Welcome Center Drew Eubanks

Germz249

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I don't think he is better than Jock. But players wanna play here.

I like that players want to be here but would you take 32 mil for 4 years or 2 mil for 1 year? I guess the better question to ask is do you think Eubanks could have got a Jock deal?

I think the only a few type of players who want to play here this season..

1) Guys who would make 3-4 mil a year on a 1 year prove it taking less here for a ring chase and upping their worth. For a possible next big contract.

2) Guys who made a ton of money already but missing that ring and wants a go at it.

3) Guys who thought they were worth more got a reality check and just trying to get on the best team thats available.

4) Guys who come here to kill their career and retire in Phoenix.

Germz249

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I think he is. It's weird, I look at Watanabe's play, fans from his teams liked him, but he's cheap. Eubanks I would have said would have got the contract Landale got, and I would have thought Landale would have been back with us.

This gets me also. I have yet to read a comment from Nets fans that were glad he left. It seems he was a fan favorite and they wanted him to stay. I get they gave Cam Johnson a big contract but were they hurting on cash where they didn’t want to give Yuta decent long term contract also?

I mean these guys are all motivated by different things. I will admit I don't know basketball like you guys and I appreciate all the knowledge/insight you guys pass to me. Some of the players you guys describe and we sign just seems too good to be true. Like why aren’t they out making 3 or 4 times as much as they are now?

I guess I am just having second thoughts on our signing.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Here is the thing that gets me.. everyone likes him more than Jock.. how did we get Eubanks for cheap and Jock got paid?

Fair question and based on what we know, as fans, is a few things.

1. Personal relationships motivate players. That's part of how we got Yuta to come here for perhaps a little less money. Yuta is good friends with KD so KD calls and says "Come to Phoenix" then how can he respond? Of course he can say he's getting paid but does he want twice the money to rot in Houston, for example? So being with friends matters but I don't think that's an issue with Drew, at least not that we know of.

2. Feeling important. These guys want their egos massaged just like any one else. Getting a call right when free agency opens from James Jones saying we want you in Phoenix makes him feel like a priority. Plus they can talk more about role, which leads to...

3. Role on the team. Players want to play and I believe Eubanks saw an opportunity to be our backup. He had a similar role in Portland they didn't seem to prioritize him as a keeper. So he's out there, for sure. As a title contender being the first big in will get him seen by more eyes and more people take notice. So he's got a chance to play, play for a winner, and potentially earn a Jock type deal next off-season. Worst case? He picks up his player option and gets paid $2m+ next season to be waived. Being seen matters though, he may not have been better than Jock but how well Jock played against Jokic was fresh on every ones mind when free agency started, not a lackluster season. So Drew wants a chance to be Jock next summer and get a ring first.

4. Winning matters. No one wants to lose and no one wants to ride the pine when the teams losing because that's a recipe for washing out. You can explain why you didn't play a lot in Phoenix next off-season to suitors but you can't explain why Portland kept you glued to the bench. You're young, they should be playing you since winning isn't a priority right now so much as building for the future. So where do you want to be if you aren't going to see a lot of minutes, a contender or lottery team? Plus winning makes for a better environment, even if you don't play, everyone's happy. Work, for these guys, is basketball and when work is good, life is good. So being a part of that is a lot less stress than losing streaks on lottery teams.

Hopefully this explains why/how we got Drew and some of the other signings. Not great or that detailed but I thought I'd try to explain some of the intricacies you hear often from teams and players when looking back at why they rode it out somewhere and chose winning over money.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
This gets me also. I have yet to read a comment from Nets fans that were glad he left. It seems he was a fan favorite and they wanted him to stay. I get they gave Cam Johnson a big contract but were they hurting on cash where they didn’t want to give Yuta decent long term contract also?

I mean these guys are all motivated by different things. I will admit I don't know basketball like you guys and I appreciate all the knowledge/insight you guys pass to me. Some of the players you guys describe and we sign just seems too good to be true. Like why aren’t they out making 3 or 4 times as much as they are now?

I guess I am just having second thoughts on our signing.

The players have an agent whose job is to do what is best for the player. They know what they are doing.

Also, it gives the player a chance to increase their value.

If they play well and the Suns can't fully reward them, some other team will. An example is Josh Landale.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
I like that players want to be here but would you take 32 mil for 4 years or 2 mil for 1 year? I guess the better question to ask is do you think Eubanks could have got a Jock deal?

I think the only a few type of players who want to play here this season..

1) Guys who would make 3-4 mil a year on a 1 year prove it taking less here for a ring chase and upping their worth. For a possible next big contract.

2) Guys who made a ton of money already but missing that ring and wants a go at it.

3) Guys who thought they were worth more got a reality check and just trying to get on the best team thats available.

4) Guys who come here to kill their career and retire in Phoenix.

If Eubanks plays well he will get a deal like Jock or more.

Jock Landale got that deal because the Suns let him display his skills. The Suns got Jock from the Hawks for simply cash.

Another example Is Rachaun Holmes. The 76ers traded him to the Suns for cash and he increased his value as well.

When he became a free agent, he signed a 2-year, $10 million contract with the Kings. He later resigned with the Kings for a 4-year, $55 million contract.

Cam Payne was playing in the G-League before the Suns gave him an opportunity.

clyde2tw

All Star
Reaction score
The composition of the Suns team dictates that players like Eubanks and Diop have a better chance to get playing time and show case their skills, than competing with mle and high 1st round picks on other teams.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
The composition of the Suns team dictates that players like Eubanks and Diop have a better chance to get playing time and show case their skills, than competing with mle and high 1st round picks on other teams.
Eubanks is an injury/trade away from being the starting center on the Suns as it stands right now.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Isn't there another TV contract getting negotiated? If so is that expected to make the salary cap blow up again next summer? It's risky, but that may be reason enough to take less money for a great opportunity to showcase yourself on a team that's going to get a lot of attention this season

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Isn't there another TV contract getting negotiated? If so is that expected to make the salary cap blow up again next summer? It's risky, but that may be reason enough to take less money for a great opportunity to showcase yourself on a team that's going to get a lot of attention this season
It would be the summer after next, but yeah it should increase the cap pretty significantly.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

From what I've heard the Players Association and League agreed to do a bit more smoothing the impact, with increases in the cap being set at a certain percentage so we don't see a repeat of what happened last time. Not only did it enable Durant to sign with the Warriors but it allowed a bunch of teams to overspend horrendously for off season and put them behind the 8 ball for a few years because guys like Timofee Mosgov got $20m+ a year. That's part of why the cap went up 10% this year, it's accounting for the larger TV deal early.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I’m getting bubble Javale McGee feelings here. That team won a championship. That team had Vogel.

Now we have Eubanks who could supplant the role of McGee on that team.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Eubanks is a shot blocker. Now seeing this list, I see the Bol Bol reason we pursued him. Suns lost Bizzy, who was our best shot blocker. Ayton should be on that list this year IF Vogel plays him closer to the basket like he's done with other centers in the past.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Eubanks is a shot blocker. Now seeing this list, I see the Bol Bol reason we pursued him. Suns lost Bizzy, who was our best shot blocker. Ayton should be on that list this year IF Vogel plays him closer to the basket like he's done with other centers in the past.

I'm keeping my eye on that 15th roster spot, especially since Wainright's contract is not guaranteed until January 10th.

Could we still see a change there?

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Ayton will never be a shot blocker. You can just tell by how he contests shots. He worries more about putting a hand in someone's face than making contact with the ball. I believe it's far too late for anyone to change that. He wasn't even a shot blocker in college where he had the size advantage regularly.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
We could use some easy dunks at the basket like Portland was getting.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He is listed as 6-10, TC was also listed as 6-10. Who is/was more athletic? Could Eubanks replicate the dunk over Mark Jackson?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdndndn