Warriors + Cousins = the NBA HAS JUMPED THE SHARK

OP
OP
Ouchie-Z-Clown

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Really? Us Cards fans know the old "bandwagon fans" nonsense is just sour grapes commentary when perennial losers become kings of the hill.

https://www.sbnation.com/nba/2018/7/3/17530210/demarcus-cousins-warriors-signing-2018-23-thoughts
Riiiiight all these guys wearing curry jerseys have been lifelong closet fans. There are a collection of lifelong diehard fans (like Russ - I’ve seen his fandom for years), but there are a TON of bandwagon fans. Happens in every sport and every champion.

OP
OP
Ouchie-Z-Clown

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I don't have an issue with the warriors. They are taking advantage of a completely broken system.

My issue has been and continues to be with the league. When lebron, wade and Bosh joined up in Miami the league acted as though it were a fluke. When durant signed with the warriors, they again acted like it's a fluke. ITS NOT A FLUKE IF IT CONTINUES TO HAPPEN!

You have a few teams trying to form super teams filled with superstars. Half of the league is trying to lose as it's the only way for them to get superstars. The rest are treading water. In short, it's a mess that they desperately need to fix.
This. 100% this. I don’t blame the warriors. I don’t respect them much as individual players because they didn’t have to carry the load like many of their predecessors. But I don’t blame them. I wish they were the suns. I do, however think the league is a joke because (a) this is possible and (b) it’s seemingly becoming more the norm.

OP
OP
Ouchie-Z-Clown

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Boston with Garnett, Allen, and Paul pierce is another example. The league loves this. They want status quo.

Some of us prefer at least a little parity. We can pretty much eliminate 26 of the teams from contention before the season has started. When MLB has more parity then you, you should realize there's a problem
Eh I saw that as different. That wasn’t players gerrymandering the system to create competitive imbalance. That was ainge being a genius. He traded for those guys.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Eh I saw that as different. That wasn’t players gerrymandering the system to create competitive imbalance. That was ainge being a genius. He traded for those guys.
I agree. What bugs us is that is not the GM's and owners building teams. It's the players getting a group of their buddies together. It's the players running the league. And the reason that bothers us is that players come and go easily. Owners and franchises do not.

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
Riiiiight all these guys wearing curry jerseys have been lifelong closet fans. There are a collection of lifelong diehard fans (like Russ - I’ve seen his fandom for years), but there are a TON of bandwagon fans. Happens in every sport and every champion.
Yes, but painting the majority of the fanbase as such is absurd. Warriors fans are some of the utmost loyal fans in the NBA. They were die-hard (myself included) for Dubs when they were the perennial joke of the league.

The majority of the "bandwagoners" are young kids attracted to the team and is how the fanbase grows, not sure how that is a bad thing.

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
Yes, but painting the majority of the fanbase as such is absurd. Warriors fans are some of the utmost loyal fans in the NBA. They were die-hard (myself included) for Dubs when they were the perennial joke of the league.

The majority of the "bandwagoners" are young kids attracted to the team and is how the fanbase grows, not sure how that is a bad thing.
Unfortunately, for me, my oldest loves the Thunder and not my Warriors of which there are three generations of fandom...

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Fair. However it was the start of the super team trend that most teams try to copy

As like a billion people on this board have posted, it wasn't the start of super teams. Super Teams have existed for many years. Heck the Suns were almost a super team with Nash, Stoudemire, and Marion.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score

LOL I see Golden State jerseys here in LA all the time. The people I've asked say "Well it is a California team and they are winning!" (little do they know they blatantly admitted they were bandwagoning).

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
LOL I see Golden State jerseys here in LA all the time. The people I've asked say "Well it is a California team and they are winning!" (little do they know they blatantly admitted they were bandwagoning).
They must hang out with Snoop Dog. :D But seriously, I see tons and tons of Curry and Durant jerseys/T-shirts on kids out here.

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
You should ask them who Winston Garland is and see if they know the answer. ;)

ozzfloyd

The Carp
Reaction score
Winning creates fans. Most fans technically began as 'bandwagon fans'. My 1st memories of the Suns were during their upswing in the late 80s/early 90s. At that time basketball was just beginning to interest me. Had the Suns been terrible at that moment I'd likely be a fan of a different franchise right now.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I used to stick my nose up at bandwagon fans but once free agency hit the major sports, I changed my outlook. There is nothing to really be "loyal" to so it makes sense for the casual fan to jump on and off as they desire. I'll admit, the mid-90's Duke bandwagon fans really got to me but that was more on Dukie Vitale and ESPN than the fans themselves.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Winning creates fans. Most fans technically began as 'bandwagon fans'. My 1st memories of the Suns were during their upswing in the late 80s/early 90s. At that time basketball was just beginning to interest me. Had the Suns been terrible at that moment I'd likely be a fan of a different franchise right now.

Yeah, I was a diehard bandwagon fan, go figure. In the 60's I listened to the Dodgers almost daily on my little transistor radio. Then, I got to attend Red Sox preseason baseball games (back when you could really meet and talk to the players, even the stars) which turned me into a huge Boston fan. Then, Jim Palmer left Scottsdale and joined the Orioles organization so I quickly became a Baltimore fan. I then added the A's to my list of teams because of their strong ASU ties. Then in the mid 70's I jumped to the Reds, mostly because of their star power. I followed that move to the Braves when Bob Horner was drafted and I remained an Atlanta fan until the DBacks came about.

OP
OP
Ouchie-Z-Clown

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Speaks poorly of your sports character. I became a fan during the drug years because I lived in Phoenix and they were the PHOENIX suns. See how that works? Never understood how parents allow their children to become frontrunning fans.

ozzfloyd

The Carp
Reaction score
Speaks poorly of your sports character. I became a fan during the drug years because I lived in Phoenix and they were the PHOENIX suns. See how that works? Never understood how parents allow their children to become frontrunning fans.

You lived in PHOENIX...I did not. Worry more about your own character, it's been on display a lot lately...

OP
OP
Ouchie-Z-Clown

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Yeah, I was a diehard bandwagon fan, go figure. In the 60's I listened to the Dodgers almost daily on my little transistor radio. Then, I got to attend Red Sox preseason baseball games (back when you could really meet and talk to the players, even the stars) which turned me into a huge Boston fan. Then, Jim Palmer left Scottsdale and joined the Orioles organization so I quickly became a Baltimore fan. I then added the A's to my list of teams because of their strong ASU ties. Then in the mid 70's I jumped to the Reds, mostly because of their star power. I followed that move to the Braves when Bob Horner was drafted and I remained an Atlanta fan until the DBacks came about.
Eh more explainable when your hometown doesn’t have a team.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They also had David Lee in there. Wasn't he making big money? Like $18 million or something? I know he was set to expire after that first title win but I remember him helping them overcome the Cavs that year as their small ball Center. Not sure how they got him though. I think it was the Knicks who signed him to that deal, initially.

Lee is where some luck, and drafting well came into play. Lee got hurt so they put this 2nd round draft pick into the lineup and he played so well the Death Lineup was born, Draymond became a star, and Lee, the highest paid player on that team, became expendable. They traded Lee in a salary dump. So was it lucky Draymond was that good yes, but was it good business for the Warriors to recognize that they didn't need to keep Lee, and find someone(Boston) to take him off their hands, yes.

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
As like a billion people on this board have posted, it wasn't the start of super teams. Super Teams have existed for many years. Heck the Suns were almost a super team with Nash, Stoudemire, and Marion.

Yes and no. Most teams are obsessed with having a "big 3." When people mention that do you think they are talking about Jordan, Pippen and Kukoc?

Yes super teams have existed for a long time. I'm not arguing that. I'm saying that the league has had dynasties for years and have done very little about it.

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
So in summation: people are okay with Super-teams as long as players have no say in the process?