordell Stewart foe examle was here for two 5 day mini camps does not mean that his timeing is going to be any better than a guy brought in after June 1st. Most of your reps and timing come in training camp and pre-season anyways!

pinetopred

Registered
Reaction score
At the very least a June 1st cut should still be able to learn half the playbook, hell isn't that what most critized Jake for we had to dumbdown the offense to get him to execute it, at least that way we will have a smooth transition.:thumbup:

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Originally posted by Shane H
Sorry CB that just isnt true. He could be had after june 1st no problemo that still gives him two months to learn the play book and thats really plenty of time.

He also would still have a whole training camp with the WRs to get there timing down that is plenty of time to get it down!

Just because a Kordell Stewart foe examle was here for two 5 day mini camps does not mean that his timeing is going to be any better than a guy brought in after June 1st. Most of your reps and timing come in training camp and pre-season anyways!

But it is more than just minicamps where they do things. These guys go out and throw passes alot when it isn't mini camps just as a matter of working out. Happens all the time. Also learning the playbook is key and it takes time to get the nuances of what will likely be a very new offense for everyone (I assume that due to Sully wanting his own system in there. So it just isn't the QB learning a new offense but then entire group.

We could be looking at a vastly different terminology to be used and having the QB in before the first minicamp will make everything in training camp move a bit more smoothly. Wouldn't it be better to have some semblance of timing down when camp starts instead of basically starting from scratch?

I do acknowledge what you are saying though but we just disagree on this. Every missed practice is crucial...especially for a young team who is coming off a 5-11 campaign.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joseph Garrison