Watchmen (HBO)

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Hoop Head, Oct 22, 2019.

1. offset

offset i have a special purpose

I never read the comic and barely remember the movie but I have really enjoyed the first 2 episodes. I don’t think anything other than basic knowledge is really needed to watch and enjoy the series.

2. Ouchie-Z-Clown

Ouchie-Z-Clown I'm better than Mulli!

I’ve enjoyed the first two episodes too. Limited knowledge.

3. Hoop Head

Hoop Head Señor Caca Cabeza Contributor

I'm glad you all are enjoying it even though you're not that familiar with the source material because all I heard after the pilot episode from people who weren't familiar with it is how confused they were. Maybe the people that told me they were confused just weren't feeling it and didn't want to say as much.

The 2nd episode was much more straight forward than the 1st. I'm really sold on it and can't wait to see where it goes.

I totally forgot that Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross were doing the music for the series also. That clicked when the Sister Night was doing her little recon in the Chief's house. Then it was obvious that Reznor was involved.

4. Covert Rain

Covert Rain Father smelt of elderberries!

So it's not connected to the movie at all?

5. Hoop Head

Not really, it's 30 years after. The movie just informs you of the world that it's set in and helps inform you of who some of the characters are that are referenced. The show seems to be catching people up on it's own but it's doing it in a roundabout way, only divulging information that is pertinent at the moment and fleshing it out later.

6. Hoop Head

I stumbled across this site where the writer dives deep into each episode and gives his take on various theories being discussed by the fandom and also throws out a few ideas of his own. Excellent breakdown of each episode. If you're not enjoying it then I don't think reading this would help at all, as I feel it's something for people that have enjoyed it and are looking to dive deeper than the episode itself.

Here is his breakdown of episode 1

Here is episode 2

He makes reference to the "Peteypedia" also, which is something Alan Moore did with the initial release of the book. He added info at the end of each issue. HBO has created a site and adds to it after every episode. Like for episode 1 they included a couple of faux police reports and the newspaper article about Adrien Viedt's supposed death, which was shown on the paper the old man in the wheelchair had.

Here is a link to that, each episode's info is marked as a file number, so episode 1 is file 1 and episode 2 is file 2, etc.

https://www.hbo.com/peteypedia

I thought I mentioned that before but I guess I didn't. Some of it is cool but I don't think anything is necessary reading. I just love shows like this, it reminds me of season 1 of True Detective or The Night Of where you could dive deeper into each episode for clues about what's to come and rewatching episodes to look for things you may have missed is almost a must.

7. offset

offset i have a special purpose

The third episode had a lot more “references” to the original. I think I may watch the movie to refresh my memory on some of the characters.

8. Bada0Bing

Bada0Bing Don't Stop Believin'

That’s a lot of information. I feel like I bit off more than I can chew. I finished episode one and I’ll give it a few more. If I like it I’ll finish the season and then circle back to read all this stuff and watch the season again. This show is a lot of work!

9. Krangthebrain

Krangthebrain Captain of Team Murray

The basic difference from the movie to the show is that in the movie, Dr. Manhattan was blamed for a nuclear explosion in NYC, where as in the comics Ozymandias created a giant "alien" squid and unleashed it on NYC.

The reason that Rorshach was killed is that his black and white moralism wouldn't allow for him to hide that Ozymandias was behind the "alien" squid. He was killed over it by Dr. Manhattan.

Fans of the comic were pissed that Zach Snyder choose for the explosion over the giant squid.

I've absolutely loved the show. I had to rewatch episode three so that it made more sense and I went and read blogs and such to understand it better. Something awful is going to happen and it's going to make for really compelling television viewing.

Hoop Head likes this.