Week 1: Detroit Lions (0-0) @ Arizona Cardinals (0-0) Pregame thread. 08/30/19-09/07/2019

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
It seems most likely the offense will look ragged. I’m not a believer you can just turn on an offense that’s not been run except in practice. I could be proven wrong, but I grew up too close to Missouri to buy it sight unseen. I think they’ll put points on the board but they’ll stumble often. On defense I expect to see tons of blitzes. It all comes down to the D-Line. If they can hold up against the run the Cards will be in it unless turnovers prove costly. The question is can the offense get smooth by the fourth quarter? If so they could steal a victory.

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
It seems most likely the offense will look ragged. I’m not a believer you can just turn on an offense that’s not been run except in practice. I could be proven wrong, but I grew up too close to Missouri to buy it sight unseen. I think they’ll put points on the board but they’ll stumble often. On defense I expect to see tons of blitzes. It all comes down to the D-Line. If they can hold up against the run the Cards will be in it unless turnovers prove costly. The question is can the offense get smooth by the fourth quarter? If so they could steal a victory.

Harry, you're way more knowledgeable about football than I, but I think our offense will probably come out of the gate fairly slow, while K2 learns what will definitely work, and what definitely won't, and also while the offensive players learn how to effectively execute the scheme in real game situations.

Additionally, I think the o-line will improve if they can keep the same five guys starting for several consecutive weeks, and that will also allow the offense to be more effective by game seven or eight (vs. game one).

So, if you say the offense looks rough around the edges, I would tend to agree, but I'm advocating patience for the first several weeks, with the idea that we will improve steadily as the year progresses. Hope I'm wrong and we start fast.

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
Most of the timing and chemistry that the players build with each other is built on the practice field. I wouldn't be at all surprised if the offense is looking good right out of the gates.

I so hope you're right CardsSunsDbacks. I hope we coming out guns blazing against the kittens.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
Harry, you're way more knowledgeable about football than I, but I think our offense will probably come out of the gate fairly slow, while K2 learns what will definitely work, and what definitely won't, and also while the offensive players learn how to effectively execute the scheme in real game situations.

Additionally, I think the o-line will improve if they can keep the same five guys starting for several consecutive weeks, and that will also allow the offense to be more effective by game seven or eight (vs. game one).

So, if you say the offense looks rough around the edges, I would tend to agree, but I'm advocating patience for the first several weeks, with the idea that we will improve steadily as the year progresses. Hope I'm wrong and we start fast.

Agreed...remember BA's offense, which was a proven NFL offense, still looked discombobulated for the 1st half of the 2013 season, as Palmer, Fitz and Co figured it all out.

OP
OP
Ronin

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Josh Weinfuss (@joshweinfuss)
8/30/19, 11:24 AM
Kliff Kingsbury didn't have an answer Friday about whether new WR Michael Crabtree will play in Week 1 against Detroit.

"That's a lot of install and a lot of information to kind of cram into a couple of weeks and condition and all those things," Kingsbury said.

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
Agreed...remember BA's offense, which was a proven NFL offense, still looked discombobulated for the 1st half of the 2013 season, as Palmer, Fitz and Co figured it all out.

Thanks. I don't recall that year very well Ron in OC, but I've heard a couple of guys on the board say the same thing.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Agree, however the most important piece of the offense knows the system like the back of his hand. Gives me hope that we’ll get off to a quicker start. Look for Winston to struggle in Tampa for the same reasons Palmer struggled.

OP
OP
Ronin

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Josh Weinfuss (@joshweinfuss)
9/2/19, 12:42 PM
Cardinals OL Lamont Gailllard wasn't on the field during the open portion of practice. LB Zeke Turner was working on the side with a trainer. LB Haason Reddick was going through individual drills.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard