Watchmen (HBO)

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Watchmen series started this past Sunday on HBO, October 20th.

The synopsis from IMDB is pretty vague and generic. It is a continuation of the story from the Alan Moore/Dave Gibbons graphic novel rather than a retelling or adaptation.

Set in an alternate history where masked vigilantes are treated as outlaws, Watchmen embraces the nostalgia of the original groundbreaking graphic novel of the same name, while attempting to break new ground of its own.

Created by - Damon Lindelof (The Leftovers, Lost)

Starring - Regina King, Don Johnson, Tim Blake Nelson, Jeremy Irons

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:
OP
OP
Hoop Head

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The first episode was good, weird, but good. I read an interview with Damon Lindelof about this series and he said that the first season is self contained in a way and there is no guarantee there will be a season 2 or anything further in this series. All of the questions raised here should be answered by seasons end, which is a good way to play it. Apparently they could do more but they're not planning on it now. That should help the show, IMO. I appreciate series that don't drag things along and with a property like the Watchmen, they'll be able to do more by going a few different directions but there has already been some backlash because they're doing this on it's own,so they need to win people over.

After watching episode 1, I'm sold. I was on the fence in regards to this because I wasn't a huge fan of them skipping 30+ years beyond the original story but I don't worry about that time jump so much because now they're dealing with almost all original characters and telling a new story in a familiar world. It could end up being terrible but I doubt that based on the reviews I've seen so far. I know quite a few people who were on the fence, like I was, that are now sold as well and are interested to see the direction they take here.

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is this completely separate from the movie that came out a while ago?

OP
OP
Hoop Head

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is this completely separate from the movie that came out a while ago?

Kind of. The movie was a really good adaptation of the graphic novel. The ending was a little different but that's really it. I'm not sure which version the show is following but it's not that important because both blamed Doctor Manhattan and he leaves earth because peace was achieved and the USSR & US joining forces to oppose him, even if he did nothing wrong.

The show jumps 34 years into the future from the happenings in the previous story with all new characters and a new story. How much it leans on previous material is yet to be seen but I think if you saw the film and haven't read the comic then you should be fine.

I'd recommend checking out the comic at some point because it really is one of the best comics ever.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The movie was very blah. So, I wasn't sure what to expect in terms of this show. Didn't read the comic so not sure how the original characters play into this story or if they follow the movie at all.

It's in my queue. I might watch it tonight.

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
I’ve watched 35 minutes and I’m confused as hell. Guess I should have done some homework prior to watching.

OP
OP
Hoop Head

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve watched 35 minutes and I’m confused as hell. Guess I should have done some homework prior to watching.

I found this, should help.

Going to tag @puckhead as well since he asked about it specifically. It's a Damon Lindelof series, who did Lost and The Leftovers so that alone should tell people it'll be a little weird. I think it's got some elements of Lindelof being Lindelof but there are some things from the comic that might make it more enjoyable.

Here is a good breakdown of what you might need to know headed into this series from Variety....

https://www.vulture.com/article/watchmen-hbo-character-history-guide.html

And this piece also, which is a little more in depth.

https://www.indiewire.com/gallery/h...reening-panel-los-angeles-usa-04-june-2017-6/

Last edited:

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
I found this, should help.

Going to tag @puckhead as well since he asked about it specifically. It's a Damon Lindelof series, who did Lost and The Leftovers so that alone should tell people it'll be a little weird. I think it's got some elements of Lindelof being Lindelof but there are some things from the comic that might make it more enjoyable.

Here is a good breakdown of what you might need to know headed into this series from Variety....

https://www.vulture.com/article/watchmen-hbo-character-history-guide.html

And this piece also, which is a little more in depth.

https://www.indiewire.com/gallery/h...reening-panel-los-angeles-usa-04-june-2017-6/

Thanks! I’ll have a look before I finish up the episode. I enjoyed the show even though I was a bit lost.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I didn’t read the graphic novel but watched, and enjoyed, the movie. It’s kind of a weird concept super heroes without powers other than the weird atomic dude.
From what I gathered from the movie to the show that’s odd is that in the original watchmen Rorschach was a good guy (albeit on the fringe end of violence if I recall correctly) and in the series the 7th cavalry (bad guys) are all wearing Rorschach masks. They are supposed to the far right. Does their philosophy align with the original Rorschach? Is this something we are going to learn about as the series progresses? Or are we just left scratching our heads?

edit: never mind, Hoop Head’s second link explains all.

Last edited:

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Have not watched it yet. Recommend or not so far?

OP
OP
Hoop Head

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Have not watched it yet. Recommend or not so far?

Are you familiar with the comic or the film from a decade ago? If so, then I'd definitely recommend. If you watched and enjoyed the HBO series The Leftovers then I'd also recommend. If you haven't seen any of those and aren't familiar with them, I'll leave it up to someone else to say whether they'd recommend it or not. I'm a big Damon Lindelof fan and also a big fan of the Watchmen comic but from what I've heard this series is a little confusing and weird to those who are going in completely fresh without being too familiar with the comic, never having seen the Watchmen film either, and not knowing what Lindelof has done, primarily The Leftovers but also Lost.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are you familiar with the comic or the film from a decade ago? If so, then I'd definitely recommend. If you watched and enjoyed the HBO series The Leftovers then I'd also recommend. If you haven't seen any of those and aren't familiar with them, I'll leave it up to someone else to say whether they'd recommend it or not. I'm a big Damon Lindelof fan and also a big fan of the Watchmen comic but from what I've heard this series is a little confusing and weird to those who are going in completely fresh without being too familiar with the comic, never having seen the Watchmen film either, and not knowing what Lindelof has done, primarily The Leftovers but also Lost.

The comic only at a basic knowledge level. Didn't read it. The movie I did see.

OP
OP
Hoop Head

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The comic only at a basic knowledge level. Didn't read it. The movie I did see.

If you're familiar with it then go ahead and give it a shot. It takes place 30 years after the comic but the world established in the comic is the main thing that's built on. Being familiar with it helps you settle in a little quicker, I think.

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score
I never read the comic and barely remember the movie but I have really enjoyed the first 2 episodes. I don’t think anything other than basic knowledge is really needed to watch and enjoy the series.

OP
OP
Hoop Head

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm glad you all are enjoying it even though you're not that familiar with the source material because all I heard after the pilot episode from people who weren't familiar with it is how confused they were. Maybe the people that told me they were confused just weren't feeling it and didn't want to say as much.

The 2nd episode was much more straight forward than the 1st. I'm really sold on it and can't wait to see where it goes.

I totally forgot that Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross were doing the music for the series also. That clicked when the Sister Night was doing her little recon in the Chief's house. Then it was obvious that Reznor was involved.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you're familiar with it then go ahead and give it a shot. It takes place 30 years after the comic but the world established in the comic is the main thing that's built on. Being familiar with it helps you settle in a little quicker, I think.

So it's not connected to the movie at all?

OP
OP
Hoop Head

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So it's not connected to the movie at all?

Not really, it's 30 years after. The movie just informs you of the world that it's set in and helps inform you of who some of the characters are that are referenced. The show seems to be catching people up on it's own but it's doing it in a roundabout way, only divulging information that is pertinent at the moment and fleshing it out later.

OP
OP
Hoop Head

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I stumbled across this site where the writer dives deep into each episode and gives his take on various theories being discussed by the fandom and also throws out a few ideas of his own. Excellent breakdown of each episode. If you're not enjoying it then I don't think reading this would help at all, as I feel it's something for people that have enjoyed it and are looking to dive deeper than the episode itself.

Here is his breakdown of episode 1

Here is episode 2

He makes reference to the "Peteypedia" also, which is something Alan Moore did with the initial release of the book. He added info at the end of each issue. HBO has created a site and adds to it after every episode. Like for episode 1 they included a couple of faux police reports and the newspaper article about Adrien Viedt's supposed death, which was shown on the paper the old man in the wheelchair had.

Here is a link to that, each episode's info is marked as a file number, so episode 1 is file 1 and episode 2 is file 2, etc.

https://www.hbo.com/peteypedia

I thought I mentioned that before but I guess I didn't. Some of it is cool but I don't think anything is necessary reading. I just love shows like this, it reminds me of season 1 of True Detective or The Night Of where you could dive deeper into each episode for clues about what's to come and rewatching episodes to look for things you may have missed is almost a must.

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score
The third episode had a lot more “references” to the original. I think I may watch the movie to refresh my memory on some of the characters.

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
I stumbled across this site where the writer dives deep into each episode and gives his take on various theories being discussed by the fandom and also throws out a few ideas of his own. Excellent breakdown of each episode. If you're not enjoying it then I don't think reading this would help at all, as I feel it's something for people that have enjoyed it and are looking to dive deeper than the episode itself.

Here is his breakdown of episode 1

Here is episode 2

He makes reference to the "Peteypedia" also, which is something Alan Moore did with the initial release of the book. He added info at the end of each issue. HBO has created a site and adds to it after every episode. Like for episode 1 they included a couple of faux police reports and the newspaper article about Adrien Viedt's supposed death, which was shown on the paper the old man in the wheelchair had.

Here is a link to that, each episode's info is marked as a file number, so episode 1 is file 1 and episode 2 is file 2, etc.

https://www.hbo.com/peteypedia

I thought I mentioned that before but I guess I didn't. Some of it is cool but I don't think anything is necessary reading. I just love shows like this, it reminds me of season 1 of True Detective or The Night Of where you could dive deeper into each episode for clues about what's to come and rewatching episodes to look for things you may have missed is almost a must.
That’s a lot of information. I feel like I bit off more than I can chew. I finished episode one and I’ll give it a few more. If I like it I’ll finish the season and then circle back to read all this stuff and watch the season again. This show is a lot of work!

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
The basic difference from the movie to the show is that in the movie, Dr. Manhattan was blamed for a nuclear explosion in NYC, where as in the comics Ozymandias created a giant "alien" squid and unleashed it on NYC.

The reason that Rorshach was killed is that his black and white moralism wouldn't allow for him to hide that Ozymandias was behind the "alien" squid. He was killed over it by Dr. Manhattan.

Fans of the comic were pissed that Zach Snyder choose for the explosion over the giant squid.

I've absolutely loved the show. I had to rewatch episode three so that it made more sense and I went and read blogs and such to understand it better. Something awful is going to happen and it's going to make for really compelling television viewing.

RockinDaMike

Veteran
Reaction score
Holy crap, the last two weeks have been amazing. The direction was fantastic on both of them. Probably some of the best TV I've seen this year.

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose