Waiting to trade Crowder

Carolinacacti

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I'd put him first. But if CamJ ever gets and finally stays fully healthy, I'd put him second. Jae's value is greater than his stats, like PJ Tucker's value was when he was here (prior to Watson, at least).
Not buying, he is an expiring contract that the Suns don't want. Still think its about the contract and not bad ass Monti

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not buying, he is an expiring contract that the Suns don't want. Still think its about the contract and not bad ass Monti
There are 140 players in the NBA that make more than Jae and he's well respected by his teammates. We've screwed this up; whether it's Monty, JJ, Sarver or whoever, it's our mistake to sit a player that is worth every penny. I'd much rather have him as our backup PF then as our opponent.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He doesn't want to be our backup PF
So? Are you telling me Monty couldn't have worked out a better scenario? By all accounts it was Monty who told him to stay home. There is a reason the players are siding with Jae according to Kellan Olson. He said it wasn't a beef with the organization, his teammates or James Jones.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So? Are you telling me Monty couldn't have worked out a better scenario? By all accounts it was Monty who told him to stay home. There is a reason the players are siding with Jae according to Kellan Olson. He said it wasn't a beef with the organization, his teammates or James Jones.
Is there really much point to it? In the grand scheme of things he was gone at the end of the year no matter what and whether he played or not the plan was to trade him by the deadline I'm sure. I think they just overestimated how easy it would be to trade him for a decent return.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Olsen said he has spoken with the players and they are on Jae's side. Interesting stuff.

Jae Crowder burned a bridge with someone important. Perhaps someone acted before they thought it through.

It sort of reminds me of the Eric Bledsoe situation. Also a bit like the Tim Thomas situation with the Bulls.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kellen Olsen is reporting that the players are siding with Jae Crowder, fully support him and want him on the team. Post game CP3 echoes that sentiment.

DOH! That seems to verify the issue is between Jae and Monty and Monty is the one that told him to stay home.
Yeah, neither CP3 or Bridges have been bashful about saying they miss Jae. Probably forgetting others who have said the same.

I REALLY hope the new owner looks at Monty’s mounting issues with our own players and his stubborn refusal to adjust our game in any way shape or form depending on matchups/obstacles. That was always what made guys like Pop and Jackson next level. Their teams could play multiple styles. If Pop was playing the Suns, he’d go small and outscore us. If he was playing the Pistons, they could slog it out with the best of them. We see the same thing with Kerr, being able to go big when needed or super small to the tune of 4 titles.

With Monty we play one way and ONLY one way. Now it’s no surprise that Ayton frustrates the hell out of me, but if I had my choice I DEFINITELY want to see what another coach could bring out of him.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jae Crowder burned a bridge with someone important. Perhaps someone acted before they thought it through.

It sort of reminds me of the Eric Bledsoe situation. Also a bit like the Tim Thomas situation with the Bulls.
No one was sticking up for those losers the way our own players are for Jae.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's puzzling. It felt like Chris Paul was making a statement with his comments.
Publicly yes. To me that's why he is a leader. Apparently though the team feels the same way off record with Olsen.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Publicly yes. To me that's why he is a leader. Apparently though the team feels the same way off record with Olsen.

I hope we find out the details someday.

It's hard to envision such a breakup with the support of teammates.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
Yeah, neither CP3 or Bridges have been bashful about saying they miss Jae. Probably forgetting others who have said the same.

I REALLY hope the new owner looks at Monty’s mounting issues with our own players and his stubborn refusal to adjust our game in any way shape or form depending on matchups/obstacles. That was always what made guys like Pop and Jackson next level. Their teams could play multiple styles. If Pop was playing the Suns, he’d go small and outscore us. If he was playing the Pistons, they could slog it out with the best of them. We see the same thing with Kerr, being able to go big when needed or super small to the tune of 4 titles.

With Monty we play one way and ONLY one way. Now it’s no surprise that Ayton frustrates the hell out of me, but if I had my choice I DEFINITELY want to see what another coach could bring out of him.
Yeah, I have also begun to notice what seems like an increasing amount of personal clashes between Monty and various players - overt or subtle. Ayton and Crowder are the two most apparent examples, but lots of more subtle examples of guys seemingly falling out of favor with him and then suddenly having their minutes reduced or dropping out of the rotation entirely in spite of being effective when they did have a chance to play... Holliday last year, and Saric this year being two examples that immediately spring to mind.

Then you see guys like Shamet whose minutes never seem to diminish no matter how badly he is playing. It makes you wonder to what extent Monty bases his rotations and other strategies on favoritism instead of on what is most likely to win games. Something like that is definitely going to be noted by the players and contribute to team disunity. I'm not saying that is a definitive state of affairs with the team, but that could be an overriding issue that explains their increasingly faltering.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yeah, I have also begun to notice what seems like an increasing amount of personal clashes between Monty and various players - overt or subtle. Ayton and Crowder are the two most apparent examples, but lots of more subtle examples of guys seemingly falling out of favor with him and then suddenly having their minutes reduced or dropping out of the rotation entirely in spite of being effective when they did have a chance to play... Holliday last year, and Saric this year being two examples that immediately spring to mind.

Then you see guys like Shamet whose minutes never seem to diminish no matter how badly he is playing. It makes you wonder to what extent Monty bases his rotations and other strategies on favoritism instead of on what is most likely to win games. Something like that is definitely going to be noted by the players and contribute to team disunity. I'm not saying that is a definitive state of affairs with the team, but that could be an overriding issue that explains their increasingly faltering.

Monty seems to want all players to act the same. Good guys. Nice guys. That will listen and follow him. He wants to be the father and the players are his children. Maybe he preaches too much to them.

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Reaction score
We needed Monty when he came here but I do worry he's losing his effectiveness and ability to take us to the next level.

sdscard4

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I kinda had a WTH moment when he went in Milwaukee's locker room after the finals to have a hug fest. Monty is a decent coach that's about it

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We needed Monty when he came here but I do worry he's losing his effectiveness and ability to take us to the next level.

Exactly. Monty was the right coach for the Suns at the right time. In fairness to Monty, this season he has been coaching a team that is shorthanded.

However, I do question whether his coaching style is flexible enough.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This. It happens. He’s a Del Harris/Doug Collins type, who’s great with a young up and coming team to reach them how to be professional AND win, but he’s shown himself not to be the guy who can then push the team that extra mile to win the whole thing. And he’s shown in the playoffs that once a team figures us out, he has ZERO ability to adjust and get smacked around the entirety of the back half of series.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Olsen said he has spoken with the players and they are on Jae's side. Interesting stuff.
NBA players do want to win games and when you play nearly a full season without a guy who’s a top 8 player on basically every NBA roster and replace him with the Ish Wainright’s of the world of course there’s going to be people not pleased.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I kinda had a WTH moment when he went in Milwaukee's locker room after the finals to have a hug fest. Monty is a decent coach that's about it
I think Monty is a good coach, he's simply at the wrong level. He should be coaching High School basketball.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
This. It happens. He’s a Del Harris/Doug Collins type, who’s great with a young up and coming team to reach them how to be professional AND win, but he’s shown himself not to be the guy who can then push the team that extra mile to win the whole thing. And he’s shown in the playoffs that once a team figures us out, he has ZERO ability to adjust and get smacked around the entirety of the back half of series.
I think willie green was the x’s & o’s guy.