We might just have 2 drafts, 2020 & 2021, before another game is played.

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
I hate to sound all doom and gloom, but been researching some serious scientific data and projections of the virus in US and it is nothing like the govt wants us to realize the possibility of. The latest projections based on last few days spread of virus and deaths are shocking. it appears quite possible now that one in 3 of us will test positive in the coming year and 1% will perish. In numbers that is 100+ million infected and 1 million dead. The real shock is the total unprepardness of our govt, including medical staff, hospitals, beds, businesses, work force, on and on. This is a nightmare our society has never even contemplated. Even our own officials could not get their heads around it till it was too late to stop it. They had a couple months in which they did nothing. Of course that has been shown to be their M O in dealing with everything.

So now, how will it effect sports and football? Will any games actually be played for the next year or two? And will this virus, as it already has shown, mutate faster than we can medically and scientifically control it? If it gets stronger resisting our treatments and vaccines, will it become deadly to our young and athletic, as it is to our elderly currently? If so, how devastating will that be to individual teams and franchises.

We might not see any live sports for a couple years at the early spread rate and projections based on the last few days and the nonchalant attitude so many in our country have displayed so far.

Whatever the case, glad we have our forum to keep football verbally alive. Stay well all, and remember, we can't take this epidemic too seriously.

AirRaid

Rookie
Reaction score
Based on everything I’ve seen and read, I highly doubt we get a season this year as well. 2021 I’m pretty sure of but I think 2020 is going to be a write off. The worst thing they can do is declare the spread over prematurely.

I just don’t think it’s fair to the teams with new coaches, the rookies, etc. To not have OTAs, or a short preseason with condensed training camp or no training camp at all. Or to have an eight game season or any other option that isn’t 16 games and two months of preparation.

gamebird98

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Would this season count as a completed season as far as "contracts" are concerned if no games are played?

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m confused about all this s***.

This crap started in China in November. Five months later China appears to be up and running. Based on that timeline it started here in late January. Hopefully things can get back to somewhat normal by late June.

if that’s the case NFL 2020 will happen. Who the f*** knows?

jmt

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I doubt there will be an NFL season. Are tens of thousands of folks going to fill stadiums weekly? Socially and economically I doubt it.

AZman5103

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I dont see why by august, we couldn't at least have games without fans present. While it will be really weird...the TV revenue is where its at...and if the country has gone 6+ months without any sports, those NFL games will be crazy popular.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
I say all this respectfully, to all. I want you all to be safe, and sooner or later this too shall pass. You are my countrymen, and of course I want you to be safe. I also extend that to my brothers and sister of this planet, but I want to state it to my countrymen first.

I get that people say "that this has never happened before". In modern times, yeah I guess. In history?

There have been many situation like this throughout history. We are organic animals, there are plenty of things like this that can wipe us out.

Climate change? Yup. Can wipe us out. Meteor. Plague. War.

So, this is a plague like situation. It happens. And history dictates, this can get serious, QUICK.

I find saying that "_____" is completely unprepared" is hubris. This is an example of mother nature showing us how small, and weak we are against it. We are star dust, on a rock floating through space. That is it. You cannot be prepared for this type of thing. You cannot have the society we live in and then turn around and complain that the infrastructure of a world based on working hard everyday, based on money over life and being ULTRA competitive is going to be able to stop, chill out a bit, and then make sure everyone is taken care of.

It is just not possible, not rational, nor are the resources there to do it. Even if our society was not based on work, money, and competition, I still do not think you can be prepared for this. No more than an earth quake, hurricane, tornado, meteor hit, etc., etc. Death is common, we just have done such a good job as a society we live twice as long, and twice as well as in the past.

What the world has coordinated in spite of the societal challenges has been quite if you ask me. What has never been see before is a response to a plague like situation like we have seen. To be able to understand, research, communicate, and act against this has been at a scale and speed we have never seen in history. So, I say keep some perspective, and hopefully we all, myself included GAIN some perspective.

The time is to have self-responsibility, discipline, and respect for others. Something easily said, and not nearly practiced enough. It is not time to see who we can blame for all this, and push that responsibility onto them. That has been the go to for too many for FAR too long. Nope. They cannot help you this time, they cannot take the blame this time. Nope. The responsibilities right now fall on each of us, each household. Looking for blame is a waste of time for those, sorry to say, without the will power to be introspective and see that this is something that may smash your beliefs and your views on the world. Being wrong, is not a bad thing. You learn. I have been learning, my arrogance when this started was dangerous, I changed, I have said "I was wrong". No biggie.

Cause this virus is the boogey man. Respect it, and you have a good chance of getting by. Make smart decisions, support your community and look to help and listen, and do what you can to let this pass.

As for "what will happen", they do not know. Nobody knows. And there is no one to blame for it either. The WORLD, all our resources put together (which is something VERY positive to see) is working on this. We are doing all we can. Best thing I think to do? Support those who are working, who are providing food, and services. (You know TIP the person at the restaurant who takes your food from the kitchen to your car, and well. If you have the means of course, self-responsibility first).

There are many things throughout history, mattering on how far back you believe the history of intelligent man goes, that has wiped out a massive part of the population. We have been over due for this type of thing (would rather it not happen at all of course). To see the world come together and work together as it has, is good to see. Dare I say good practice.

I will get off my soap box.

Just my two cents on the matter.

EVERYTHING SAID here is good stuff, I truly respect it all, even things I am completely in disagreement with. While this has happened before in history, it has not to us, so anything I can gain from others, I am taking in, and thinking about. Using a little more empathy than I normally do.

Not to mention, this was something I wanted/needed to do. Type out my thoughts somewhere. Not Facebook, not anywhere else, this seemed to be right, and my apologies if it ends up not being the place.

So, I say it again, PLEASE be safe, and be well. No matter who you are, your beliefs, or if you are on ignore (LOL, how petty that seems to state). Hope this comes across well, just my opinion on the matter. No blame, no hate, just perspective, respect, opinion, and well wishes for all my fellow men and women. This world is a beautiful place, and you all make it so, I want that to continue.

PS- ootball? When does it come back? As long as the question is when, and not if, I am good with it coming back when it comes back. This time has given me a moment to realize I miss football, and miss thinking about the team, the roster structure, and the debates over nothing I used to have.

PSS - Thank you moderators for keeping this archaic (I say that with love and respect) medium open to us all for us to converse about sports. Which will come back, and maybe give us all some perspective that win or lose, just getting a game to entertain is a good thing.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I say all this respectfully, to all. I want you all to be safe, and sooner or later this too shall pass. You are my countrymen, and of course I want you to be safe. I also extend that to my brothers and sister of this planet, but I want to state it to my countrymen first.

I get that people say "that this has never happened before". In modern times, yeah I guess. In history?

There have been many situation like this throughout history. We are organic animals, there are plenty of things like this that can wipe us out.

Climate change? Yup. Can wipe us out. Meteor. Plague. War.

So, this is a plague like situation. It happens. And history dictates, this can get serious, QUICK.

I find saying that "_____" is completely unprepared" is hubris. This is an example of mother nature showing us how small, and weak we are against it. We are star dust, on a rock floating through space. That is it. You cannot be prepared for this type of thing. You cannot have the society we live in and then turn around and complain that the infrastructure of a world based on working hard everyday, based on money over life and being ULTRA competitive is going to be able to stop, chill out a bit, and then make sure everyone is taken care of.

It is just not possible, not rational, nor are the resources there to do it. Even if our society was not based on work, money, and competition, I still do not think you can be prepared for this. No more than an earth quake, hurricane, tornado, meteor hit, etc., etc. Death is common, we just have done such a good job as a society we live twice as long, and twice as well as in the past.

What the world has coordinated in spite of the societal challenges has been quite if you ask me. What has never been see before is a response to a plague like situation like we have seen. To be able to understand, research, communicate, and act against this has been at a scale and speed we have never seen in history. So, I say keep some perspective, and hopefully we all, myself included GAIN some perspective.

The time is to have self-responsibility, discipline, and respect for others. Something easily said, and not nearly practiced enough. It is not time to see who we can blame for all this, and push that responsibility onto them. That has been the go to for too many for FAR too long. Nope. They cannot help you this time, they cannot take the blame this time. Nope. The responsibilities right now fall on each of us, each household. Looking for blame is a waste of time for those, sorry to say, without the will power to be introspective and see that this is something that may smash your beliefs and your views on the world. Being wrong, is not a bad thing. You learn. I have been learning, my arrogance when this started was dangerous, I changed, I have said "I was wrong". No biggie.

Cause this virus is the boogey man. Respect it, and you have a good chance of getting by. Make smart decisions, support your community and look to help and listen, and do what you can to let this pass.

As for "what will happen", they do not know. Nobody knows. And there is no one to blame for it either. The WORLD, all our resources put together (which is something VERY positive to see) is working on this. We are doing all we can. Best thing I think to do? Support those who are working, who are providing food, and services. (You know TIP the person at the restaurant who takes your food from the kitchen to your car, and well. If you have the means of course, self-responsibility first).

There are many things throughout history, mattering on how far back you believe the history of intelligent man goes, that has wiped out a massive part of the population. We have been over due for this type of thing (would rather it not happen at all of course). To see the world come together and work together as it has, is good to see. Dare I say good practice.

I will get off my soap box.

Just my two cents on the matter.

EVERYTHING SAID here is good stuff, I truly respect it all, even things I am completely in disagreement with. While this has happened before in history, it has not to us, so anything I can gain from others, I am taking in, and thinking about. Using a little more empathy than I normally do.

Not to mention, this was something I wanted/needed to do. Type out my thoughts somewhere. Not Facebook, not anywhere else, this seemed to be right, and my apologies if it ends up not being the place.

So, I say it again, PLEASE be safe, and be well. No matter who you are, your beliefs, or if you are on ignore (LOL, how petty that seems to state). Hope this comes across well, just my opinion on the matter. No blame, no hate, just perspective, respect, opinion, and well wishes for all my fellow men and women. This world is a beautiful place, and you all make it so, I want that to continue.

PS- ootball? When does it come back? As long as the question is when, and not if, I am good with it coming back when it comes back. This time has given me a moment to realize I miss football, and miss thinking about the team, the roster structure, and the debates over nothing I used to have.

PSS - Thank you moderators for keeping this archaic (I say that with love and respect) medium open to us all for us to converse about sports. Which will come back, and maybe give us all some perspective that win or lose, just getting a game to entertain is a good thing.
Well said RM. It gets depressing while trying to keep up with this pandemic that I am subjected to blame game that goes back and forth. Let’s work on this together to get past this. There will be plenty of time afterwards to point fingers and you can bet there WILL be.

society will be better because of this but sadly only for a while. We’ve gone from 9-11 to just 20 years later we are more divided than ever.

I so I’m wrong but as you’ve mention throughout history.....

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score

This crap started in China in November. Five months later China appears to be up and running. Based on that timeline it started here in late January. Hopefully things can get back to somewhat normal by late June.

This is true if you trust China.

GimmedaBall

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I hate to sound all doom and gloom, but been researching some serious scientific data and projections of the virus in US and it is nothing like the govt wants us to realize the possibility of. The latest projections based on last few days spread of virus and deaths are shocking. it appears quite possible now that one in 3 of us will test positive in the coming year and 1% will perish. In numbers that is 100+ million infected and 1 million dead. The real shock is the total unprepardness of our govt, including medical staff, hospitals, beds, businesses, work force, on and on. This is a nightmare our society has never even contemplated. Even our own officials could not get their heads around it till it was too late to stop it. They had a couple months in which they did nothing. Of course that has been shown to be their M O in dealing with everything.

So now, how will it effect sports and football? Will any games actually be played for the next year or two? And will this virus, as it already has shown, mutate faster than we can medically and scientifically control it? If it gets stronger resisting our treatments and vaccines, will it become deadly to our young and athletic, as it is to our elderly currently? If so, how devastating will that be to individual teams and franchises.

We might not see any live sports for a couple years at the early spread rate and projections based on the last few days and the nonchalant attitude so many in our country have displayed so far.

Whatever the case, glad we have our forum to keep football verbally alive. Stay well all, and remember, we can't take this epidemic too seriously.

Hello SissyBoyFloyd, I've been off the list for some time with my posts but I do stop by and read the comments. I know this particular forum is dedicated to football and not politics. That said, I'd like comment on the preparedness at the Federal level.

In the aftermath of 9/11, the Bush Administration considered potential Terrorist threats and included infectious disease agents such as smallpox (still held in some government labs), anthrax, and pandemic viral agents etc. A massive effort was undertaken to provide training across the country that include response plans from the WH down to the local health department and rural hospital. In the 'Incident Command' structure, the WH is to act as the logistics coordinator. The current pandemic has been more than considered and planned. Bush started the programs and Obama continued his effort. I know this because I worked in Environmental Health and and for several years personally conducted the training and tabletop exercises throughout the mid-west for Nursing Homes, hospitals, state and local health departments, fire departments, etc. You can see the extent of this nationwide training and Disaster Response plans as the different governors put their plans into effect----tune in to New York Gov. Cuomo's news conferences to witness a leader with a plan.

See this portal page on the CDC website for the history:
https://www.cdc.gov/flu/pandemic-resources/national-strategy/index.html

I don't want to get into a political debate. I know there are plenty of Trump supporters on this list. The numbers and modeling of fatalities is very real and as such, we need to deal with FACTS and what has actually happened in response. It will be the only way to unite and deal with this threat.

Given that we more than understood the issue and developed the necessary protocol to deal with it, here is why we are in the current situation:

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news...e-coronavirus-containment-cdc-watchdog-report

Here's a 2018 article that was published when Trump/Bolton dismantled the key WH office for dealing with Pandemic diseases:

https://www.vox.com/science-and-health/2018/2/23/16974012/trump-pandemic-disease-response

When you see the Governors and other Health officials acting bewildered it is because they are waiting for the Feds to take the lead role in logistics/supply/national response. The whole 'Incident Command' response process has the Feds taking that role---not denying it, not telling them to figure it out on their own, not ordering them to find their own equipment, not telling them they have to be nice if they want something, not denying that Response Plans exist, etc.

As to taking it seriously, I stopped posting to this forum after the 2018 dismantling of the WH team and have been spending my time since trying to get the program funded and re-established. As you can see, I along with and army of Public Health failed and the event we feared has occurred. Until we get the raw data, we will not know how severe Covid-19 is. Is it fatal for 1% of the population? 3.5% of the population? This disease 'jumped the species' barrier (probably from bats to humans) and the entire World is a naive population with no herd immunity---there is a very good chance that it will kill millions---as it cycles through the billions living on earth. We are not even sure that having the illness and 'getting well' confers immunity. We are not sure how quickly the virus will mutate and bypass any vaccine that is being developed. To get 'herd immunity' often requires a very high % of survivors with immunity---that may require millions of Americans to get sick and survive.

Americans are strong enough to deal with the naked truth and we must demand that of our Leaders. Then we can go back to squabbling about our #8 pick in the draft.

TaylorSwift

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

China doesnt give a **** about their citizens rights so they can lockdown the place like crazy. I dont believe their numbers either.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
If this thing has us locked down all the way past August, I don't think we'll ever play football again, as people are going to start to have much bigger things to worry about, like tons of homeless people who can't pay their bills or buy food because they can't go to work.

Most people don't have a six+ month emergency fund and are going to start to get desperate and violent.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The only reason we are on quarantine is so we don’t over tax the medical system. This isn’t some killer disease. Your immune system will catch up to it and you’ll be fine.

the media really needs to start reporting people who have had it and been cleared way more than they do but that doesn’t get ratings.

Cardinal Bob

Glutton for Punishment
Reaction score
If this thing has us locked down all the way past August, I don't think we'll ever play football again, as people are going to start to have much bigger things to worry about, like tons of homeless people who can't pay their bills or buy food because they can't go to work.

Most people don't have a six+ month emergency fund and are going to start to get desperate and violent.

This is a chilling dose of reality...but nobody can say it's not possible, cuz nobody knows. We can only hope & pray that it doesn't come to pass.

I think if football happens, and it's a big IF, it happens in empty stadiums. But if empty stadiums is what req'd due to this virus, how can anyone justify ANY contact sport happening? The next month to two months will be very telling.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
The only reason we are on quarantine is so we don’t over tax the medical system. This isn’t some killer disease. Your immune system will catch up to it and you’ll be fine.

the media really needs to start reporting people who have had it and been cleared way more than they do but that doesn’t get ratings.
I'm not even afraid of getting sick. I'm afraid of the fact that both my roommate and I are out of jobs at the moment, and the entire tourism based economy of Las Vegas is shut down. 93,000 unemployment claims were filed last week here, and it only looks to get worse.

But yeah, this whole direction I'm taking things probably belongs in P&R.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The NBA is considering games without fans. Maybe the same happens with the NFL.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm not even afraid of getting sick. I'm afraid of the fact that both my roommate and I are out of jobs at the moment, and the entire tourism based economy of Las Vegas is shut down. 93,000 unemployment claims were filed last week here, and it only looks to get worse.

But yeah, this whole direction I'm taking things probably belongs in P&R.

my little brother works in Vegas/lives in Henderson. He works for H&M and he says there paying him while he’s off. He’s one of the lucky ones.

but yeah I get what your saying when you talk about it money wise

BACH

Superbowl, Homeboy!
Reaction score
Not to be an ********, but you are using the wrong Numbers. Estimated number of deaths if not contained in the US is 19M based on WHO Numbers.

OP
OP
SissyBoyFloyd

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
I understand many feeling this belongs in a different forum room but from this point on it will be hard to discuss any topic on any forum and not bring this epidemic into the discussion.

I intended this thread to be as much about the draft and how it will be effected. Just now it has dawned on me a whole new draft question? Do we want to even have a draft until we see the ultimate and final results of were we are headed with this? How many, if any, of the draftees might eventually be tested positive, die or possibly be physically effected over time, or (and I am not sure they know for sure yet), simply be unaffected but capable of transferring the virus to others for a long period of time.

Does any team want to be drafting players before we know how any and all of them come out of this? Will all healthy young athletic types be safe from any lasting effects? I haven't heard any mention of this yet, but is or will this be in the back of gms minds before long?

Might we be headed toward no season, and a last minute cancelling of 2020 draft and simply combining that one with a 2021 or even 2023 draft? Does a team really want to be drafting some player knowing they won't be taking the field for a couple years from now?

I assume someone will be raising these issues with the commissioner soon if not now. Can he make any decisions until some 'realistic' projections about the future can be made?

This is truly about football and the upcomong draft, but, like everything in our lives now, totally meshed with and around this virus.

What draft scenarios do you envision might be in the cards for us, the Cards, other nfl teams, and the commish? Will we see the televised draft as close to business as usual come April?

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

This is totally ridiculous.

China and South Korea have already basically beaten the virus in 3 months or less. It will be no different here.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

China and South Korea have already basically beaten the virus in 3 months or less. It will be no different here.

Likely but we going to change our lifestyle at the end of it, using mask, avoiding crowded place, spending more time at home
I guess there will be a season with matches behind closed doors

OP
OP
SissyBoyFloyd

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score

I hope you are correct. Lets talk in a week. Hopefully it will be more obvious by then.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose