Watching the Twins succeed from afar.....

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
It's great to see Bridges doing so well in Brooklyn (and Cam to a lesser extent). They were both well liked here for good reasons, and I don't think anyone here would have been happy to see either fail with their new team, even if it made us collectively feel even more secure about the deal.

Still, I do have to wonder why Bridges couldn't/didn't emerge at a similar level here. There has to be some reason... or we may just have to concede it wasn't going to happen here and be at peace with that.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's great to see Bridges doing so well in Brooklyn (and Cam to a lesser extent). They were both well liked here for good reasons, and I don't think anyone here would have been happy to see either fail with their new team, even if it made us collectively feel even more secure about the deal.

Still, I do have to wonder why Bridges couldn't/didn't emerge at a similar level here. There has to be some reason... or we may just have to concede it wasn't going to happen here and be at peace with that.
I think it's just that they've made him the centerpiece of the team and I'm guessing he probably feels a little less pressure there given the circumstances. And I suspect he'll level out some when teams start highlighting him more in their scouting reports.

But he was already scoring well his last 13 games with us although he wasn't putting up the occasional 30 or 40 point nights like he has with Brooklyn. Still, closing out his Suns tenure with games of 24,21,28,22,24,18,16,25,29,23,25,24 and 21 suggests he was already trending upward as a scorer.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I heard about the trade from a coworker. He’s a big Bulls fan, I asked what the Suns gave up. His answer WHO CARES

I've seen this trade compared to the Barkley trade here... how people, at the time, complained about losing Horny, but those Barkley years, they were incredible, no one whined about it later. Great trade.

Losing Bridges is, somewhat, like losing Jeff Hornacek (although I think Bridges is better).

In this trade we also gave up the majority of our draft over the next 7 years.

Among the players we drafted using our own 1st round pick in the 7 years after the Barkley trade... Mike Finley, Steve Nash, Shawn Marion. Amare only barely clears this threshold.

I care what we gave up, the stakes for this trade are much higher. It's all or nothing. If this trade fails it will be among the all time disasters for this team.

Durant has been great so far, his impact has been obvious. I hope it stays as such, a Suns title would mean more, by far, than any other championship for a team I root for.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think it's just that they've made him the centerpiece of the team and I'm guessing he probably feels a little less pressure there given the circumstances. And I suspect he'll level out some when teams start highlighting him more in their scouting reports.

But he was already scoring well his last 13 games with us although he wasn't putting up the occasional 30 or 40 point nights like he has with Brooklyn. Still, closing out his Suns tenure with games of 24,21,28,22,24,18,16,25,29,23,25,24 and 21 suggests he was already trending upward as a scorer.
Mikal is the ultimate complementary player. He does whatever is necessary to win. He started the change here when Book was out. He has been asked to be the lead guy now and that is what he is doing.

OP
OP
Dr. Jones

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
I've seen this trade compared to the Barkley trade here... how people, at the time, complained about losing Horny, but those Barkley years, they were incredible, no one whined about it later. Great trade.

Losing Bridges is, somewhat, like losing Jeff Hornacek (although I think Bridges is better).

In this trade we also gave up the majority of our draft over the next 7 years.

Among the players we drafted using our own 1st round pick in the 7 years after the Barkley trade... Mike Finley, Steve Nash, Shawn Marion. Amare only barely clears this threshold.

I care what we gave up, the stakes for this trade are much higher. It's all or nothing. If this trade fails it will be among the all time disasters for this team.

Durant has been great so far, his impact has been obvious. I hope it stays as such, a Suns title would mean more, by far, than any other championship for a team I root for.
This is mostly how I feel. 14 year old me was heartbroken when Horny left town. And I remember seeing a photo of him and the family crying as they took off from Sky Harbor Man did that crush me. He was my favorite player at that time for many reasons and I still regard his time here with fondness. But that young kid knew then what I still know today...... This is what it takes to win and we are better now than we were before.

Also: Very proud of how Mikal has responded. Love that dude too. But it had to be.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score

I think he was improving and stepping up before the trade. He accelerated his progress with the Nets because he has a much bigger role and a lot less pressure. It's really an ideal situation for him and Cam.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think he was improving and stepping up before the trade. He accelerated his progress with the Nets because he has a much bigger role and a lot less pressure. It's really an ideal situation for him and Cam.

Exactly. Also, the Suns had more talent surrounding Bridges in Phoenix. He can spread his wings in Brooklyn.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Mikal is being utilized a lot as a pick and roll ballhandler with the Nets. We simply didn't need much of that from him on this team because we have Booker and CP. He also had the security blanket of dumping the ball to Ayton in the half court set. He really doesn't have that with Claxton. I liken what they are doing offensively to a little like what you see with the Mavs with Kyrie and Luka. It's two ballhandlers that they just constantly put in ISO and pick and roll situations and let them go to work with a lob threat and spot up shooters around them.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Going from the 3rd or 4th option to the 1st is definitely going to help Mikal. Sometimes, just being told you’re the guy is enough to get the antennas up. Good for him and Cam balling out in BK

Bufalay

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
There is a real possibility that Bridges ends up being as good as or better than Booker. I think it's unlikely, but I think there is a clear roadmap in place for that to happen.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Going from the 3rd or 4th option to the 1st is definitely going to help Mikal. Sometimes, just being told you’re the guy is enough to get the antennas up. Good for him and Cam balling out in BK
It's impossible to know your full potential unless you are given the opportunity.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
There is a real possibility that Bridges ends up being as good as or better than Booker. I think it's unlikely, but I think there is a clear roadmap in place for that to happen.
I doubt it. They are the same age and Booker is a significantly better scorer and facilitator already. I still think Booker will continue to get better for a while still as well.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Booker is in the conversation for top SG in the league, undoubtedly top 3, and also in the conversation for top 10 players in the league while undoubtedly in the top 20. I don't see Mikal reaching those heights. He has All-Star potential but I don't think he'll reach All-NBA heights.

I've only watched 1 half of a Nets game since the trade but I'm curious how his defense has been since the trade. He doesn't have good defenders around him and he's not on a defensive oriented team either. I'm not an advanced stats guy either, especially advanced defensive stats. How has he fared on that end? I don't doubt the effort but I'm curious with the added offensive load, has he held up defensively?

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Booker is in the conversation for top SG in the league, undoubtedly top 3, and also in the conversation for top 10 players in the league while undoubtedly in the top 20. I don't see Mikal reaching those heights. He has All-Star potential but I don't think he'll reach All-NBA heights.

I've only watched 1 half of a Nets game since the trade but I'm curious how his defense has been since the trade. He doesn't have good defenders around him and he's not on a defensive oriented team either. I'm not an advanced stats guy either, especially advanced defensive stats. How has he fared on that end? I don't doubt the effort but I'm curious with the added offensive load, has he held up defensively?
It's tough to fully pin point defensive impact, but players are shooting 1% better against him than their season averages. Players are actually shooting marginally worse against Booker than their average for instance.

Bufalay

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I doubt it. They are the same age and Booker is a significantly better scorer and facilitator already. I still think Booker will continue to get better for a while still as well.
I doubt it too, but its something I hadn't even considered until now. Booker will likely always be a better offensive player, but Bridges will always be much better on defense.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hadn't given this much consideration but I'd say even if it looks possible now, we'd have to see how Mikal holds up when he's been the focal point of the offense for an extended period. He's going to get a lot more defensive attention and I just don't see him thriving against those double and triple teams that Devin faces. And when he's working that hard on offense, his defense is likely to suffer a bit too.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This thread is great. I love those guys. One more interesting thing to watch.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Isn't Mikal older than Booker by a few months? Mikal has a lot of catching up to do. The only way that could happen is inj . . . nah, not even going to say it.

wagonmound464

Rookie
Reaction score
I miss both of those guys. Bridges never missed a Suns game due to injury,,,and Cam is a smart player graduating
in the top % of his college class. Lots of good b/ball players coming out of college,,,but not with the highest IQs.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose