Watching the Twins succeed from afar.....

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He doesn't understand just how athletic he is, nor how big he is. Nobody is questioning his athleticism- he is very athletic, but he doesn't know what to do with it. It's almost as if though his brain in telling him he is not athletic. He just doesn't seem to be able to process the fact that he is very tall, extremely long, and incredibly athletic. To use an extreme example, people who suffer a stroke find themselves in situations where they can't say or do what they have said and done thousands of times.

In a way, it's the issue Bridges had until about a month before the trade. He is extremely long, very athletic, has a great size, and decent handles, which makes him very difficult to stop. However, he had not been able to process that and translate it into being an actual offensive threat.
I don't think it's either. I think he is playing high half the time. He's got lots of money and he loves weed. So does Durant. KD is actually in the pot business.

That they both smoke a lot is not even a question. Whether it is impacting their games, well that's anyone's guess based on observation.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
I talked to someone last night with a close connection to Mikal’s family. The 2026 agenda that Book talked about is real and Mikal’s family is involved in the process. Obviously, a lot can happen between now and then, but just putting that out there that Mikal has legit interest in returning

Last edited:

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I talked to someone last night with a close connection to Mikal’s family. The 2026 agenda that Book talked about is real and Mikal’s family is involved in the process. Obviously, a lot can happen between now and then, but just putting that out there that Mikal has legit interest in returning
this doesn't surprise me.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Would be shocked if Brooklyn doesn’t give him an extension before that.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Wow. 4/90 or more. We would have had a hard time doing that with Paul, Book, Mikal, and Ayton.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow. 4/90 or more. We would have had a hard time doing that with Paul, Book, Mikal, and Ayton.
I don't see why? With the cap rising to probably 134M it really wouldn't be all that difficult even with Sarver. Whether he'd really been willing to go over the cap as he'd said is another matter. But keep in mind if CJ gets a Mikal type deal he and Bridges together would still be a few million under Durant's salary next season.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't see why? With the cap rising to probably 134M it really wouldn't be all that difficult even with Sarver. Whether he'd really been willing to go over the cap as he'd said is another matter. But keep in mind if CJ gets a Mikal type deal he and Bridges together would still be a few million under Durant's salary next season.
I don't think they had any intention of resigning him. He wasn't the answer at PF. We still lacked rebounding and toughness and also needed another PG. I don't see the Suns being able to do all 3 while resigning Cam J when we were so far over the Luxury Tax already. I knew when all this trade stuff happened Cam J was going to be part of it.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think they had any intention of resigning him. He wasn't the answer at PF. We still lacked rebounding and toughness and also needed another PG. I don't see the Suns being able to do all 3 while resigning Cam J when we were so far over the Luxury Tax already. I knew when all this trade stuff happened Cam J was going to be part of it.

We still need those things and you seem to ignoring how we're paying more now for less players. Cam J may not have been the long term solution at PF but I think part of why he's getting the deal he is has to do with Brooklyn having more cash available. I believe the Suns could have locked him in for a little less, probably 4 years/$75 million. That's a little rich for Sixth Man money but manageable until someone else needs paid with CP3's deal coming off the books sooner than later.

There were some reports that 4y/$60m could have gotten it done last off-season but the team didn't go over $50m. Sarver was incredibly cheap and was fine paying the tax once or twice but he wasn't going to continue paying the tax unless we repeatedly made the finals. Even then I believe the banker in him would have caused him to cut bait sooner than later.

itlnsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
How would not re-signing Cam J help with rebounding, toughness, and gaining another pg?

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
We still need those things and you seem to ignoring how we're paying more now for less players. Cam J may not have been the long term solution at PF but I think part of why he's getting the deal he is has to do with Brooklyn having more cash available. I believe the Suns could have locked him in for a little less, probably 4 years/$75 million. That's a little rich for Sixth Man money but manageable until someone else needs paid with CP3's deal coming off the books sooner than later.

There were some reports that 4y/$60m could have gotten it done last off-season but the team didn't go over $50m. Sarver was incredibly cheap and was fine paying the tax once or twice but he wasn't going to continue paying the tax unless we repeatedly made the finals. Even then I believe the banker in him would have caused him to cut bait sooner than later.
How am I ignore it? Also, I agree that Sarver had his limits. The Suns simply were not going to payout another nearly 100 million dollar contract and compete with GS for the top Luxury tax spot. Was never going to happen. I have been saying for the last 2 years that Cam J wasn't going to be resigned by the Suns or would be part of a trade.

How would not re-signing Cam J help with rebounding, toughness, and gaining another pg?
The Suns would have looked to add toughness through smaller aquisitions or other trades that were not going to add 100 million on top of their current Luxury tax bill. They likely would have to be creative.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Even if the Suns decided not to keep Cam Johnson, a sign-and-trade would have been another option.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Even if the Suns decided not to keep Cam Johnson, a sign-and-trade would have been another option.
Assuming they wanted that amount of salary on top of their current luxury tax bill.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Assuming they wanted that amount of salary on top of their current luxury tax bill.

Our tax bill literally increased substantially with the trade that sent Cam J off. Assuming that the team wouldn't increase the tax bill if the deal wasn't made doesn't add up. If the tax was an issue, why was it increased for less depth, requiring more spending elsewhere. If Cam J were retained, we still wouldn't be at our current tax level and have less holes to fill. So your claim we wouldn't have kept Cam for tax reasons doesn't add up.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Our tax bill literally increased substantially with the trade that sent Cam J off. Assuming that the team wouldn't increase the tax bill if the deal wasn't made doesn't add up. If the tax was an issue, why was it increased for less depth, requiring more spending elsewhere. If Cam J were retained, we still wouldn't be at our current tax level and have less holes to fill. So your claim we wouldn't have kept Cam for tax reasons doesn't add up.
Two different owners with two different appetites for the Luxury tax balancing what we would give up and get back in return.

Last edited:

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Two different owners with two different appetites for the Luxury tax balancing what we would give up and get back in return.

No, that's not it. Sarver sold, the decision to re-sign Cam was then left up to Ishbia. So how Sarver would handle it is moot.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
No, that's not it. Sarver sold, the decision to re-sign Cam was then left up to Ishbia. So how Sarver would handle it is moot.
I think there is some confusion. Maybe my fault. What I am saying, is that if Sarver still owned the team, not only would the Durant trade not have happened, IMO we don't resign Cam J either. I have been saying for the past two seasons the Suns were not going to resign Cam J because I don't believe Sarver wanted to add to the luxury tax for a Cam J level player. The only way he would consider more Luxury tax is if we were getting a player of Durant's calibur in return somehow. He wasn't doing that for Cam J.

Last edited:

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think there is some confusion. Maybe my fault. What I am saying, is that if Sarver still owned the team, not only would the Durant trade not have happened, we don't resign Cam J either. I have been saying for the past two seasons the Suns were not going to resign Cam J because I don't believe Sarver wanted to add to the luxury tax.

I'm not sure why we are traveling down this road. Sarver said he would pay the luxury tax. However, I doubt he would have coughed up the assets for the Durant trade.

I'm not sure why Cam Johnson wasn't extended, but I think it had more to do with James Jones chasing after Durant more than anything else. The same with the Suns not trading Jae Crowder earlier in the season.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure why we are traveling down this road. Sarver said he would pay the luxury tax. However, I doubt he would have coughed up the assets for the Durant trade.

I'm not sure why Cam Johnson wasn't extended, but I think it had more to do with James Jones chasing after Durant more than anything else. The same with the Suns not trading Jae Crowder earlier in the season.
Sarver said he would pay the luxury tax. He didn't say he would keep adding to it unabashedly. Again, just my opinion but it sure didn't feel like the Suns thought of him as a priority to get extended. Again, there could have been mitigating circumstances and I wanted him to be resigned.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose