Warriors + Cousins = the NBA HAS JUMPED THE SHARK

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can see that. It makes things less competitive this season but it is just a one year deal. Let the Warriors steamroll everyone else. I think it could bring about their end quicker. Keeping that many stars happy is next to impossible. They may be able to pull it off for another year but how much longer can they really get by like that? Let them implode. I can't see any teams being anxious to help them when they're in salary cap hell down the line and looking to unload contracts. They'll pay for it, eventually. If not financially then their fanbase will disappear when they finally come back down to earth.

The fanbase thing really isn't true. Mieuli ran the franchise into the ground trying to save money and yes it was possible to get good seats in the cheap seats by just walking down to the good ones then, but when you're starting Wesley Cox and Joey Hassett I don't think you can really blame fans for not attending.

once the owner situation changed the fans came back. yes there's a huge new fan base now too, but some of that is simple demographic changes in the Bay Area. The Warriors now have a huge Asian fan base, Chinese and Filipino Americans make up a huge part of the crowd it's why they do Appreciation nights for both every year. That's not a bandwagon thing, it's a changing demographics thing, there wasn't nearly as large a population of both in the mid 70's as there is now.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Wow LA with their cap space couldn't entice Cousins or maybe LeBron said hell no when they asked him. I thought Howard was going to sign with them but this tops even that.

I think it's the other way around I think the whole go play with Lebron thing is not that apealing to guys anymore it's just a circus and Lebron is super quick to throw guys under the bus

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Warriors are singlehandedly ushering in the era of the hard cap.

The dudes on NBA radio are having a heart attack over this move hilarious.

The fans calling in are distraught and apoplectic.

Love this move...it's a big middle finger to the Lakers and takes lebron off the front page. Hell, Boogie may no even play 75% of the season and worst case they have a huge tradable asset. Best case, this acquisition is insurance for possible losing KD and/or Klay or Dray next year.

How he is a tradable asset or insurance for them leaving next year? They don't get his bird rights and this is a one year deal. They won't have him next season if someone bails, they won't be able to afford him. It's insurance if someone gets injured this year but that's about it. He's not a tradable asset either. The league has weird rules about trading guys on 1 year deals. Even if they didn't, he won't return from his injury until January at the soonest and having to match salaries in trades limits their options quite a bit.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Absolutely.

When they signed those contracts other teams had about 2 stars each. It was very hard to find a team that didn't have at least 1 star. (Clippers and Dallas for a long time).

Payton/Kemp
Malone/Stockton
MJ/Pippen
Hardaway/Mullen
etc...

So the "load up" on mid range stars didn't lopside the field at all. The league was healthy and balanced even with a criminal in charge.

Nowadays you can name 15 teams that don't have 1 legit star. Not 1. This league is awful. You might as well cancel the entire East Conference schedule. Cancel the Finals. Let LA and GS pretend to duke it out in the WCF and watch GS annihilate them in 4 games.

I'm dead serious about this question: Could you pick 5 players from any team not named LA, GS, or SA and threaten the Warriors? Davis, Harden, Westbrook, the Unicorn, and Booker couldn't beat them right now.

Then don't want it's that easy

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How he is a tradable asset or insurance for them leaving next year? They don't get his bird rights and this is a one year deal. They won't have him next season if someone bails, they won't be able to afford him. It's insurance if someone gets injured this year but that's about it. He's not a tradable asset either. The league has weird rules about trading guys on 1 year deals. Even if they didn't, he won't return from his injury until January at the soonest and having to match salaries in trades limits their options quite a bit.

Agreed on the trading. the insurance though is being discussed on Bay ARea tv right now. there have been rumors for awhile that both Klay and Steph at some point want to play locally, Klay for the Lakers, Steph for his dad. Apparently there's some innuendo Klay might do that after this coming season. So having Cousins gives them a year to evaluate him, and decide if they think it's worth trying to keep him. if they lost Klay, they could apparently throw more money at Cousins with the hope he will also take a bit of a discount because he wants to win.

Certainly not a guarantee but local guys are talking about it on the Warriors local show right now.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Agreed on the trading. the insurance though is being discussed on Bay ARea tv right now. there have been rumors for awhile that both Klay and Steph at some point want to play locally, Klay for the Lakers, Steph for his dad. Apparently there's some innuendo Klay might do that after this coming season. So having Cousins gives them a year to evaluate him, and decide if they think it's worth trying to keep him. if they lost Klay, they could apparently throw more money at Cousins with the hope he will also take a bit of a discount because he wants to win.

Certainly not a guarantee but local guys are talking about it on the Warriors local show right now.

Ok, that makes some sense. I thought the Warriors were in luxury tax hell right now. Damn shame they aren't. I don't see how the NBA can stop this sort of thing from happening. I guess enjoy it while you can.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Warriors are singlehandedly ushering in the era of the hard cap.

The dudes on NBA radio are having a heart attack over this move hilarious.

The fans calling in are distraught and apoplectic.

Love this move...it's a big middle finger to the Lakers and takes lebron off the front page. Hell, Boogie may no even play 75% of the season and worst case they have a huge tradable asset. Best case, this acquisition is insurance for possible losing KD and/or Klay or Dray next year.
Worst case Cousins has the same net negative impact he's had throughout his career and punctuates it by throwing a ball off Durant's head, concussing him for the playoffs.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I was going to say this. No Bird Rights. They have no chance to retain him as they would need cap space and they are way over the cap.

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I think the NBA jumped the shark with 'The Decision'. They didn't mind.

So we have had quite a few more sightings of someone jumping the shark since then.

This is a whole new level. It's a shark jumping a shark.

Now next year the NBA is about to implement pro tanking rules thinking it's going to curb tanking. Nope. It's just going to cause MORE teams to tank, because it raises the odds for more teams to get a top pick. They sure got another reason to do just that with this signing.

Mark Cuban is right about the problems in the NFL, but he also needs to start paying attention to all that's wrong in the NBA.

They need a hard cap badly.

LeBron be like

You must be registered for see images attach

1tinsoldier

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
pro sports are about bragging rights, pride, and, more important willpower and heart.
the Warriors deserved full credit for putting together their first championship.
i liked it when Durant boarded the Warrior gravy train because it diminished their credit
and "jumping the shark" with Cousins now diminishes them further

players consolidating power on their own to determine championships is a ripoff to fans outside of the chosen cities who can't compete

yes, Warriors, hire Cousins, Howard and anyone else that guarantees that your legacy becomes the team responsible for forcing the NBA to fix the flaw in its free agent system

sincerely, i would not be happy if i was a Golden State fan
there would be a lot less to brag about

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Maybe the league should initiate further restrictions and penalties on teams that exceed a certain salary level.

Loss of draft picks could be a start. There shouldn't be a tax payer exception either that allows them to add even more salary.

Last edited:

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Just imagine being the owner of the Rockets when this news comes out.

This signing really should be voided by the commish.

OP
OP
Ouchie-Z-Clown

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Can we really complain after signing A.C. Green, Danny Manning, and Wayman Tisdale to bargain basement, wink-wink deals back in the day?
There’s a chasm between Durant and cousins joining three all stars and three time champions and Tisdale and green joining a non champion team.

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
pro sports are about bragging rights, pride, and, more important willpower and heart.
the Warriors deserved full credit for putting together their first championship.
i liked it when Durant boarded the Warrior gravy train because it diminished their credit
and "jumping the shark" with Cousins now diminishes them further

players consolidating power on their own to determine championships is a ripoff to fans outside of the chosen cities who can't compete

yes, Warriors, hire Cousins, Howard and anyone else that guarantees that your legacy becomes the team responsible for forcing the NBA to fix the flaw in its free agent system

sincerely, i would not be happy if i was a Golden State fan
there would be a lot less to brag about
Spoken like the fan of a franchise currently not winning. I think this is probably some of the most hilarious fan logic to hear this kind of nonsense. For 30+ years of my life, the Warriors were a dumpster fire and I have zero problem with any of this. I am enjoying this run of excellence as long as I can. Only in sports do fans trash a company when they attract the best and top talent. I'm sure you would really hate working at your job if you were part of a group of people who are the best at what they do. Give me a break it doesn't diminish them at all.

Last edited:

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
If the Arizona Cardinals ever find a way to do this I'm sure you and I everyone else who is a Cardinal fan would rejoice. I'm
Also sure Suns fan would be more than happy to take a run just like the Warriors are having and there would be no diminishing anything.

The team is not cheating and everybody here is acting like it's Baseball players taking steroids. .

AZCrazy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
You don't seem like the kind of guy who would cheer an artificial monopoly.

This is supposed to be a competitive sports league. The season ended days ago and I can already tell you who will be in next year's finals. Just like this year. And just like we could the year before that.

Boston will beat Philadelphia in the Eastern Conference finals
The LA Lebrons will lose to Houston for the right to be trounced by Golden State in the Western Conference finals.

GS wins the finals in 4 or 5 if the league silently mandates more games for the revenue. Whoopdefrickingdoo. We're all a year older.

A hard cap, one max contract per team, and some manner of lottery system for free agents as well as draft picks. Chew on that kind of competitiveness.

You know what will be precisely no fun at all? Watching the Warriors win 76 games next year.

Last edited:

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
Just imagine being the owner of the Rockets when this news comes out.

This signing really should be voided by the commish.
Lol. Dude is currently damaged goods. It's a great roll of the dice for dubs.

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
In a completely unscientific poll of my dozens of family members and dozens of friends and acquaintances who are all warriors fans: 100% of the fanbase is 100% on board with everything that is currently taking place.

And, the biggest reason we love it is because it's a big F-you middle finger to both LeBron and the Lakers .

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
If the Arizona Cardinals ever find a way to do this I'm sure you and I everyone else who is a Cardinal fan would rejoice. I'm
Also sure Suns fan would be more than happy to take a run just like the Warriors are having and there would be no diminishing anything.

The team is not cheating and everybody here is acting like it's Baseball players taking steroids. .

Nfl = hard cap. Everyone plays by the same rules and without guaranteed contracts, they are much less likely to give up money when they can.

NBA = soft cap. Tons of workarounds and not all teams are playing by the same rules (superstars only want to play with other superstars, so what do you do if you don't have one?). Guaranteed money means the inmates run the asylum and have for years. There is zero parity in the league. None

Last edited:

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Can we lose the "everybody" as it's not accurate or even close. Some are taking issue with the NBA for allowing it to happen but only a few outspoken fans are taking shots at the Warriors for doing what is in their own best interest.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joseph Garrison