Watchmen (HBO)

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Hoop Head, Oct 22, 2019.

1. Hoop Head

Hoop Head Registered

The Watchmen series started this past Sunday on HBO, October 20th.

The synopsis from IMDB is pretty vague and generic. It is a continuation of the story from the Alan Moore/Dave Gibbons graphic novel rather than a retelling or adaptation.

Set in an alternate history where masked vigilantes are treated as outlaws, Watchmen embraces the nostalgia of the original groundbreaking graphic novel of the same name, while attempting to break new ground of its own.

Created by - Damon Lindelof (The Leftovers, Lost)

Starring - Regina King, Don Johnson, Tim Blake Nelson, Jeremy Irons

WatchmenTVSeries.jpg

Last edited: Oct 22, 2019
  2. Hoop Head

Hoop Head Registered

The first episode was good, weird, but good. I read an interview with Damon Lindelof about this series and he said that the first season is self contained in a way and there is no guarantee there will be a season 2 or anything further in this series. All of the questions raised here should be answered by seasons end, which is a good way to play it. Apparently they could do more but they're not planning on it now. That should help the show, IMO. I appreciate series that don't drag things along and with a property like the Watchmen, they'll be able to do more by going a few different directions but there has already been some backlash because they're doing this on it's own,so they need to win people over.

After watching episode 1, I'm sold. I was on the fence in regards to this because I wasn't a huge fan of them skipping 30+ years beyond the original story but I don't worry about that time jump so much because now they're dealing with almost all original characters and telling a new story in a familiar world. It could end up being terrible but I doubt that based on the reviews I've seen so far. I know quite a few people who were on the fence, like I was, that are now sold as well and are interested to see the direction they take here.

3. puckhead

puckhead Waxing Gibbous Contributor

Is this completely separate from the movie that came out a while ago?

4. Hoop Head

Hoop Head Registered

Kind of. The movie was a really good adaptation of the graphic novel. The ending was a little different but that's really it. I'm not sure which version the show is following but it's not that important because both blamed Doctor Manhattan and he leaves earth because peace was achieved and the USSR & US joining forces to oppose him, even if he did nothing wrong.

The show jumps 34 years into the future from the happenings in the previous story with all new characters and a new story. How much it leans on previous material is yet to be seen but I think if you saw the film and haven't read the comic then you should be fine.

I'd recommend checking out the comic at some point because it really is one of the best comics ever.

5. puckhead

puckhead Waxing Gibbous Contributor

6. Covert Rain

Covert Rain Father smelt of elderberries!

The movie was very blah. So, I wasn't sure what to expect in terms of this show. Didn't read the comic so not sure how the original characters play into this story or if they follow the movie at all.

It's in my queue. I might watch it tonight.

7. Bada0Bing

Bada0Bing Don't Stop Believin'

I’ve watched 35 minutes and I’m confused as hell. Guess I should have done some homework prior to watching.

8. Hoop Head

Hoop Head Registered

I found this, should help.

Going to tag @puckhead as well since he asked about it specifically. It's a Damon Lindelof series, who did Lost and The Leftovers so that alone should tell people it'll be a little weird. I think it's got some elements of Lindelof being Lindelof but there are some things from the comic that might make it more enjoyable.

Here is a good breakdown of what you might need to know headed into this series from Variety....

https://www.vulture.com/article/watchmen-hbo-character-history-guide.html

And this piece also, which is a little more in depth.

https://www.indiewire.com/gallery/h...reening-panel-los-angeles-usa-04-june-2017-6/

Last edited: Oct 25, 2019
  9. Stout

Stout I gave my cards a victory...

Wow, shouldn't need any of that (I haven't read it) to watch a show! It's irrelevant for me, as I don't have HBO :(

10. Bada0Bing

Bada0Bing Don't Stop Believin'

Thanks! I’ll have a look before I finish up the episode. I enjoyed the show even though I was a bit lost.

11. Ouchie-Z-Clown

Ouchie-Z-Clown I'm better than Mulli!

I didn’t read the graphic novel but watched, and enjoyed, the movie. It’s kind of a weird concept super heroes without powers other than the weird atomic dude.
    From what I gathered from the movie to the show that’s odd is that in the original watchmen Rorschach was a good guy (albeit on the fringe end of violence if I recall correctly) and in the series the 7th cavalry (bad guys) are all wearing Rorschach masks. They are supposed to the far right. Does their philosophy align with the original Rorschach? Is this something we are going to learn about as the series progresses? Or are we just left scratching our heads?

edit: never mind, Hoop Head’s second link explains all.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2019
  12. Covert Rain

Have not watched it yet. Recommend or not so far?

13. Hoop Head

Hoop Head Registered

Are you familiar with the comic or the film from a decade ago? If so, then I'd definitely recommend. If you watched and enjoyed the HBO series The Leftovers then I'd also recommend. If you haven't seen any of those and aren't familiar with them, I'll leave it up to someone else to say whether they'd recommend it or not. I'm a big Damon Lindelof fan and also a big fan of the Watchmen comic but from what I've heard this series is a little confusing and weird to those who are going in completely fresh without being too familiar with the comic, never having seen the Watchmen film either, and not knowing what Lindelof has done, primarily The Leftovers but also Lost.

14. Covert Rain

The comic only at a basic knowledge level. Didn't read it. The movie I did see.

15. Hoop Head

Hoop Head Registered

If you're familiar with it then go ahead and give it a shot. It takes place 30 years after the comic but the world established in the comic is the main thing that's built on. Being familiar with it helps you settle in a little quicker, I think.