Washington Commanders (Renamed 2/2/22)

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
Moderators @jf-08 , - can we merge this thread with the one below please?

OP
OP
jf-08

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Moderators @jf-08 , - can we merge this thread with the one below please?

Will do.

TRW

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
It’s a name. Don’t really care. The name before the WFT was not acceptable so Commanders is better to me. Win and the name is irrelevant.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think Washington could have used a shorter name. Also I don't like the connotation.

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
Don't they ever consult with the fan base to see how popular such an important part of their franchise would be? Surely fans could have done better than that.

They could have just got a dictionary and turned to the W's and found a name that went with Washington and sounded better than Commanders.

Warhead, Wave, Wharf, Wings, Wankers, Walkers, Wallapalooza, Watchers, Woozies, Whozits, Whippersnappers, Whatsits, Willows, Whodat, Wooosh, Wammers, Why, What, When, Who, Whynot

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I liked Washington Warriors. Continue the native motif in a respectable way. Then again, using an ethnic group as a mascot isn't really that respectable in the first place.

Or Red Wolves would have been cool as well with the reintroduction of the red wolf all over America from the last remaining group in eastern North Carolina, so it would have been the native species in Virginia as well.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
I liked Washington Warriors. Continue the native motif in a respectable way. Then again, using an ethnic group as a mascot isn't really that respectable in the first place.

Or Red Wolves would have been cool as well with the reintroduction of the red wolf all over America from the last remaining group in eastern North Carolina, so it would have been the native species in Virginia as well.
Exactly, the problem was the derogatory name and not the Native American theme. The logo for the Redskins was actually done by a artist who was a Blackfoot. They could have kept that logo, and they could have kept that motif to then honor Native Americans by simply changing the name to an acceptable use as Warriors, and they could have done it easily with no fanfare and everyone would have been happy a long freaking time ago... but hey, it's Washington DC where everything takes forever and is often then a botch job lol