Welcome Frank Kaminsky

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
So. Is Kaminsky a pf or center? If a pf can he push Saric for the starting job? His /36 numbers look better than Saric.

I guess we are not going to block a lot of shots this year. It’s Aytons weakness, Frank doesn’t block many, and Saric has only blocked 58 shots in his entire 4 year career. It is hard to believe that a 6-10 player could block so few. Just standing there with his hands up should get him more than that.
We are likely to be the worst shot blocking team in the nba this year.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We are likely to be the worst shot blocking team in the nba this year.

I wouldn't be so sure of that. I thought the same but I figured we were last or near last in blocks this last season but we actually finished 15th with a total of 418 blocks. The last place team was Cleveland and they only had 195 on the year, which was 136 below the 29th ranked team, Detroit, who had 336. I thought Detroit would be better with Blake and Drummond but apparently not.

Here's a link, you might need to reset it to sort by blocks but that's easy enough to do, click blocks.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/leagues/NBA_2019.html#all_team-stats-base

You must be registered for see images attach

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I wouldn't be so sure of that. I thought the same but I figured we were last or near last in blocks this last season but we actually finished 15th with a total of 418 blocks. The last place team was Cleveland and they only had 195 on the year, which was 136 below the 29th ranked team, Detroit, who had 336. I thought Detroit would be better with Blake and Drummond but apparently not.

Here's a link, you might need to reset it to sort by blocks but that's easy enough to do, click blocks.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/leagues/NBA_2019.html#all_team-stats-base

You must be registered for see images attach
But we are replacing jJ (55 blocks), Holmes (77 blocks) and Melton (25 blocks in 50 games) and warren (30 in 47 games) with Dario (6.8 bocks in 68 games - man I don’t know how that’s even possible), kaminsky (14 in 47 games), Baynes (36 in 51 games) and Rubio (6.8 in 68 games). We could easily drop to the bottom.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Wow Ouchie! I didn't know Baynes had that many! For a non jumper, that's pretty good!

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
But we are replacing jJ (55 blocks), Holmes (77 blocks) and Melton (25 blocks in 50 games) and warren (30 in 47 games) with Dario (6.8 bocks in 68 games - man I don’t know how that’s even possible), kaminsky (14 in 47 games), Baynes (36 in 51 games) and Rubio (6.8 in 68 games). We could easily drop to the bottom.

I'm not sure where you got those numbers because what I see on BasketballReference is different for all of them but not by more than 2-5 per player so I'm not going to waste my time trying to correct them. We're losing shotblockers, there is no way around that and they will take a dip in that in the rankings but since the Suns were 15th last year, I'm not sure if it matters that much if they get worse in that category because it didn't help them being middle of the pack last year.

Baynes will alter shots, like he did in Boston, and his block numbers aren't that important IMO. I think part of how Holmes was able to get so many is he was a question mark on a lot of scouting reports. Other teams didn't know what to expect from him at first and it took some time for them to learn he is a threat to block shots. He still did ok throughout the season for a backup but they both allowed virtually the same exact shooting percentage within 6 feet, Baynes was 55.1% & Holmes was 55%, with a .1% difference, I don't think we'll see much of a change in overall defense from the backup spot except Baynes provides more leadership than Holmes for the 2nd unit.

With the others, replacing Jackson, Melton, and Warren with Cam, Dario, and Rubio, I think we'll have better overall defense even though there will be less measurable stats like blocks in order to show that. You'll need to look at advanced stats to the see the difference there.

Based on the number of blocks by teams though I'm not seeing any real correlation between winning and blocks so if they fall from the middle of the pack, so be it, so long as they can play better defense overall.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm not sure where you got those numbers because what I see on BasketballReference is different for all of them but not by more than 2-5 per player so I'm not going to waste my time trying to correct them. We're losing shotblockers, there is no way around that and they will take a dip in that in the rankings but since the Suns were 15th last year, I'm not sure if it matters that much if they get worse in that category because it didn't help them being middle of the pack last year.

Baynes will alter shots, like he did in Boston, and his block numbers aren't that important IMO. I think part of how Holmes was able to get so many is he was a question mark on a lot of scouting reports. Other teams didn't know what to expect from him at first and it took some time for them to learn he is a threat to block shots. He still did ok throughout the season for a backup but they both allowed virtually the same exact shooting percentage within 6 feet, Baynes was 55.1% & Holmes was 55%, with a .1% difference, I don't think we'll see much of a change in overall defense from the backup spot except Baynes provides more leadership than Holmes for the 2nd unit.

With the others, replacing Jackson, Melton, and Warren with Cam, Dario, and Rubio, I think we'll have better overall defense even though there will be less measurable stats like blocks in order to show that. You'll need to look at advanced stats to the see the difference there.

Based on the number of blocks by teams though I'm not seeing any real correlation between winning and blocks so if they fall from the middle of the pack, so be it, so long as they can play better defense overall.
It is just one stat, and an overrated defensive stat IMO, but still, it is a weakness.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I think James Jones is loading up on shooters. I don't remember which coach of ours said, the gola is to make one more point than your oppenent at the end of the game. It's about putting the ball in the basket more times than the other team.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

I used basketball reference. Took average blocks per game and multiplied by number of games played.

And nowhere did I make any claim about correlation of blocks to wins. Just said I won’t be surprised if we come in last in blocks. Simple comment. Think it’s reasonable. We have a lot players that play beneath the rim now.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Ayton’s numbers will likely go up, a (hopefully) full season of Oubre will help too.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I used basketball reference. Took average blocks per game and multiplied by number of games played.

And nowhere did I make any claim about correlation of blocks to wins. Just said I won’t be surprised if we come in last in blocks. Simple comment. Think it’s reasonable. We have a lot players that play beneath the rim now.

I didn't say you did claim blocks led to win. I agree that it's likely we'll have less overall. I'm not sure that it matters for much of anything that we'll be towards the bottom of the league in blocks next year because there doesn't appear to be any correlation between team blocks and wins.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I didn't say you did claim blocks led to win. I agree that it's likely we'll have less overall. I'm not sure that it matters for much of anything that we'll be towards the bottom of the league in blocks next year because there doesn't appear to be any correlation between team blocks and wins.
Back in the seventies I bet there was more of a correlation on blocks to wins because the game was played mostly in the paint. Now that teams are jacking up threes, probably no correlation. Makinng a higher percentage of threes is propbably the correlation now.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
I think James Jones is loading up on shooters. I don't remember which coach of ours said, the gola is to make one more point than your oppenent at the end of the game. It's about putting the ball in the basket more times than the other team.
Mike D'Antoni? :)

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
The Suns were in the middle of the pack last season at 5.1 blocks per game. Best was Golden State at 6.4 and worst was Cleveland at 2.4, which is shockingly low, because next worst was Detroit at 4.0.

Ayton averaged 0.9 per game and Oubre averaged 1.0 once he came to Phoenix. Bridges gave them 0.5. Baynes is a decent shot blocker in limited minutes. Tyler Johnson is historically good for about 0.5.

It's a statistic that has a surprisingly narrow range for most teams in the league. Last year, 26 of the league's 30 teams were between 4.3 and 5.9. The Suns should be around 4 even if they don't get much improvement from any individual player.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
The Suns were in the middle of the pack last season at 5.1 blocks per game. Best was Golden State at 6.4 and worst was Cleveland at 2.4, which is shockingly low, because next worst was Detroit at 4.0.

Ayton averaged 0.9 per game and Oubre averaged 1.0 once he came to Phoenix. Bridges gave them 0.5. Baynes is a decent shot blocker in limited minutes. Tyler Johnson is historically good for about 0.5.

It's a statistic that has a surprisingly narrow range for most teams in the league. Last year, 26 of the league's 30 teams were between 4.3 and 5.9. The Suns should be around 4 even if they don't get much improvement from any individual player.

I looked at stats earlier it looks like Oubre was 2nd among SFs. His arms are longer than Bridges who we were all marveling at when he was drafted.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I have been looking at Kaminsky's stats and watching video. He is better than I thought he was. I think he is going to start over Saric at PF.

Of course, Saric might not be as good as I thought either.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
I have been looking at Kaminsky's stats and watching video. He is better than I thought he was. I think he is going to start over Saric at PF.

I will believe that when I see it. Saric has garnered more minutes on better teams in his career and I suspect there is a reason for that. Either way I would expect their roles to be pretty similar, but Saric has much more ability to create than Kaminsky does and I think that could be a difference maker for Saric.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

Kaminsky is not in saric’s league as a shooter or passer or ball handler. Your comment kinda sounds like you’ve watched too many highlights and not enough actual basketball games of these two guys.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Kaminsky is not in saric’s league as a shooter or passer or ball handler. Your comment kinda sounds like you’ve watched too many highlights and not enough actual basketball games of these two guys.
Yeah. That's a good bet since all I have available at this moment are highlights and stats. You are really going out on a limb with that accusation :)

Saric is certainly a much better passer.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Frank the tank is going to make everyone forget about Bender and Holmes

I halfway believe you, Bender is already just a quickly fading moment to me. But I don't think he's going to wipe Holmes from my memory.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Yeah. That's a good bet since all I have available at this moment are highlights and stats. You are really going out on a limb with that accusation :)

Saric is certainly a much better passer.
Not meant to be an accusation. Just an observation.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson