Utah at Arizona State

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score
I'm out of town and trying to keep up with your comments. What's going on now?

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Sun Devils win in OT on a FG.

Go Sun Devils! :sparky:

AZ Native

Reaction score
Can someone summarize the last few minutes for someone unable to watch the game? Thanks

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Can someone summarize the last few minutes for someone unable to watch the game? Thanks

Utah dominated the second half, however our defense held firm when it needed to. Kelly was awful most of the game and our play calling was horrendous - though I think it was influenced by how badly Kelly played...
In OT, Utah had the ball first and attempted a FG...and missed. However, before the kick Utah had called a timeout... So they try again and miss again!!!
Our turn and we run 3 plays and then kick the game winner!! Wow!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

in overtime berovici made his first play on third down and he was intercepted
next drive by utah ended with a missed field goal from 36
then arizona could run the ball for few yards but enough for the field goal.
taylor is colt mcoy number 2,,backup career at best and bercovici must play

Last edited:

AZ Native

Reaction score
Wow. Can't wait to get home (in 2 weeks) and see it on the DVR. How long were the kicks Utah missed? And Thanks

TucsonDevil

Good to be back!
Reaction score
This is a very improbable way to beat Utah. Andy Phillips is a very good Kicker, and to miss...twice?!!! Incredible.

On a side note, TK has got to play much better going forward.

Jay Cardinal

Die Hard Cardinals Fan
Reaction score
Really happy with the win. Really unhappy with the qb play and coaching. Spent some time working in a big business so i understand the value of loyalty, but Kelly is no longer the best QB, playing him in front of better options could hurt team value and new recruiting.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Utah dominated the second half, however our defense held firm when it needed to. Kelly was awful most of the game and our play calling was horrendous - though I think it was influenced by how badly Kelly played...
In OT, Utah had the ball first and attempted a FG...and missed. However, before the kick Utah had called a timeout... So they try again and miss again!!!
Our turn and we run 3 plays and then kick the game winner!! Wow!!

It was a gutsy win by the Devils, overcoming the poor offense they had most of the 2nd half. This game was won by the defense, which looked like they had no chance to play better than our offense in the UCLA game.

I called both missed FGs. My friend can verify it. First, I just had the feeling the announcers were jinxing him by calling him "automatic andy". After the first miss I said, "Watch, he's going to pull the next try and miss to the left." We made a 5$ bet and that Abe Lincoln bill is burning a hole in my pocket. :D

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Really happy with the win. Really unhappy with the qb play and coaching. Spent some time working in a big business so i understand the value of loyalty, but Kelly is no longer the best QB, playing him in front of better options could hurt team value and new recruiting.

The coaching staff has painted themselves into a corner with the QBs. They SHOULD start Bercovici,he clearly played better than Kelly has in his last two starts. But, all of this talk about Kelly's intangibles and the two drives to win and then tie in the 4th qtr...

It's a potential powder keg for the locker room now. Let's say Notre Dame rips us and Kelly has another subpar passing day. That will piss off the guys that think Bercovici should start (and, I promise you those guys are on the team that think that). Bench Kelly, and that will piss off some guys that think he's the team leader that came through in the clutch the last two games. (And, I promise there are guys with that opinion).

Hopefully, we keep winning no matter who is in there and that will prevent the dreaded split locker room.

OP
OP
Absolute Zero

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Great win! And great defensive performance.

I know everyone wants to dump on Kelly, but remember that Utah D is an extremely tough one. Anyone got a number on home many times Kelly was sacked or rushed? It is up there. That would make it tough on any QB. And uncharacteristically, ASU had at least 2 drives in the second half killed by penalties.

With Kelly running the option, we actually had a running game tonight with Richard going over 100, Foster and Kelly putting up 50, we put up over 200 yards rushing against a very tough Utah D. That is a good sign going forward.

With that said, Kelly obviously can play better than he did last night. Several of his throws were late, he rushed some passes that were almost picked off, 2 dropped would be int's. To his credit though, he had some key runs and passes that kept us in the game. There's no way TG is going to start Berc, so folks should just get used to that fact.

Gutsy win.
Things don't get any easier next week.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
It was a gutsy win by the Devils, overcoming the poor offense they had most of the 2nd half. This game was won by the defense, which looked like they had no chance to play better than our offense in the UCLA game.

I called both missed FGs. My friend can verify it. First, I just had the feeling the announcers were jinxing him by calling him "automatic andy". After the first miss I said, "Watch, he's going to pull the next try and miss to the left." We made a 5$ bet and that Abe Lincoln bill is burning a hole in my pocket. :D

Any chance you want to offer up next week's winning Powerball numbers!! :)

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Great win! And great defensive performance.

I know everyone wants to dump on Kelly, but remember that Utah D is an extremely tough one. Anyone got a number on home many times Kelly was sacked or rushed? It is up there. That would make it tough on any QB. And uncharacteristically, ASU had at least 2 drives in the second half killed by penalties.

With Kelly running the option, we actually had a running game tonight with Richard going over 100, Foster and Kelly putting up 50, we put up over 200 yards rushing against a very tough Utah D. That is a good sign going forward.

With that said, Kelly obviously can play better than he did last night. Several of his throws were late, he rushed some passes that were almost picked off, 2 dropped would be int's. To his credit though, he had some key runs and passes that kept us in the game. There's no way TG is going to start Berc, so folks should just get used to that fact.

Gutsy win.
Things don't get any easier next week.

The entire stadium was calling for Berco... It was actually embarrassing for Kelly but the reality is he has lost fan support...
He looks totally lost when he drops back. His reads are wrong most of the time. He typically locks onto one guy (most often Strong). His arm is weak. His throws are inaccurate. He is not the QB that will win a Pac-12 Championship. Berco's game and skills are much better suited to beat Oregon.
But unfortunately, Graham is married to Kelly and so we just might go on to win the South. But Oregon will beat us and I wouldn't be surprised if it looked like the Stanford game from last season - unless Berco is at the helm...

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
Kelly makes the running game work. With no run game Berc would have been sacked 10 times and thrown 4 picks against that pass rush.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Kelly makes the running game work. With no run game Berc would have been sacked 10 times and thrown 4 picks against that pass rush.

Doubt it... Berc is 100x better as a pure QB. His reads, timing and release are far better than that of Kelly. Not to mention his rocket arm...

OP
OP
Absolute Zero

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Well, I am just going to enjoy the fact that we are 7-1 heading into a big game against Notre Dame.

After that, we have a favorable schedule, though Arizona, despite their loss last night, is having a great year and I expect a very tough Territorial Cup game.

Let's keep things in perspective. Did anyone here think we'd be 7-1 at this point in the season? After the UCLA game, did anyone expect our D to play like they have played the last 3 games?

Come on people!

Iceman

Administrator
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, I am just going to enjoy the fact that we are 7-1 heading into a big game against Notre Dame.

After that, we have a favorable schedule, though Arizona, despite their loss last night, is having a great year and I expect a very tough Territorial Cup game.

Let's keep things in perspective. Did anyone here think we'd be 7-1 at this point in the season? After the UCLA game, did anyone expect our D to play like they have played the last 3 games?

Come on people!

You are 100% dead on! Thought we were dead in the water after the UCLA game, then the entire season turned around with that Hail Mary!

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score

Come on people!

Very true. And for the record, I really like Kelly and all his guts... just think Berc is the better QB and better equipped to beat Oregon.

That said, the job Graham has done with this team is nothing short of miraculous. I never in a million years would've thought we would be winning tough games with our defense. Amazing...

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Really not too confident in Kelly... However, his mobility might be just what we need against a ferocious Utah front 7. Just can't see us coming up short. It will be a very close game and I wouldn't be surprised if we win it on a late/last drive of the game with a TD or FG... I see a 24-21 win for the Devils... In cardiac fashion!

As I was saying... :)