Watchmen (HBO)

HoodieBets

Formerly azcardsfan1616
Reaction score
This is the best show currently on TV. Regina King will definitely be nominated for an Emmy. I know originally they only wanted this to be for one season but with the attention and acclaim they could easily bring this back. The end of episode 7 is a Ned Stark Holy S type moment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is the best show currently on TV. Regina King will definitely be nominated for an Emmy. I know originally they only wanted this to be for one season but with the attention and acclaim they could easily bring this back. The end of episode 7 is a Ned Stark Holy S type moment.

yeah. it's taking massive swings and hitting grand slams seemingly every time the show steps up to the plate.

also, my buddy guided me toward comedy gold on on Black Twitter Sunday night, following #Watchmayne. It was freaking hilarious and he says it has been every Sunday night since the show started.

RockinDaMike

Veteran
Reaction score
For those who haven’t read the original comic, here’s a link to all the motion comicbook chapters straight from the comic that’s narrated and with a score.

It’s voiced by one guy who does amazing work but he also does the women voices which kinda threw me off the first time watching it but you get over it pretty quick especially how great he does every one else.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL4uOTybEMFoaKrBXDrMvPXv5TkgA4-73p

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

This show is really weird. I think it's good but I can also see why some people wouldn't like it. To me it's definitely not the best show on TV but it sure is entertaining each week.

HoodieBets

Formerly azcardsfan1616
Reaction score
This show is really weird. I think it's good but I can also see why some people wouldn't like it. To me it's definitely not the best show on TV but it sure is entertaining each week.

What part is weird? I never read the comics or anything and I love it. I could see people who don’t like the genre in general not caring for it. This show critically is revered as one of the best shows of the year.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
What part is weird? I never read the comics or anything and I love it. I could see people who don’t like the genre in general not caring for it. This show critically is revered as one of the best shows of the year. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Weird is weird. The characters and the dialogue. It's a staple of the series. I like the show. I just don't think it's close to being the best show on TV that's all.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Weird is weird. The characters and the dialogue. It's a staple of the series. I like the show. I just don't think it's close to being the best show on TV that's all.

I don't feel like the characters or dialogue is weird at all.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't feel like the characters or dialogue is weird at all.

Huh? Are you kidding me? It's one of the cornerstones of the Watchmen. Being so different. By the way by saying it's weird isn't necessarily a knock on it at all. I mean having clones killed for fun, dumping alien shrimp, having some ridiculous costumes is what makes this so different. I could make a list of the weird on this show but that's is not bad.

Also, got around to watching the finale tonight. Why did I know they were going to cut it where they did? Bastards.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
man... that was a revolutionary 8 episodes of TV only to go out with such a conventional, kinda underwhelming finale.

really great season tho.

and a GREAT example of someone taking a cherished piece of previous IP and actually doing something that simultaneously honors the old AND brings even more completely new and different to the property that not only furthers the story, but has something to new to say as well.

I'm looking at you... a certain trilogy which shall not be named.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
man... that was a revolutionary 8 episodes of TV only to go out with such a conventional, kinda underwhelming finale.

really great season tho.

and a GREAT example of someone taking a cherished piece of previous IP and actually doing something that simultaneously honors the old AND brings even more completely new and different to the property that not only furthers the story, but has something to new to say as well.

I'm looking at you... a certain trilogy which shall not be named.

Too bad they can't satisfy the original authors. They hated the movie and this version as well.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Too bad they can't satisfy the original authors. They hated the movie and this version as well.

I don't blame the authors on the movie. it was a mess. an ambitious mess, but a mess.

that said, authors can often be the worst judges of their adaptations because a) they're too attached to their own work and b) films are just such a different medium than books that it can be impossible sometimes to faithfully adapt whats there.

Stephen King famously loathes The Shining. Anthony Burgess hated A Clockwork Orange. Roald Dahl hated Willy Wonka And The Chocolate Factory. Winston Groon hated Forrest Gump. P.L. Travers hated Mary Poppins. Ken Kesey hated Cuckoo's Nest. Donn Pierce loathed Cool Hand Luke.

what so impressed me with this series was that I wasn't a huge fan of the movie. Like I said, there were a lot of things that were really interesting to me and the spine of the story was great... just thought it's execution left a lot to be desired.

but with just having seen the movie once or twice, the sequel series was able to transcend an ambitious mess into a near classic season of TV. And they did so by making the story relevant to today, taking what had worked before... pretty much the basic story beats and a couple characters... and then interweaving those into a new story with new characters that had something to say about the sociopolitical elements that are tearing at the fabric of of present day society, just like the original comic did in it's day.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't blame the authors on the movie. it was a mess. an ambitious mess, but a mess.

that said, authors can often be the worst judges of their adaptations because a) they're too attached to their own work and b) films are just such a different medium than books that it can be impossible sometimes to faithfully adapt whats there.

Stephen King famously loathes The Shining. Anthony Burgess hated A Clockwork Orange. Roald Dahl hated Willy Wonka And The Chocolate Factory. Winston Groon hated Forrest Gump. P.L. Travers hated Mary Poppins. Ken Kesey hated Cuckoo's Nest. Donn Pierce loathed Cool Hand Luke.

what so impressed me with this series was that I wasn't a huge fan of the movie. Like I said, there were a lot of things that were really interesting to me and the spine of the story was great... just thought it's execution left a lot to be desired.

but with just having seen the movie once or twice, the sequel series was able to transcend an ambitious mess into a near classic season of TV. And they did so by making the story relevant to today, taking what had worked before... pretty much the basic story beats and a couple characters... and then interweaving those into a new story with new characters that had something to say about the sociopolitical elements that are tearing at the fabric of of present day society, just like the original comic did in it's day.

I thought the movie was OK. Not great and not very memorable even though I liked some of the cast.

At least this show seems relevant in many ways.

It would be great if you could satisfy the creaters because ultimately it’s their baby but it doesn’t always happen and yet some classics were made as a result like some of your examples above.

Last edited:

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
It appears The Watchmen is done after one Season. Watchmen creator Damon Lindelof told USA Today that he has no interest in doing a second season of the show that took inspiration from the famous graphic novel. HBO programming chief Casey Bloys told USA Today that they'd only be interested in making more Watchmen if Lindelof wanted to do it.

Wow...I like Damon Lindelof but man if he is the only reason the show isn't going to continue? That's a pretty low blow for fans.

https://mashable.com/article/watchm...1zxsuqBBTNKq74vaKg7bwrlqcI24PQfu759B9XQWPvxls

OP
OP
Hoop Head

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It appears The Watchmen is done after one Season. Watchmen creator Damon Lindelof told USA Today that he has no interest in doing a second season of the show that took inspiration from the famous graphic novel. HBO programming chief Casey Bloys told USA Today that they'd only be interested in making more Watchmen if Lindelof wanted to do it.

Wow...I like Damon Lindelof but man if he is the only reason the show isn't going to continue? That's a pretty low blow for fans.

https://mashable.com/article/watchm...1zxsuqBBTNKq74vaKg7bwrlqcI24PQfu759B9XQWPvxls

Lindelof seemed straight forward throughout that he was making more of a miniseries than the first season of a new show. I want more but part of that has to do with how he hit a homerun with it, which wasn't a sure thing heading into it. There were a lot of people that thought a Watchmen TV show was a bad idea, especially since he seemed to be doing his own thing rather than adapting anything in canon already.

I really enjoyed it but I don't have much interest in seeing it pick up where it left off. If more is done, I hope they choose a different setting and characters to tell a new story rather than continue what Lindelof created.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lindelof seemed straight forward throughout that he was making more of a miniseries than the first season of a new show. I want more but part of that has to do with how he hit a homerun with it, which wasn't a sure thing heading into it. There were a lot of people that thought a Watchmen TV show was a bad idea, especially since he seemed to be doing his own thing rather than adapting anything in canon already.

I really enjoyed it but I don't have much interest in seeing it pick up where it left off. If more is done, I hope they choose a different setting and characters to tell a new story rather than continue what Lindelof created.

rare moment of agreement between us here.

Luciano

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Just finished the show.
Helluva show. I had no idea what I was getting in to.

I liked it a lot.

The FBI woman is awesome.

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
I had no idea what I was getting into when I started this show. I liked it, but I felt like I was missing a lot, so I bailed. I'll circle back someday.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Maybe the show I saw on Black Wallstreet was wrong. Supposedly Watchman starts right after Black Wallstreet is ripped apart. I got nothing like that out of the movie. It seems if that was the intent of the novel, there would be more tie in with the Black Wallstreet massacre in which part of a real town in the US was decimated after a woman was "supposedly" attacked by four black men.

OP
OP
Hoop Head

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe the show I saw on Black Wallstreet was wrong. Supposedly Watchman starts right after Black Wallstreet is ripped apart. I got nothing like that out of the movie. It seems if that was the intent of the novel, there would be more tie in with the Black Wallstreet massacre in which part of a real town in the US was decimated after a woman was "supposedly" attacked by four black men.

The show references Black Wallstreet a few times and uses it in it's world building. The movie and show are quite different, they feature a few of the same characters but the show takes place about 30 years after the graphic novel in which the film is based. The graphic novel and film are very similar but have a different ending.

The film ends with it being revealed that Ozymandias/Veidt framed Dr Manhattan for the destruction of a few major cities across the world and in the graphic novel Ozymandias/Veidt teleports a giant space squid that destroys New York, both cause the US & Russians to join forces to defeat it. The Watchmen learn Ozymandias was behind everything in both but agree to keep it secret because it has brought world peace and ended the cold war.

You can read more about the ending on the Wikipedia page, I'm just giving a brief description.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Watchmen#Plot

The first few episodes of the series does a lot of world building and the later episodes focus more on some of the characters from the original. Stick with it for 2-3 episodes and you should see more in the series that explains it's ties to Black Wallstreet and the original Watchmen.

Last edited:

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I just finished binging this tonight. I will say that it was extremely well made throughout, but the first 4 episodes were pretty confusing. Once they revealed the situation with Veidt, it really picked up steam.

Episodes 5-8 were nearly perfect television in pretty much every way. Episode 9 was very good as well but maybe not perfection.

My favorite episodes were probably the one where she goes "back in time" to experience the memories and episode 8 where they really get into the backstory of a certain character.