way too early cut to 53.

nationsrj

Veteran
Reaction score
Early cut at 53 before training camp, only using current roster, with no changes between now and start of season, not accounting for any injuries. I believe the new kickoff will cause some Special Teams players to be kept over position players.

Offense – 25

ST – 3

Defense – 25

QB – 2 Murray, Riddle, C. Tune on PS

I think unless they bring in additional competition, this is the QBs going into the season

RB – 4 Conner, Carter, Bensen, Dallas, E. Mercado to PS

I think the 3 main guys are Conner, Carter, Bensen, Dallas is help on special teams, Mercado could make it due to his blitz pickup skills.

TE – 4 McBride, Reiman, Higgins, Vokolek, If international option, Seikovits to PS(Internations)

I think McBride and Reiman are primary, Higgins and Vokolek fill in. Seikovits only on PS if internation spot for him.

WR – 5 Harrison, Wilson, Jones, Dortch, Moore, Weaver to PS, Pascal to PS.

OL – 10 Johnson, Hernandez, Froholdt, Williams, Brown, Adams, everyone else depends on training camp.

I think 4 of the 5 starting positions are set, LG has a host of candidates, backup tackle is between Beachum and Jones, backup guard comes out of the LG group, depending on ability to backup center. I think Gaines and Brown are the backup center candidates.

ST – 3 Prater, Gillikin, Battle between Brewer and Shimko for last spot

I think Gannon, Rodgers are looking for Shimko to beat out Brewer, but hedging in case Shimko does not transition well to NFL. The returner is between Dallas, Dortch initially.

DL – 6 Nichols, Jones, Robinson, Stills, Collier, Lopez, B. Stille to PS, Hoskins to PS.

OLB – 6 Collins, Ojulari, Gardeck, Dimukeje, C. Thomas, X. Thomas to PS, Luketa to PS.

ILB – 4 Wilson, White, Barnes, Pappoe, Bailey to PS.

CB – 5 Bunting, Melton, Thomas, Williams, Price, Clark to PS, Jones to PS.

S – 4 Baker, Thompson, Chachere, Blount, Taylor-Demerson to PS

PS is a catch all and some of them could be cuts from other rosters.

Tune QB, Mercado RB, Seikovits(international), 2 OL, Stille DL, Hoskins DL, X. Thomas OLB, Luketa OLB, Bailey ILB, Clark CB, E. Jones CB. Taylor-Demerson S and 4 open spots.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is no chance Taylor-Demerson makes it to the PS. Any player on a rookie deal has to clear waivers to make the practice squad.

Taylor-Demerson, Clark, X. Thomas and Weaver probably all get claimed. Plus, they can sign with any PS after being waived. Lots of players stick at the bottom of the roster just for that reason.

OP
OP
N

nationsrj

Veteran
Reaction score
Then that means Taylor-Demerson replaces Blount, who would Clark replace, maybe Price or Thomas? Price was very good on ST, Thomas would probably would get picked up as well. There is room for X. Thomas (my miscount). Weaver was undrafted but I don't know other team's interest.

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
TE – 4 McBride, Reiman, Higgins, Vokolek, If international option, Seikovits to PS(Internations)

I think McBride and Reiman are primary, Higgins and Vokolek fill in. Seikovits only on PS if internation spot for him.

I guess maybe the rookie Reiman beats out E. Higgins as the 2nd TE option, but Higgins was playing pretty well at the end of last season.

Over the last four games of 2023, Higgins went for 10 catches on 11 targets for 115 yards and a TD. He's a reliable pass catcher and a willing blocker.

Putting Reiman ahead of Higgins on the depth chart seems a little premature.

P.S - but overall it's an interesting take and so appreciate you posting.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Then that means Taylor-Demerson replaces Blount, who would Clark replace, maybe Price or Thomas? Price was very good on ST, Thomas would probably would get picked up as well. There is room for X. Thomas (my miscount). Weaver was undrafted but I don't know other team's interest.

Taylor-Demerson is the only for sure I think makes the roster of those 4 l listed. He's been talked about as a potential Baker replacement. The other 3 could very well end up on the waiver wire. Maybe all 3 aren't claimed, but I think there is a chance they all do.

I should have mentioned that this was a solid 53 though..those last 5-7 spots are truly hard to nail down.

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
WR - Moore?
Early cut at 53 before training camp, only using current roster, with no changes between now and start of season, not accounting for any injuries. I believe the new kickoff will cause some Special Teams players to be kept over position players.

Offense – 25

ST – 3

Defense – 25

QB – 2 Murray, Riddle, C. Tune on PS

I think unless they bring in additional competition, this is the QBs going into the season

RB – 4 Conner, Carter, Bensen, Dallas, E. Mercado to PS

I think the 3 main guys are Conner, Carter, Bensen, Dallas is help on special teams, Mercado could make it due to his blitz pickup skills.

WR – 5 Harrison, Wilson, Jones, Dortch, Moore, Weaver to PS, Pascal to PS.

OL – 10 Johnson, Hernandez, Froholdt, Williams, Brown, Adams, everyone else depends on training camp.

I think 4 of the 5 starting positions are set, LG has a host of candidates, backup tackle is between Beachum and Jones, backup guard comes out of the LG group, depending on ability to backup center. I think Gaines and Brown are the backup center candidates.

ST – 3 Prater, Gillikin, Battle between Brewer and Shimko for last spot

I think Gannon, Rodgers are looking for Shimko to beat out Brewer, but hedging in case Shimko does not transition well to NFL. The returner is between Dallas, Dortch initially.

DL – 6 Nichols, Jones, Robinson, Stills, Collier, Lopez, B. Stille to PS, Hoskins to PS.

OLB – 6 Collins, Ojulari, Gardeck, Dimukeje, C. Thomas, X. Thomas to PS, Luketa to PS.

PS is a catch all and some of them could be cuts from other rosters.

Tune QB, Mercado RB, Seikovits(international), 2 OL, Stille DL, Hoskins DL, X. Thomas OLB, Luketa OLB, Bailey ILB, Clark CB, E. Jones CB. Taylor-Demerson S and 4 open spots.

OP
OP
N

nationsrj

Veteran
Reaction score
I thought he was drafted by Detroit but looks like undrafted. More likely to clear waivers.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

I think Brown is the starting left guard and #1 backup centre. If he has to step in, Adams can start at LG.

Beachum is the swing tackle because he can be trusted.

Khyiris Tonga was signed to play NT. Lopez to PS.
Bailey is the ST replacing Zeke Turner.
I will go with Jones over Price.
I will go with Taylor-Demerson

OP
OP
N

nationsrj

Veteran
Reaction score
I can agree with your reasoning for Brown. I think Beachum is at risk because Gannon and Monti are quite willing to stick younger players in the games. I think if one of the younger players are close to Beachum's ability, they may go with the younger player.
Tonga has been in and out the games either due to injury or better players in front of hiim, I would say it is more likely J. Jones and B. Nichols are before Tonga.
I also think both Price and Blount are good special teamers, and that Jones and Taylor-Demerson need to shine as special teamers to make the roster.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I can agree with your reasoning for Brown. I think Beachum is at risk because Gannon and Monti are quite willing to stick younger players in the games. I think if one of the younger players are close to Beachum's ability, they may go with the younger player.
Tonga has been in and out the games either due to injury or better players in front of hiim, I would say it is more likely J. Jones and B. Nichols are before Tonga.
I also think both Price and Blount are good special teamers, and that Jones and Taylor-Demerson need to shine as special teamers to make the roster.

IMO - Gannon won't be turning the backup tackle position to a late-round rookie this season.

Of course, Jones and Nichols are ahead of Tonga, but he, in turn, is ahead of Lopez at this point.

Draftees are ahead of fringe starters / S-Teamers.

If you subtract the QBs from this draft, Jones and Taylor-D are top 100 selections.

Very, very good chance you'd lose them both if you tried to sneak them through waivers.

Last edited:

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
10 offensive lineman sounds too high. Usually, teams carry 8 or 9 on the active 53 because of special teams. There will probably be 6 WR and another S or CB. Pascal didn't do jack squat as a WR last year but played every game on multiple special team units.

BulldogCard

Veteran
Reaction score
None of this matters right now anyways. It'll be the attitude of the players that have a chance that matters. It'll be the culture. If it's a locker room full of players not liking the top; front office, then their play will reflect that. They gotta like who they work for and that includes #1 who makes more than everyone else. People can't live in fear around the HQ anymore!

OP
OP
N

nationsrj

Veteran
Reaction score
Lets look at this from a different angle.
I only am including the 2nd and 1st year players to see if they are on the initial 53. Same restrictions as initial post.
I do expect some players with more experience to not make the initial roster, but not making any guesses now.
There are 15 rookies this year and 6 with 1 year experience and 18 with 2 years experience, that is 34 out of 91.
The players with 1 to 2 years experience
BJ Ojulari, M. Wilson, G. Williams, D. Stills, P. Johnson are locks for the 53.
K. Clark, C. Tune, S. Thomas, E. Demercado, J. Gaines, E. Higgins better than 50% likely on the 53.
V. McKinley, O. Pappoe, T. Nowaske, M. Hayes, A. Baccellia, B. Whiteheart, B. Stille, D. Wilson, D. Arias, T. Maddox-Williams, A. Pleasants, T. Vokolek less than 50% to make 53.
Rookies
M. Harrison, D. Robinson, M. Melton, T. Bensen, T. Reiman, I. Adams are locks.
E. Jones, C. Jones, D. Taylor-Demerson. J. Shimko are 50/50 to make the 53.
X. Weaver, J. Davis, X. Thomas, M. Murphy, T. Palmer will need to show enough in training camp to move up to make the 53.