US National Team Update

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Bound for the Copa?U.S. to receive invite to Copa America tournament
Posted: Monday October 2, 2006 9:33PM; Updated: Monday October 2, 2006 9:34PM
LOS ANGELES (AP) -- The United States will receive a formal invitation to Copa America within 24 hours and will decide by the end of the month whether to play in South America's nations championship, U.S. Soccer Federation president Sunil Gulati said Tuesday.

Gulati, speaking at the ninth annual Honda Symposium, also said he has four to five serious candidates for the U.S. national team coaching job, and that announcement should be made within 30-to-60 days.

"We were looking to name a coach in the fall, and I think that is still on target," Gulati said. "Sometime in the November period we expect to name a coach."

Gulati decided not to renew manager Bruce Arena's contract, which expires at the end of the year, after the United States was eliminated in the first round of the World Cup in June. Arena has since taken over the New York Red Bulls.

The candidates for the job are based both in the United States and overseas, Gulati said. Published reports have mentioned that among the candidates are former German national team manager Juergen Klinsmann, former Argentine national coach Jose Pekerman, former English national team manager Sven-Goran Eriksson, D.C. United coach Peter Nowak and Los Angeles Galaxy coach Frank Yallop.

Gulati said he has discussed playing in the Copa America with each of the candidates.

The United States twice before played in the Copa America, in 1993 and 1995. It has avoided the tournament since the 1996 start of Major League Soccer, which has a season that runs from April to November.

The CONCACAF Gold Cup is set for June 6-24, with the Copa America scheduled for June 26-July 15 in Venezuela.

Copyright 2006 Associated Press.

They had better accept that invite to Copa America.

I'm not a fan of eiter Yallop or Eriksson--there are plenty of US coaches I'd rather have than Yallop(a Canadian) and Eriksson was only mildly successful in England with all that talent he had so how could he be with what little the US has.

Also keep track of a 16 yr old kid named Josmer Altidore as maybe the striker of future--and if he keeps improving the future may be the next WCQ campaign. He has 3 goals in 5 games in MLS for NY Red Bulls and 19 goals in 25 games for the U17 National Team.

OP
OP
Zeno

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
I am really looking forward to the new US team, no more McBride, Reyna, Pope for sure...and hopefully we'll get to see the debut of Adu. Not to mention I am looking forward to seeing what system the new coach will put in place and what surprise selections will be made to the team.

CaptTurbo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If we accept Ill have to buy the soccer channel just to watch. I dont care much about the Gold Cup.

OP
OP
Zeno

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
BERLIN, Oct 8 (Reuters) - Former Germany coach Juergen Klinsmann has received 'serious' offers to coach from Mexico and the United States, a Klinsmann adviser said on Sunday.

Roland Eitel told Bild am Sonntag newspaper it was still unclear whether Klinsmann, who led an unfancied Germany team to third place, would return to the sidelines.

'Juergen has enough work to do right now,' Eitel said, noting he had two years worth of work to catch up on at his California firm Soccer Solutions. Eitel said Klinsmann is also analysing training and match data from his two years as coach.

Eitel said Klinsmann had received coaching offers from Mexico and the United States.

'And they're all serious,' he said. But when asked if Klinsmann would take any job, Eitel said: 'We'll have to wait and see.'

Klinsmann said after the World Cup he planned to take six months off before making any further plans.

Ricardo La Volpe left Mexico after his contract ended after they lost 2-1 to Argentina in the second round at the World Cup in Germany. La Volpe moved to Boca Juniors, the most popular club in his native Argentina.

U.S. coach Bruce Arena's contract was not renewed after the Americans were knocked out of the World Cup at the group stage. The president of U.S. Soccer, Sunil Gulati, has identified Klinsmann as a top choice.

He better not end up in Mexico.

CaptTurbo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I doubt he would go to Mexico. He has way more ties to Germany and the US and none to Mexico. Plus I am sure we have more $$ on the table. I mean, cmon, its Mexico. :)

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
BERLIN, Oct 8 (Reuters) - Former Germany coach Juergen Klinsmann has received 'serious' offers to coach from Mexico and the United States, a Klinsmann adviser said on Sunday.

Roland Eitel told Bild am Sonntag newspaper it was still unclear whether Klinsmann, who led an unfancied Germany team to third place, would return to the sidelines.

'Juergen has enough work to do right now,' Eitel said, noting he had two years worth of work to catch up on at his California firm Soccer Solutions. Eitel said Klinsmann is also analysing training and match data from his two years as coach.

Eitel said Klinsmann had received coaching offers from Mexico and the United States.

'And they're all serious,' he said. But when asked if Klinsmann would take any job, Eitel said: 'We'll have to wait and see.'

Klinsmann said after the World Cup he planned to take six months off before making any further plans.

Ricardo La Volpe left Mexico after his contract ended after they lost 2-1 to Argentina in the second round at the World Cup in Germany. La Volpe moved to Boca Juniors, the most popular club in his native Argentina.

U.S. coach Bruce Arena's contract was not renewed after the Americans were knocked out of the World Cup at the group stage. The president of U.S. Soccer, Sunil Gulati, has identified Klinsmann as a top choice.

He better not end up in Mexico.

Flippin' sweet!

OP
OP
Zeno

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Sad News

Farewell, Mooch
U.S. coach Myernick dies after suffering heart attack

Glenn Myernick served as an assistant coach for the U.S. at the past two World Cups.

THORNTON, Colo. (AP) -- Glenn Myernick, an assistant coach for the U.S. soccer team and a former head coach of Major League Soccer's Colorado Rapids, died Monday after suffering a heart attack last week. He was 51.

Myernick collapsed Thursday after his regular morning jog and never regained consciousness, said Rapids spokesman Jurgen Mainka.

Mainka said Myernick's wife, Nancy, daughter, Kelly, and son, Travis, were with him when he died.

"Glenn Myernick was a player and coach deeply passionate about soccer and life," U.S. Soccer president Sunil Gulati said in a statement. "Whether it was family, friends or soccer, Mooch was the kind of person that embraced everything in life, loving every minute of it."

Myernick coached the Rapids from 1997-2001, taking them to the Major League Soccer title game in his first year, and coached the U.S. Olympic team from 2002-04, when it failed to qualify for the Athens Games.

A winner of the 1976 Hermann Trophy while at Hartwick College, Myernick made 10 appearances for the U.S. national team from 1975-79.

"We lost a great person today," said former U.S. men's national team coach Bruce Arena. "He was an unbelievable husband and father, and the finest soccer person I've ever come across in the United States. He was an amazing resource for soccer in this country."

Added MLS commissioner Don Garber: "On behalf of Major League Soccer's players, coaches, administrators and ownership, I would like to offer the sincerest condolences to the entire Myernick family," Garber said. "Mooch will be dearly missed and his passion, spirit and sincerity will never be forgotten."

Mainka said the family will hold a private funeral to be followed by a celebration of Myernick's life.

Copyright 2006 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.