We Traded For a CB - Trayvon Mullen

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
When you’re 4-9 everything has been a problem at some point. We are razors thin at the position with Murphy’s injury and the older vet having missed games at the beginning of the season. Our defense is rated at bottom of the league. No part of the defense was fine.
Look at the passer rating allowed by Murphy, Hamilton, and Wilson. All three are good CBs, the numbers and eye ball test supports that. It's #darksidefakenews to claim otherwise.

The scheme and the ILBs are where the major leakages occur mostly. Tackling across the defense has been average to bad.

I know you guys enjoy your "I told you so" moments. I'm happy for you guys! The Cardinals suck! Yay!

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Look at the passer rating allowed by Murphy, Hamilton, and Wilson. All three are good CBs, the numbers and eye ball test supports that. It's #darksidefakenews to claim otherwise.

The scheme and the ILBs are where the major leakages occur mostly. Tackling across the defense has been average to bad.

I know you guys enjoy your "I told you so" moments. I'm happy for you guys! The Cardinals suck! Yay!
I think people should be skeptical of coverage stats like this.

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score
I'm not doubling down. It wasn't a dumb trade then or now.

I will trade next years 7th round pick for any player picked top 50 in the draft 3 years ago all day every day. No matter how bad he has been.

The chances of that guy being infinitely better than whoever that 7th round pick is around about is about 1/20.
One teams top 50 rated player is another teams undrafted grade. Only takes one team to fall in love with a player and overdraft them. I remember a few years ago we took the TE Christian in the 7th round, and then Jerry Jones tweeted a pic out with their board behind him and they had a second round grade on the guy. He did nothing in the league.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
One teams top 50 rated player is another teams undrafted grade. Only takes one team to fall in love with a player and overdraft them. I remember a few years ago we took the TE Christian in the 7th round, and then Jerry Jones tweeted a pic out with their board behind him and they had a second round grade on the guy. He did nothing in the league.

I mean yeah, sure. As a whole.

Mullen was #63 on the 2019 consensus big board. He was a 4 star recruit out of HS. He played at Clemson.

Were not talking about Christian Matthew from Valdosta State getting drafted in the 2nd.

I would encourage any GM to trade 7th round picks for former top 100 picks still on rookie deals. Scheme fit is a thing and the upside is far greater than any 7th round draft pick.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I think people should be skeptical of coverage stats like this.
I think passer rating alone is a terrible measure as it doesn’t take down and distance and success of the play into consideration. It also doesn’t take run support into consideration or sacks or TFL, etc. it doesn’t reflect Hamilton deciding not to tackle kittle running into the endzone. But yeah, our defense is fine in any aspect.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I mean yeah, sure. As a whole.

Mullen was #63 on the 2019 consensus big board. He was a 4 star recruit out of HS. He played at Clemson.

Were not talking about Christian Matthew from Valdosta State getting drafted in the 2nd.

I would encourage any GM to trade 7th round picks for former top 100 picks still on rookie deals. Scheme fit is a thing and the upside is far greater than any 7th round draft pick.
Would be interesting to see the respective impact of 7th round picks verses these types of retreads.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
That does seem to be what the evidence suggests. Top 5 DVOA vs #1 and #2 WRs but bad against other receivers (25th), TEs (30th), and running backs (30th).

Sounds like we need to add another off-ball linebacker.
Lol

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
That does seem to be what the evidence suggests. Top 5 DVOA vs #1 and #2 WRs but bad against other receivers (25th), TEs (30th), and running backs (30th).

Sounds like we need to add another off-ball linebacker.

The worse coverage players on the team this year have been

Budda Baker 112 rating allowed
Jalen Thompson 111 rating allowed

Zaven and Simmons haven't been that bad. 93 and 99 respectively.

But Murphy has been bad inside vs outside which suggests there is an issue on the middle that's not getting picked up statistically.

Maybe in zone the linebackers aren't covering the underneath well and thats being attributed to poor figures for everyone else.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
It was a 7th round pick for for a guy on drafted 40th still on his rookie contract.

That's a trade any GM should be making.

There are a lot of things Keim should be fired for but this isn't one of them.
Yes, the fireable offense was going into the season with the CB depth chart what it was so that it required the dumb and desperate trade in the first place.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Would be interesting to see the respective impact of 7th round picks verses these types of retreads.
It also doesn't factor in:
Cost difference between 7th round players and top 100.
Packaging 7th round picks to move around in the draft.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
The worse coverage players on the team this year have been

Budda Baker 112 rating allowed
Jalen Thompson 111 rating allowed

Zaven and Simmons haven't been that bad. 93 and 99 respectively.

But Murphy has been bad inside vs outside which suggests there is an issue on the middle that's not getting picked up statistically.

Maybe in zone the linebackers aren't covering the underneath well and thats being attributed to poor figures for everyone else.
Again, I don’t trust coverage stats. Obviously safeties are going to have worse coverage stats because they’re the last line of defense. Look at Monday night: that big TE catch was probably allowed by Simmons but likely credited to the safety because he was closer or something.

What’s more likely: Mullens was actually better than Byron Murphy and Vance just loves to lose or there’s noise in the stats that doesn’t make them reliable?

reebokalone2001

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
It was a 7th round pick for for a guy on drafted 40th still on his rookie contract.

That's a trade any GM should be making.

There are a lot of things Keim should be fired for but this isn't one of them.
I am fine with the trade. It was that Keim has to cut him to avoid giving up a 6th rounder rubs me in the wrong way. Why not just keep him, let him recover from the injury, practice, and see what he has in him when healthy. He still can play one more game before the 6th rounder won't be triggered.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Again, I don’t trust coverage stats. Obviously safeties are going to have worse coverage stats because they’re the last line of defense. Look at Monday night: that big TE catch was probably allowed by Simmons but likely credited to the safety because he was closer or something.

What’s more likely: Mullens was actually better than Byron Murphy and Vance just loves to lose or there’s noise in the stats that doesn’t make them reliable?
or, Mullen isnt a scheme fit so keim cut him before the price went up.

curious,...if we re sign him next week and he plays more...does it still affect the trade?

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
I am fine with the trade. It was that Keim has to cut him to avoid giving up a 6th rounder rubs me in the wrong way. Why not just keep him, let him recover from the injury, practice, and see what he has in him when healthy. He still can play one more game before the 6th rounder won't be triggered.
or bench him.... the Cardinals have a history of benching guys to keep their cost down...

just ask Boomer Esiason

reebokalone2001

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Interesting, why did they let him fall all the way to the 7th? Were everyone they drafted that year graddd higher on their board?

Last edited:

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score

I would trust them more for CBs vs. Safeties and others.

I'd say there is more going on with players than counting stats and the team is generally going to know who blew a coverage more than the stat guys will. The stat guys can take educated guesses, but those are still guesses.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joseph Garrison