We draft 13th

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I love OJ but I would be furious if we draft a TE ain't the 1st. I would also add Solomon Thomas on this list.

Why? If you look at position scarcity in FA and the draft, TE is one spot where it is difficult to find good players. More to that point, if yu find a good one, they tend to have long careers. TEs really open up the outside vertical passing game, help in the red zone, and impact the play action game. If you think Howard is a special talent, and you want to improve the offense, Howard checks those boxes.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Can I ask what the thought processes is for having OLB's on this list for a team with Golden & Jones 24 sacks combined?

Chandler Jones will be franchised and Markus golden with be up for a contract in 2 years. Also, it is a position where having depth can improve your pass rush in the fourth quarter because a rotation will keep your players fresh. Also is a good draft class so even if we don't add someone in round 1, OLB will be in play in rounds 2 and 3 as well.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
I wouldn't be mad with OJ Howard. A TE mismatch does wonders for the outside WR's. He's a legit receiving prospect.

I have mixed feelings on OJ Howard. He has all the physical attributes you would want. But......

It's the old "for all his ability, he should have had more of an impact" knock. I get Alabama is loaded and is a run first (and second) kind of team, but still.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
Well there goes Reuben Foster and Jamal Adams :(

Depends on how the three QBs are viewed

Also -- I think Foster will weigh in at 225 lbs and I think for some teams that will be too light to warrant a high 1st round pick.

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
Why? If you look at position scarcity in FA and the draft, TE is one spot where it is difficult to find good players. More to that point, if yu find a good one, they tend to have long careers. TEs really open up the outside vertical passing game, help in the red zone, and impact the play action game. If you think Howard is a special talent, and you want to improve the offense, Howard checks those boxes.

Howard is a special talent, no question about that. The question I have is why he wasn't featured more in Alabama's offense. Lane Kiffin dialed up his number big-time in last year's title game...but this year Howard wasn't consistently given the same kind of attention in their game plans. Hard to imagine that he only had 2 TDs on the season. Is he a guy who commands the ball like he should? Just how competitive is he? Can he make tough catches over the middle in the NFL with the safety bearing down on him?

AsUpRoDiGy

Magnanimous
Reaction score
Depends on how the three QBs are viewed

Also -- I think Foster will weigh in at 225 lbs and I think for some teams that will be too light to warrant a high 1st round pick.
Foster looked small...that's for sure, but he's also explosive. I did see him get locked up by linemen several times, and he was having a really tough time getting off the block, so that small frame makes it easy for him to get man-handled. He's probably just a tiny bit smaller than Bucannon...if I were to guess.

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Howard is a special talent, no question about that. The question I have is why he wasn't featured more in Alabama's offense. Lane Kiffin dialed up his number big-time in last year's title game...but this year Howard wasn't consistently given the same kind of attention in their game plans. Hard to imagine that he only had 2 TDs on the season. Is he a guy who commands the ball like he should? Just how competitive is he? Can he make tough catches over the middle in the NFL with the safety bearing down on him?
Throughout the Saban era the talent has been so broadly distributed across the board that individuals are not as talented as perceived. Factor in the component where Saban runs such grueling practices that some of those guys are worn out come game time. Jalen Hurts is a freshman QB and a dual threat option that may also be a factor in what Kiffin could dial up.

BTW.... Cam Robinson ...... stay away from.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Malik Hooker is an option at 13 as well.

Re: Howard. When you look at games where Alabama has featured Howard, he has been unstoppable. Fresh QB, goofy Lane, I don't know why they didn't feed Howard the rock, but the size and ability is there.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
1.OJ Howard TE
2.Mike Williams WR
3.Corey Davis WR
4.Jonathan Allen DE
5.Myles Garrett OLB
6.Derek Barnett OLB
7.Rueben Foster ILB
8.Quincy Wilson CB
9.Marlon Humphrey CB
10.**** Tabor CB
11.Sidney Jones CB
12.Jamal Adams S
13.Zach Cunningham ILB

I am pretty good with these options.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
Hooker?

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
Hooker would be a huge addition. We need a rangy, fast, instinctive centerfielder.

jbeecham

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
So if we had lost our last 2 games then we would've been drafting 8th.... now we can forever look back & wonder what our team would be like with any of the guys drafted 8-12 instead of who we got at #13 :)

YAY! :sarcastic

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So if we had lost our last 2 games then we would've been drafting 8th.... now we can forever look back & wonder what our team would be like with any of the guys drafted 8-12 instead of who we got at #13 :)

YAY! :sarcastic
This would be different if we lost to non-division rivals, but I just can't stomach losing to our rivals. I enjoyed the hell out of watching the team beat Pete in Seattle(3-0 with Palmer starting) & Gregg Williams.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I am very proud of the way the team finished. The draft has plenty of good players---sometimes picking later is a blessing in disguise.

Amen. Two good wins. We would be in the playoffs if our Special Teams would have come through for us especially against the Pats and Seahawks.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Speaking of draft one of the guys I've been touting as a 2nd rounder for us just got carted off the field in the Rose Bowl, Adoree Jackson. Initial report was knee but now they're saying ankle. Will be interesting to see if he drops in the draft, he apparently has an insurance policy that allows him to collect if he slips past the first 2 picks of the 2nd round.

Had a big punt return called back on what looked like an iffy call, gave up a TD pass, and then got hurt on a KO return.

On Foster it's funny we all had the same notion, the bit I watched I thought man was he sick or something he looks 15 pounds smaller than he was last time I saw him? I think it's how the uniform fit plus he wears a non traditional LB number? As I was watching all I could think is I hope his size makes him slip to us.

jbeecham

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
This would be different if we lost to non-division rivals, but I just can't stomach losing to our rivals. I enjoyed the hell out of watching the team beat Pete in Seattle(3-0 with Palmer starting) & Gregg Williams.
Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the hell out of those wins... I was just bemoaning the years of what-ifs that will happen on this board like when we didn't draft Adrian Peterson. If a pick in the 8-12 range turns into the next Aaron Rogers or Tom Brady then it'll be bitched about for decades.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Every once in a while the Cardinals hit gold in the draft like Patrick Peterson and Larry Fitzgerald in the first round but I wouldn't mind if they traded back for more picks. I wouldn't mind getting a later pick in the first round plus another pick.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I would only move up for Adams or Garrett in this draft

Otherwise I'd stay put at 13

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
Hooker would be a huge addition. We need a rangy, fast, instinctive centerfielder.
We might already have that in Miller. That int he made yesterday was phenomenal & not often will you find anyone cover that much ground on a wide open player to make a pick.wow

I thought he had great ball skills at SE La even though he played CB. Who knows we might've gotten lucky.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
There is no way Keim goes with a TE at #13...
CB, S, ILB... gotta be one of those positions first. Or, if somehow Williams is available I can see him going WR there. Heck, I would even consider taking Corey Davis at WR before looking at TE...

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
There is no way Keim goes with a TE at #13...
CB, S, ILB... gotta be one of those positions first. Or, if somehow Williams is available I can see him going WR there. Heck, I would even consider taking Corey Davis at WR before looking at TE...

Why? Because of the position? Top TEs go high and open up all parts of the offense. I would rather have a top TE than a top WR any day of the week.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Jordan Reed makes the Redskins offense viable.

Rob Gronkowski has been the primary reason, after Brady, that the Pats have had a top offense.

Same for Greg Olson.

Same for Jason Witten.

Same for Heath Miller when he was in Pitt.

Same for Antonio Gates.

The main issue with TEs is that there are not a ton of really good ones available. So, if you believe that OJ Howard has a chance to be a special TE, he is more valuable than any WR on the board.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Why? Because of the position? Top TEs go high and open up all parts of the offense. I would rather have a top TE than a top WR any day of the week.

Jordan Reed makes the Redskins offense viable.

Rob Gronkowski has been the primary reason, after Brady, that the Pats have had a top offense.

Same for Greg Olson.

Same for Jason Witten.

Same for Heath Miller when he was in Pitt.

Same for Antonio Gates.

The main issue with TEs is that there are not a ton of really good ones available. So, if you believe that OJ Howard has a chance to be a special TE, he is more valuable than any WR on the board.

When there are stunning/glaring and crystal clear bigger needs, there is no way Keim goes TE at #13... I'm not refuting your contention that Hall of Fame caliber TE's can ignite offenses... But I honestly don't see OJ at that level. And even if I'm wrong about him, I just can't see Kim looking away from the bigger needs to take a chance on a TE...

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard