Utah at Arizona State

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In fairness to Kelly when most everyone was wondering if Bercco should be the QB last night, this comment by Doug Haller in an article at azcentral dated 11-2-14 put things in perspective.

Making his second start since his foot injury, Taylor Kelly played just average enough for fans on social media to call for back-up Mike Bercovici. Against the nation's top pass rush, he completed 18 of 32 for 205 yards and a touchdown with an interception. Kelly also rushed for 55 yards, a factor in ASU's 239 rushing yards, the team's most since running for 423 against New Mexico in Week 2.

I guess the most frustrating thing for me, I know Kelly can play better. He looks a step slow and has lost some chemistry especially with the receivers. Still, all he does is win. Certainly Kelly will have to get in sync with the team if the Sun Devils want to achieve their goals.

http://www.azcentral.com/story/spor...02/asu-football-beats-utah-overtime/18366309/

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I agree that Utah is one hell of a football team, Devonte Booker was a beast, their defense really did a great job getting to Kelly, and their entire special teams was phenomenal. Their returner and punter's reputations were legit as they really helped Utah stay in the game, the kicker was dubbed "Automatic Andy" and was great until overtime. Utah really missed Das Anderson and it could have been a much different game if they had him. ASU really dodged a bullet. Strong, Richard, Gonzalez & the defense carried this team to the win.

Two issues with Kelly:
1) His timing with his WR's is off, Harrington mentioned that last night and said it shouldn't be an issue this late in the season. Kelly has worked with these receivers since last year so I agree he shouldn't be missing WR's even though he missed 3 weeks.

2) He took a lot of sacks when he should have gotten rid of the ball sooner. Utah was playing without both of their starting CB's. Kelly got really lucky that S dropped the sure interception late in the 4th quarter that could have cost ASU the game.

I will give credit for Kelly getting 2 wins against 2 really good defenses in Washington & Utah.

Last edited:

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree that Utah is one hell of a football team, Devonte Booker was a beast, their defense really did a great job getting to Kelly, and their entire special teams was phenomenal. Their returner and punter's reputations were legit as they really helped Utah stay in the game, the kicker was dubbed "Automatic Andy" and was great until overtime. Utah really missed Das Anderson and it could have been a much different game if they had him. ASU really dodged a bullet. Strong, Richard, Gonzalez & the defense carried this team to the win.

Two issues with Kelly:
1) His timing with his WR's is off, Harrington mentioned that last night and said it shouldn't be an issue this late in the season. Kelly has worked with these receivers since last year so I agree he shouldn't be missing WR's even though he missed 3 weeks.

2) He took a lot of sacks when he should have gotten rid of the ball sooner. Utah was playing without both of their starting CB's. Kelly got really lucky that S dropped the sure interception late in the 4th quarter that could have cost ASU the game.

I will give credit for Kelly getting 2 wins against 2 really good defenses in Washington & Utah.

There is no denying Kelly is not the same player he was before the injury. Everything is slightly off or slow. I don't know how much is rust or how much is lingering effects from the injury.

Reaction score
Two issues with Kelly:
TK was only out 3 games, but with the two bye weeks added during that span his practice time missed was closer to 6 weeks.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
Kelly's lost his mojo. Berc coming in and lighting it up while he was gone has knocked him down a peg and he doesn't look nearly as confident as he did before.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alaskabustergreen