Warriors + Cousins = the NBA HAS JUMPED THE SHARK

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
How many of you remember when Danny Manning signed a wink wink minimum contract to join the Suns?

Tom Chambers was the first free agent star to jump ship.

The Suns are the reason for half the rules regarding free agency.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SunsFanFirst

Veteran
Reaction score
Eh, not really. We're not even a generation removed from Jim Crow. I don't want to get into this kind of debate here. But people SHOULD be aware that auctioning people's physical skill smacks of slavery.

There is no industry in America where that would be remotely acceptable.
Yet here were are trading peoples physical skills and no one bats an eye. Using your logic are you really going to sit here and say one is acceptable and the other is not? Not to mention we auction players in fantasy drafts.. certainly if it were offensive to do in real life it should be such in our fantasy games.

An auction style of hiring makes absolutely no sense in the businesss world and that has nothing to do with whatever ignorant connotation one would try to attach to it. The only reason this was ever suggested regarding sports is because of its successful application in fantasy drafts.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yet here were are trading peoples physical skills and no one bats an eye. Using your logic are you really going to sit here and say one is acceptable and the other is not? Not to mention we auction players in fantasy drafts.. certainly if it were offensive to do in real life it should be such in our fantasy games.

An auction style of hiring makes absolutely no sense in the businesss world and that has nothing to do with whatever ignorant connotation one would try to attach to it. The only reason this was ever suggested regarding sports is because of its successful application in fantasy drafts.
Good lord... yeah... uh huh, fantasy sports and real life should be held to equal standards.

You're probably going to be the first person I ever ignore.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

Well said.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I was just throwing out ideas. The draft is something of an auction already. So, its a part of pro sports culture whether we like it or not. And the pay goes to the player, not an owner. So maybe we could call it something different for sensitivity sake, I just don't know what.

The original idea might be bad on its own merit, but I would not throw it out based upon a connotation.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
The real question is how is a guy that is labeled as "Banned" still commenting on the site?

SunsFanFirst

Veteran
Reaction score
Good lord... yeah... uh huh, fantasy sports and real life should be held to equal standards.

You're probably going to be the first person I ever ignore.
Racism is racism.

Why do you keep ignoring the fact that by your logic trading should be highly offensive?

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Racism is racism.

Why do you keep ignoring the fact that by your logic trading should be highly offensive?
No. Under the suggested format free agency would not exist. Players would be purely subject to the whims of ownership.

If you don't understand the difference then you're... Well, I what already know...

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
I was just throwing out ideas. The draft is something of an auction already. So, its a part of pro sports culture whether we like it or not. And the pay goes to the player, not an owner. So maybe we could call it something different for sensitivity sake, I just don't know what.

The original idea might be bad on its own merit, but I would not throw it out based upon a connotation.
Isn't pro sports in a different category than people with everyday jobs? Players do start with contracts and, at the end, can choose to sign with whichever team they wish.

The contracts start, of course, with drafts, which were designed to maintain parity, which makes it different from any other work category.

Actors sign contracts with studios. Recording artists sign contracts with CD labels. And even corporate executives sign contracts. They cannot just give two weeks notice and move on.

Although I have no use for any kind of group prejudice, isn't this conversation taking place only because most NBA players are African American? But to equate it to slavery is an invalid comparison.

And isn't it the place of labor unions to handle this matter?

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Isn't pro sports in a different category than people with everyday jobs? Players do start with contracts and, at the end, can choose to sign with whichever team they wish.

The contracts start, of course, with drafts, which were designed to maintain parity, which makes it different from any other work category.

Actors sign contracts with studios. Recording artists sign contracts with CD labels. And even corporate executives sign contracts. They cannot just give two weeks notice and move on.

Although I have no use for any kind of group prejudice, isn't this conversation taking place only because most NBA players are African American? But to equate it to slavery is an invalid comparison.
No, because in all your examples the professional is choosing who they sign with, in JC's suggestion they will never get that choice. Subject to draft, trade and then auction, never having the power to determine their own avenue.

There is no profession, sports or otherwise that is similar.

SunsFanFirst

Veteran
Reaction score
No. Under the suggested format free agency would not exist. Players would be purely subject to the whims of ownership.

Well of course. I dont think an auction is a good idea. It would never work for those reasons alone. That said that has nothing to do regarding our discussion

If you don't understand the difference then you're... Well, I what already know...
I would love to see you try to explain how it is offensive to auction athletes based off of thier physical ability but not to trade athletes based on their physical ability... please humor us!

Matt L

formerly known as mattyboy
Reaction score
1. This is way overblown. The Warriors aren't making the finals if Durant, Curry or to an extent Draymond get injured.

2. I don't quite understand the logic that a hard cap would somehow work as a deterrent to players taking less to play on good teams or in larger markets where they have larger endorsement deals.

3. I am more interested in the NBA now then i was 4 years ago when the Suns were rolling out with Bledsoe and Bender.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
1. This is way overblown. The Warriors aren't making the finals if Durant, Curry or to an extent Draymond get injured.

2. I don't quite understand the logic that a hard cap would somehow work as a deterrent to players taking less to play on good teams or in larger markets where they have larger endorsement deals.

3. I am more interested in the NBA now then i was 4 years ago when the Suns were rolling out with Bledsoe and Bender.
It's not about stopping players from being willing to take less, but more about making it more difficult for already great teams to find ways to work around the cap rules to sign more good players.

With a hard cap there would be no signing a big name free agent and then signing your own free agent to go over the cap. You would now have to chose between keeping your own free agent or taking on the new free agent. It just gives teams far less flexibility to work roster magic with the cap.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Well of course. I dont think an auction is a good idea. It would never work for those reasons alone. That said that has nothing to do regarding our discussion

I would love to see you try to explain how it is offensive to auction athletes based off of thier physical ability but not to trade athletes based on their physical ability... please humor us!
The suggestion involved ending free agency and replacing it with an auction. It's completely different than the straw man nonsense you're trying to get into and it obviously will remind people of slavery.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Why is that? I'm curious about your reasoning. I know I'm more excited to see the Suns than before but watching the postseason next year isn't as big of a deal, IMO. That's mainly because Golden State should just steamroll through everybody. There's a chance to witness history though so it's not all bad but that alone isn't that much of a selling point for me. I think the NBA is smart enough that they can market a Golden State vs Celtics finals as a David vs Goliath matchup, or with Philly going from the East instead.

I agree with your first 2 points for the most part, especially #2. I think the Warriors would be fine without either Curry or Durant though. Losing both would be more of an issue or losing Draymond would hurt them quite a bit but I think they have the pieces to fill in for either Curry or KD if they miss significant time. Curry hasn't been their finals MVP yet which is odd for a guy that has won 2 regular season MVP's during their 4 year run.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I agree with most of this although the Bledsoe and Bender comment misses the mark. Bender hasn't rolled out there with Bledsoe very much at all. Dragan has only been in the NBA for 2 seasons and he was out with injury for much of his first year. And Bledsoe was traded 3 games into Bender's second year. But, yeah, it seems like forever that we've been rolling out with less than exciting basketball.

SunsFanFirst

Veteran
Reaction score
The suggestion involved ending free agency and replacing it with an auction. It's completely different than the straw man nonsense you're trying to get into and it obviously will remind people of slavery.
Awesome so you are sticking to your subject change and pretending our our discussion did happen LOL. And your response to the difference to “auction” and “trading” is straw man LOL. The only ones who would be reminded of slavery are those who look at people of color and cant help but be reminded of slavery.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Awesome so you are sticking to your subject change and pretending our our discussion did happen LOL. And your response to the difference to “auction” and “trading” is straw man LOL. The only ones who would be reminded of slavery are those who look at people of color and cant help but be reminded of slavery.
No... the subject was what it was you clown. This is all in response to the suggestion of replacing free agency with an auction. That is what triggered the entire conversation. You're the only one trying to make it into auction vs trade.

To humor your stupid straw man argument... in the current system if a player is traded they can ride out their contract and go where they please. They have the freedom to go where they want. Replace free agency with an auction where players have no choice in where they go or even what they're paid and it will obviously remind people of slavery.

SunsFanFirst

Veteran
Reaction score
No... the subject was what it was you clown. This is all in response to the suggestion of replacing free agency with an auction. That is what triggered the entire conversation. You're the only one trying to make it into auction vs trade.
Lol.. now you are resorting to name calling. Most people just give up and stop when they have been embarassed this bad. You should have saved face and put me on ignore. What triggered our entire discussion is you disagreeing with me for pointing out that Ouchie was wrong for insinuating an auction would be offensive/racist. It had absolutely nothing to do with whether an auction could work (connotations aside).

To humor your stupid straw man argument... in the current system if a player is traded they can ride out their contract and go where they please. They have the freedom to go where they want. Replace free agency with an auction where players have no choice in where they go or even what they're paid and it will obviously remind people of slavery.
Bahahaha.. nice try with that stretch

OP
OP
Ouchie-Z-Clown

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Lol.. now you are resorting to name calling. Most people just give up and stop when they have been embarassed this bad. You should have saved face and put me on ignore. What triggered our entire discussion is you disagreeing with me for pointing out that Ouchie was wrong for insinuating an auction would be offensive/racist. It had absolutely nothing to do with whether an auction could work (connotations aside).

Bahahaha.. nice try with that stretch
Ask 10 black people if they think throwing around an auction for selection of basketball players isn’t at least potentially offensive to them. I mean we recently had a discussion on this board how the term “auction block” is offensive.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson