Week 7 2022: Heroes and Goats

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Big concern for me was the defense.

This was the first time we faced a competent offense with a significant lead and they couldn't handle them (or before). Turnovers aside.

This suggests the previous decent defensive performances were as much down to opposing offenses playing conservative football than our defense being good.

They still had their moments in neutral situations but I'm more concerned than I was.

Saints had 350 passing yards with a bunch of nobodies starting on offense.

Last edited:

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Id be curious if anyone really watched Price, Ford, simmons, and zaven. Anyone closely watch any of those guys?
I have a tendency to watch collins. He wasn’t terrible but he doesn’t play to his size. His instincts are getting better but he doesn’t shed blockers well or pound ballcarriers. Seems more like a “catch” tackler then a “punish” tackler. Not worth his draft slot at this juncture.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
No way I put Marco Wilson on the hero list. Sure he was gifted an INT but was terrible for most of the game. I'd put Eno in there as a hero instead. Glad that you put DJ Humphries on there as a hero.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score

This was the first time we faced a competent offense with a significant lead and they couldn't handle them (or before). Turnovers aside.

This suggests the previous decent defensive performances were as much down to opposing offenses playing conservative football than our defense bring good.

They still had their moments in neutral situations but I'm more concerned than I was.

I'd say the Saint did make some plays that weren't all that common. First the long TD catch and throw, and that Kamara tightrope TD. Teams don't make plays like that all of the time. Maybe one per game if you are really good, but two? That was a bit of an outlier, just like two pick sixes are.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
No way I put Marco Wilson on the hero list. Sure he was gifted an INT but was terrible for most of the game. I'd put Eno in there as a hero instead. Glad that you put DJ Humphries on there as a hero.
Agree that Eno is deserving. That TD was something special. I'd make him the starting RB and use Conner situationally.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Traffic cones provide more resistance than Harlow.
I don't know about that! I have a private cul-de-sac that was turned into a chop shop. Nothing stopped them or made them leave, not even police. I put up a few traffic comes and they've been gone for a year now! Traffic cones work!

Last edited:

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Also, how did Eno not make this list? 7.7 ypc, stout pass blocking and the second most catches on the team probably deserves an attaboy.
Last week he should have been on the Goat List but wasn't. This week he should have been on the Hero List but wasn't. Possible reason, last week for much of the game we had Garcia at LG and Harlow at center. This week Ford and Price. Hopefully, next week, Hudson at center. JMO.

Last edited:

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I also think Murphy could’ve been on the goat list last night. He seemed pretty dreadful in coverage on a bunch of JAGs and awful tackling. Maybe one of his worst games from the eye test as a cardinal imo.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
At lease Kyler when knew how to throw the ball away instead of taking a loss...oh wait

The one where he ran out of bounds to me was the bad one because he lost yards and stopped the clock. The one where he took the sack didn't stop the clock, the problem was he did it so recklessly it flirted with a safety and it flirted with a what if he'd fumbled and they recovered it for a TD. But the actual taking the sack there kept the clock running as someone pointed out earlier.

Note I'm not saying that's why he did it.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

This suggests the previous decent defensive performances were as much down to opposing offenses playing conservative football than our defense bring good.

I go back to virtually every person I saw pre game analyze this game. they all said the same thing because the Cards don't have a consistent pass rush they try to scheme sacks from sophisticated stunts where someone rushes and someone else drops. When it works it's great, when it doesn't they give up big plays. They give up lots of big plays because they don't have anybody that can just beat their man for a sack.

The first TD pass was not really a blitz but was an example of single coverage on a speed guy and we got no pressure. The long pass play to Smith was one of those big plays against scheme they knew we'd make Hamilton chase him across instead of handing him off to someone else. The TD pass to the TE against Myjai Sanders was textbook because of scheme he dropped into coverage and got burned.

Ironically today the same people are saying that worked because Dalton is an experienced QB he read the defense saw the advantage and attacked it on those plays. But he also threw 2 bad picks that killed them.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
Totally agree with the Murray assessment. As for Moore I don't think you can really goat him when he had only two targets. It was quite apparent that Murray was constantly looking for Hopkins. What is Murray going to do when a defense takes Hopkins away by doubling him. No one else on this offense demands that type of attention.

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score
In the context of last game, why is this getting harped on so much?

If Kyler would have threw the ball away, the clock would have been stopped, which is the LAST thing the offense needed to do. He took a loss on the play, but he stayed in bounds & kept the clock rolling.

If anything, blame the HC for calling 253 pass plays in a row despite being up 35-17 in the 4th quarter.
We are talking about different plays. He did it multiple times last night and has done it his entire time here. It is something he needs to work on.

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score
The one where he ran out of bounds to me was the bad one because he lost yards and stopped the clock. The one where he took the sack didn't stop the clock, the problem was he did it so recklessly it flirted with a safety and it flirted with a what if he'd fumbled and they recovered it for a TD. But the actual taking the sack there kept the clock running as someone pointed out earlier.

Note I'm not saying that's why he did it.
I see your point but he has been doing this his entire time here. That is what I was referring to, not just one play.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I see your point but he has been doing this his entire time here. That is what I was referring to, not just one play.

Right I agree that one worked to our advantage clockwise but scared the crap out of me.

I do think Dvontel has a great point though yet again the lack of understanding of clock by Kliff was on display again last night. Having your foot on the gas was what the announcers were saying but to me it was not using the clock to your advantage.

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
Actually, on second thought, the sparkly helmets looked pretty good. I think I've seen them in real life, and they don't look like anything. On TV, if you look hard at them, they do look like bowling balls, but if you're just casually watching or glancing at them, they're pretty sick.

You must be registered for see images attach

Deandre Hopkins, WR — Welcome back, Nuk! The broadcast team mentioned that Hopkins' special gift is his length. I think it's been underrated how consistently Hopkins bails out spotty passes with his catch radius and body control. Nuk accounted for more than half of our passing yards last night.

Marco Wilson, CB — A critical attribute of a cornerback is a short memory. Wilson had a rough start to the game and shook it off. Wilson wasn't a lockdown corner but he contained Olave and limited the damage — along with his first professional INT + TD. His enthusiasm is contagious; it's time to come up with a shoe-based celebration

D.J. Humphries, OT — The Captain was doing werk last night. The right side of the line had some challenges, but Humphries remains a rock who doesn't require a lot of additional help. He had some good highlights of moving to the second level on some of Eno Benjamin's good runs.

You must be registered for see images attach

Kyler Murray, QB — OMG, how deep inside his own head must Kyler Murray be right now to be performing like this? Half of his passing attempts went to Deandre Hopkins; 72% of his attempts went to Nuk or running backs. This isn't playing NFL quarterback; it's Madden on rookie mode.

Rondale Moore, WR — The game log says Rondale Moore played 89% of the offensive snaps last night, but he couldn't have been more invisible outside of a red zone penalty. Two targets! It's hilarious to have Kirk Heirbstreet, the #1 pro football analyst who talks about peoples' college careers, mention that CFB fans are waiting for Moore to do something.

Billy Price, OC — This isn't super-fair to price because he's been on the roster for like two weeks. This guy is a former first-round pick, and people should remember this when they think about how supposedly low-risk first-round OL are. Price had a bad snap and poor communication created some bad opportunities. I'm sure he'll get better tho.

Thanks K9! Hop and DJ are great choices.

Tough to pick out the Goats this week. I probably put VJ up there since the D gave up almost 500 yards and 31 points vs. the Red Rifle. I know, I know, the pick 66 and all that, but still. Zero sacks last night. Zero. If we have zero sacks against Kirk Cousins next week, we're in big trouble. VJ has to find a way to manufacture more pressure, because he's got some decent tools to work with in the front seven.

gimpy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
On one of the Kyler sacks, as he was running out of bounds, he thrust the football forward for that extra yard or so (that they always do), but, in this instance, instead of thrusting it forward, he thrust it backwards behind him, so the ball crossed the sideline behind him instead of in front, so that he actually would have lost a yard.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose