Video Cards

bratwurst

on double secret probation
Reaction score
Well, as seen in thread below I finally put together my new computer. Thought I would continue to use my old GeForce4 ti4200 card, but it is giving me issues.

I bought it off of ebay (mistake). It was having problems locking up and I thought that it was because my old case had terrible airflow and the card was overheating.

There are six fans in my new computer, and I have a temp guage that was showing the motherboard and proc as only 91 degrees when the thing locked up again. There is something f'd with the card. When it locks up the whole screen turns to gibberish and you can tell the card is unable to render the image so it throws trash out there. The machine is still running fine, but the image on the screen is messed.

So I am looking now for a new card, but I have $200 tops to spend. Whats the best 3d card for that amount of money? Can I get a decent dx9 version card for that amount?

SweetD

Next Up
Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
Let me know if you are intrested in any of these they all are under 220?

NVIDIA GEFORCE4 MX420 64MB
DDR

CARDEXPERT GEFORCE4 TI4200
128MB AGP VIDEO CARD

GAINWARD NVIDIA GEFORCE4
TI4800 128MB DDR AGP VIVO/TV/D

MICROSTAR GEFORCE4 TI4800SE
128MB DDR

PINE GEFORCE4 TI4200 8X AGP
128 VIVO/DVI

OP
OP
bratwurst

bratwurst

Reaction score
That first one, the GeForce MX is basically a GeForce3 card I think.

I guess I could buy a ti4800 but I think i want to move up to the newer generation of cards, like the Nvidia FX line or maybe one of ATI's new cards? I just don't know much about the new line of cards.

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Originally posted by bratwurst
That first one, the GeForce MX is basically a GeForce3 card I think.

I guess I could buy a ti4800 but I think i want to move up to the newer generation of cards, like the Nvidia FX line or maybe one of ATI's new cards? I just don't know much about the new line of cards.

I would go ATI, but if you are going to go Nvidia, get an FX...neat little cards. Check out Egghead

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Which FX card? I think I would rather go with an Nvidia card.

Do you have an 8x AGP port?

OP
OP
bratwurst

bratwurst

Reaction score
Yes 8x agp. I just built a new machine, Asus p4p800 deluxe mobo and a p4c 2.4 Ghz processor.

Dan H

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Radeon 9700.

It's a little over your budget, but it's still one of the top performing cards out there, even after being out for over a year.

Plus John Carmack says Doom III runs sweet on it, so you're somewhat future proof. ;)

BIGTONY

Registered
Reaction score
I HAVE A MSI MX440 IN MY DELL..I LOVE IT..IM A SIMCITY 4 FREAK.. I LOVE THIS GAME..IM GOING TOO PUT A BETTER CARD SOMETIME IN THE NEXT COUPLE MONTHS..ONCE SIMCITY GETS THE EXPANSION PACKS..MY MSI HAS ONLY 64 MEGS..TYPE IN MSI ON EBAY OR WHATEVER YOU WANT..BUT THEY MAKE A HELL OF A VIDEO CARD... THIS WILL BE MY NEXT VIDEO CARD...BUT I MIGHT SAVE UP AND GET THE NEW DELL VIDEO GAME MACHINE $2000 PENTIUM 4 3.0+ I USUALLY GET A NEW COMPUTER EVERY 2 YEARS...

Attachments

• i-1.jpg
    i-1.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 68

BIGTONY

Registered
Reaction score
SORRY DONT KNOW HOW TOO DO TWO IMAGES ON THE FORUM..BUT THIS THE NEW COMPUTER I WOULD LOVE TOO GET

Attachments

• dimen_xps_highlights.jpg
    dimen_xps_highlights.jpg
    8 KB · Views: 69

Cardinals.Ken

That's Mr. Riff-Raff to you!
Reaction score
Which FX card? I think I would rather go with an Nvidia card.

If you have $500 to drop on a vid-card, go with the 5900 Ultra.

If you're like me (ie: cash-strapped) go with the 5600 Ultra, Best Buy and Fry's Electronics have it for $250, which is $50 more than the ATI 9600 Pro.

Stay away from the 5600 (non-ultra) 256MB. It's like having a huge parking garage with only on lane going in and out.

The 5200 Ultra does quite well for what it is, a budget DX9 card, and should be available for qround $100-120.

Cardinals.Ken

That's Mr. Riff-Raff to you!
Reaction score
Originally posted by Dan H
Radeon 9700.

It's a little over your budget, but it's still one of the top performing cards out there, even after being out for over a year.

Plus John Carmack says Doom III runs sweet on it, so you're somewhat future proof. ;)

At the E3 conference this year, id showcased Doom III on a system featuring the ATI 9800 Pro (w/256MB).

If I had the cash, or hit the lottery, that's the "dream card" I would go for.

OP
OP
bratwurst

bratwurst

Reaction score
Yeah I was looking at Newegg.com who have a Leadtek 5600 Ultra for $215. Free shipping.

I just decided to take a vacation with my wife though, which broke the bank. I will have to put up with the messed up card for a while. :(

Looking forward to the trip though!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard