We draft 13th

Bodha

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I think Howard is valuable because he can do everything similar to Gronk. I'm not saying that he will be that type of player, but he has that type of versatility. Also, in a draft class so deep at CB, I would argue that the gap between Howard and the next best TE is bigger than the gap between the best CB and the 3rd or 4th best CB.

If you are of the mind that the offense was the 2nd biggest issue in 2016 after special teams, and your priority tis to improve the offense, I don't see many players better suited to do so more than OJ Howard.

In the 1st round, I believe in BPA balanced with need. IMO, thats easily CB - Quincy Wilson. And I disagree in terms of taking a CB later. If you have the opportunity to have 2 elite #1 CB's, you take it. We already are currently gambling with our #2 CB depth. Just take the sure thing (Quincy) and move on.

In the overall strategy of the draft, I agree that offense should be priority. With that said, I dont feel drafting a TE improves our offense nearly as much as a WR or G. Both found, along with TE, in later rounds. As soon as round 2 if youd like, but not #13 overall.

I am not opposed to drafting a TE, but certainly not round 1. Let me ask you this, how many TEs in the NFL today would you draft #13 overall? Gronk, maybe Jimmy Graham......maybe Travis Kelce but thats stretching it.......I cant think of any more. Theres almost no such thing as an elite TE in todays NFL.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Sure we'll have needs, but will probably go the BPA route modified to give player ratings more or less weight based on how they fit the ideal profile for each position according to specs drawn up by BA and his people.

Also - There's better than even odds that our BPA pick will overlap a position need anyway (i.e. Hooker at S/$LB or Foster at ILB)

Part of SK's affinity for BPA approach is probably tied to his confidence in filling position needs with FA's, UDFA's or late draft picks.

Reign Blood

Tattooed Hundredaire
Reaction score
How does this trade sound?

"the Arizona Cardinals have traded the 13th pick to the New England Patriots for Jimmy Garrapollo and their 32nd pick for Arizona's 13th pick and a third rounder"

daves

Keepin' it real!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How does this trade sound?

"the Arizona Cardinals have traded the 13th pick to the New England Patriots for Jimmy Garrapollo and their 32nd pick for Arizona's 13th pick and a third rounder"
Sounds confusing! ☺️

... dbs

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Updated (and now in order)

1. Myles Garrett OLB
2. Jonathan Allen DE
3. Rueben Foster ILB
4. Jamal Adams S
5. Malik Hooker S
6. OJ Howard TE
7. Marlon Humphrey CB
8. Mike Williams WR
9. Quincy Wilson CB
10. Corey Davis WR
11. Sidney Jones CB
12. Derek Barnett OLB
13. Zach Cunningham ILB

...Some will mention Solomon Thomas...my question is, where does he play in a 3-4? 275lbs is pretty small for DE, and really big for OLB.
Thoughts on Peppers?

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I really wish we had dropped those last couple wins even though I enjoyed them. 13th is not bad.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Jack of all trades... master of none... don't know where he'd play in the NFL.
Fits the profile of a money-LB, no?

If we're all-in on a defense built around a $-LB, we're going to need depth behind Bucannon (because - should he get injured or otherwise leave - our entire defense would be built around a position with no one to play it.

Given the trend toward a $-LB, there are some observers who rate Peppers highly due to his versatility. If the Cards agree, he could be another option besides Hooker and a couple of others.

AZfaninMN

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

If we're all-in on a defense built around a $-LB, we're going to need depth behind Bucannon (because - should he get injured or otherwise leave - our entire defense would be built around a position with no one to play it.

Given the trend toward a $-LB, there are some observers who rate Peppers highly due to his versatility. If the Cards agree, he could be another option besides Hooker and a couple of others.
Yea, he would fit in as a $-lb. Like you said though, we already have one and we're not going to have 2 of them on the field at the same time. The coaching staff likes Minter as a 3 down linebacker because he calls the plays and he's a thumper when he blitzes up the middle. If we resign Minter, which I'm one of the few who likes Minter and think he's a good ILB, our defense won't look too different with those 2.

Peppers was a playmaker in college, much like HB for us. We can't have 2 people roaming the field trying to make plays. He's not great in coverage to cover the TEs like TJ and he's not a thumper like DJ swearinger, so I think he'd be a downgrade at safety. The only immediate impact I see peppers making on this team if we were to draft him is on special teams, where I think he can be a standout returner.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Physically he fits the bill he's hes not as good. His ball skills are horrible and he's not really all that physical

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard