Washington Commanders (Renamed 2/2/22)

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Jeebus.

That sounds like a fake name a movie would use for its fake teams so they don't have to pay royalty to the real teams.

FFS, an actual movie that did this (The Replacements) had a better name for Washington: the Sentinels.
U mean 1 with crazy russel crow lol

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
whats the shortened nickname for this team: the Comms? the Commies? the 'manders?

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
Overall not a fan of this.

I don't mind the updated primary helmet and actually like the jackets they are wearing

The jerseys are rough

The name isn't good, bit could have been fine if everything else was done better

Overall, I see why Snyder was so reluctant to change - 2 years and they get this mishandled mess......

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Terrible. Football team was better.

If I had a say, I would change Washington to DC first and foremost. I also think they should have gone with a more respectful moniker for native americans to keep the tradition intact.

DC generals
DC Natives
DC Vultures
DC Destroyers

so many better things than the commanders.

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score
The Washington Football Team really went from the Redskins to the people who killed them.

Well done!

(NOTE: Saw this online)

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
I bet they go after Steamin' Willie Beamen in free agency.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Red jerseys, yellow stars as trim...

The "******" jokes are going to be so obvious that whoever buys the team when Snyder is eventually forced out will change it again.

Edit: C-o-m-m-i-e is filtered?

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wright declined to say which names were the finalists. But it was widely known that others under consideration included Presidents, Brigade, Redhogs, Football Team, Armada, Defenders and Red Wolves.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
Again the jerseys have no cohesion between them. The away white jersey looks like it should belong to the Cardinals or the Falcons, then also having 'Washington" on it opposed to the 'Commanders', as if the Republican and Democrat party were trying to compromise... uniforms look so fugly that they would be better off calling them the 'commandos' and they wore nothing at all lol

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
The name can't really be abbreviated. And it's way too long for good merch ideas.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
horrible. You get one shot at a new name and that's what you come up with?

"Wizards" is pretty cool. "Titans" is awesome. "Ravens" is good too.

"Commanders"? lol..
I think the "Ravens" got their name from the book by Edgar Allen Poe if I'm not mistaken? The Raven book he wrote & he was from Baltimore I believe? Basically something associated with that area. Yes commanders is associated with Washington but the unis are hideous. Not sure how the Titans associates with Tennessee & I really don't like their unis either. The Ravens unis & logo I actually do like. One could say the "Cardinals" don't associate with Arizona either but the logo fits better than the Oilers would in Tennessee.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I liked Washington Warriors. Continue the native motif in a respectable way. Then again, using an ethnic group as a mascot isn't really that respectable in the first place.

Or Red Wolves would have been cool as well with the reintroduction of the red wolf all over America from the last remaining group in eastern North Carolina, so it would have been the native species in Virginia as well.
I think the warriors or red wolves would've been perfect with the old style unis & colors just having only the logo on the helmet different. I saw both the warriors & red wolves logos with the old colors & uni design a little over a year ago. I thought the person that designed those & put both of them online for viewing did a damn good job. If I was a skin's fan I would've been happy with either.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
They should have gone with Redhogs or Warthogs, a name that would tie into their history and fit with the same colors and uniform.

Commanders is comically bad.

Those who have said it sounds like the name of a team in a bad sports movie because they don't own the rights are dead on... right down to the logo and uniforms that it looks like someone took 20 minutes throwing together.

Western Font

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Though I’m fully in support of the change I don’t have any good alternative suggestions. This does seem to fall in the “try to please everyone/please no one” gap though. I imagine the overt military stuff is off-putting to some and patronizing to others.

As for the uniforms, I would have gone as close to the 80s Super Bowl unis as possible. You could put almost any other logo on the helmets and they’d look good. Put the “W” in the old circle as they once did with an “R,” but without the feather, for example.

Teams overthink this. Last year the Edmonton Eskimos changed their name to Elks partly so they could keep the long-standing EE logo, and they still changed the helmet to antlers. Someone must have felt like they really needed to brand the new identity. Someone was wrong.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard