USC/UCLA leaving Pac12 for Big10?

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It will be interesting to see what happens at ASU if Colorado does bail from the Pac-12. I have very little confidence in Crow and Anderson to be smart about all this, but we'll see.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
They are already gone. ASU is in real danger of being in a 2nd tier conference. Ua not so much.

SeattleCardinal

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
It took me a while to feel this way, but I'm ready for ASU (and Utah) to follow CU and UA to the Big 12. Once the Pac-12 begins to implode, the B1G will pluck Oregon and UW (and maybe even the Bay Area schools) and I would hate to see the Sun Devils left out of the big-conference picture.

WiscoBird

Veteran
Reaction score
It took me a while to feel this way, but I'm ready for ASU (and Utah) to follow CU and UA to the Big 12. Once the Pac-12 begins to implode, the B1G will pluck Oregon and UW (and maybe even the Bay Area schools) and I would hate to see the Sun Devils left out of the big-conference picture.
A lot of talk that ASU received AAU status in some back room deal for their allegiance to the PAC. I have no idea how this turns out but I'm not sure we win in any scenario.

We stay in the PAC and it's a shell of it's former self. We go to the BIG 12 and we play with the teams the SEC and B1G didn't want. Eventually they will add the outcasts from the ACC too. I'm starting to think in 10 years the B1G will be the NFC and the SEC will be the AFC. I'm going to enjoy this last year of PAC 12 sports. Things will never be the same again.

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A lot of talk that ASU received AAU status in some back room deal for their allegiance to the PAC. I have no idea how this turns out but I'm not sure we win in any scenario.

We stay in the PAC and it's a shell of it's former self. We go to the BIG 12 and we play with the teams the SEC and B1G didn't want. Eventually they will add the outcasts from the ACC too. I'm starting to think in 10 years the B1G will be the NFC and the SEC will be the AFC. I'm going to enjoy this last year of PAC 12 sports. Things will never be the same again.
Larry Scott ruined the once-greatest conference. Eff him.

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
I'd say that i was able to watch it happen, but as a DirecTv subscriber, we all know that isn't true

I mean it's not like football fans pay a premium specifically for that service and it would probably be a good platform to land your football centric network on

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
FTR - I’m super pissed that Robbins/Heeke are not more aggressive in moving conferences. Seems like the only one with real balls is Deion Sanders convincing CU leaders to go back, and that others will just follow. This should’ve been done months ago

SeattleCardinal

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I
I hope there is a 30 for 30 one day on the PAC. That man killed west coast college athletics.
Yep, and it could dive into the $75 million in San Francisco rent that the Scott and his team spent on a conference headquarters from 2012-22. And as mentioned, our own Michael Crow was perhaps the biggest Scott booster among the university presidents.

Last edited:

WiscoBird

Veteran
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
That is absolutely brutal. Professional west coast teams have a hard enough time heading east to play football games. How student athletes are going to be successful is beyond me. Not to mention basketball and Olympic sports.

B1G needs to add west coast teams asap and the smaller schools are doing everything they can to stop it. Will be interesting to see how this looks in 5-7 years. UCLA might regret leaving. USC........is USC haha

SeattleCardinal

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
My guess for the B1G is that UW, Oregon, Stanford and maybe Cal eventually join UCLA and USC to create some sort of West Coast division (of a true "super conference").

SeattleCardinal

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
The “chunk” is literally nothing vs the extra money they are making. Whoever wrote this is clueless
It will be interesting to see what that ends up looking like. I remember reading something (in the Athletic, perhaps?) that speculated that UCLA’s $8 million travel and game cost budget could double initially in the B1G, and maybe hit $20 million, depending on how many sports charter flights. UCLA is going to come out far ahead, obviously, but an extra $8-$10 million would certainly qualify as a chunk, to me. No idea if these reported numbers are accurate, of course. ;)

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
That is absolutely brutal. Professional west coast teams have a hard enough time heading east to play football games. How student athletes are going to be successful is beyond me. Not to mention basketball and Olympic sports.

B1G needs to add west coast teams asap and the smaller schools are doing everything they can to stop it. Will be interesting to see how this looks in 5-7 years. UCLA might regret leaving. USC........is USC haha
I 100% believe UCLA will regret this from an on field performance standpoint. I tend to think the ride will be bumpy for USC since they aren’t exactly the physical bulldozer team like those in the Big 10. And they will face those weekly.

I suspect USC will eventually get close to evening the field but I have my doubts UCLA will ever be able to

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I 100% believe UCLA will regret this from an on field performance standpoint. I tend to think the ride will be bumpy for USC since they aren’t exactly the physical bulldozer team like those in the Big 10. And they will face those weekly.

I suspect USC will eventually get close to evening the field but I have my doubts UCLA will ever be able to
I'd guess the lows would be real low and the highs would be real high for USC.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is the PAC-12 or whatever it is called these days trying to lure any plums into the conference?

WiscoBird

Veteran
Reaction score
Is the PAC-12 or whatever it is called these days trying to lure any plums into the conference?
Rumors all over the place but nobody is talking. San Diego st is the most logical but their buyout from the MWC increases on June 30th. We won't hear anything until, or if, the PAC get a new rights deal.

SeattleCardinal

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Rumors all over the place but nobody is talking. San Diego st is the most logical but their buyout from the MWC increases on June 30th. We won't hear anything until, or if, the PAC get a new rights deal.
And the buyout increase is not insignificant - it gets doubled from the current $17 million, I believe. SDSU helps to fill the SoCal void, to a degree, but there aren't a lot of other "plums" out there in the "Pacific" part of the country. Maybe the rumors of SMU and Tulane will pan out, with their Dallas and New Orleans markets.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The ideal situation for football competition would be to form a partnership with the Mountain West and have a relegation system where the best MW teams would get promoted and the worst PAC teams would get relegated, but the wild swings in money between relegation would wreak havoc on lesser PAC teams who could lose tens of millions by being relegated. Maybe they could smooth out the money, but no chance the PAC schools would approve it.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The ideal situation for football competition would be to form a partnership with the Mountain West and have a relegation system where the best MW teams would get promoted and the worst PAC teams would get relegated, but the wild swings in money between relegation would wreak havoc on lesser PAC teams who could lose tens of millions by being relegated. Maybe they could smooth out the money, but no chance the PAC schools would approve it.
No power 5 conference/team would ever agree to something like this. Not saying it isn’t interesting but no possible way this would ever happen in a bazillion years

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose