Updated Depth Chart

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I actually love Jalen Smith as a prospect. I am just concerned that it will actually hurt his development (not to mention the team's fortunes) if too much is asked of him too soon.
He's going to have to fight for minutes. We won't be asking him to carry the franchise. I could see some late game situations where Crowder plays D, then maybe Smith might be brought in to stretch the defense for a play, etc.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I am pretty impressed with Jones off season
I was expecting us to bring guys back after we went over the cap situation by signing Paul, but I didn't think we would be bringing in so many new faces.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I was expecting us to bring guys back after we went over the cap situation by signing Paul, but I didn't think we would be bringing in so many new faces.

I am grateful they didn't just sit on their hands after the Paul trade, even if I don't like the choices of who they signed. At least you can't accuse management of not trying to compete.

Ironically, after all the talk by James Jones of bringing in shooting and especially playmaking, the only playmaker Jones actually brought in was Chris Paul. Instead, he has seemed to emphasize defense and toughness, perhaps in an effort to instill a further culture change. I also wonder if the short turnaround to the new season played a role in James Jones focusing on dirt workers as opposed to playmakers (as it's easier to acclimate dirt workers into a new system).

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I am grateful they didn't just sit on their hands after the Paul trade, even if I don't like the choices of who they signed. At least you can't accuse management of not trying to compete.

Ironically, after all the talk by James Jones of bringing in shooting and especially playmaking, the only playmaker Jones actually brought in was Chris Paul. Instead, he has seemed to emphasize defense and toughness, perhaps in an effort to instill a further culture change. I also wonder if the short turnaround to the new season played a role in James Jones focusing on dirt workers as opposed to playmakers (as it's easier to acclimate dirt workers into a new system).
I wonder if they are buying in to Cam Payne more than we are, or if they are seeing something that we are not.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I wonder if they are buying in to Cam Payne more than we are, or if they are seeing something that we are not.

If so, I really, really hope it's not just the bubble performance that has them convinced. I enjoyed the bubble run, but I have been concerned since then that management might put too much stake in it. It was a warm experience and nice momentum, but I also think it was very much an aberration and not necessarily indicative of the potential of the team or players over the course of an entire season where all teams have the same things for which to play and therefore the same motivation.

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Just waiting on that myself. Maybe he is out of country right now? Possibly that may hold things up?
This is Sarver's MO with RFA's. I am not too worried.

James Jones hits a lot of singles and doubles. Doesn't usually smack a home run, but gets on base and gets runs in.

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
So. I see Crowder starting at pf. However, it could be an interesting competition. Crowder is the gritty vet. Cam is the sharpshooting sophomore and Smith as the physically talented rookie.

If Smith makes the starting lineup out of camp, then we are going to the WCF (at least).

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I think it had more to do with what was actually available to the Suns.

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

That’s an amazing thought

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Alternative depth chart:

Ballhandlers: Paul, Booker, Payne, Carter, Moore, Okobo

Wings: Bridges, Johnson, Crowder, Nader,

Bigs: Ayton, *Saric, Smith, Jones,

I think Moore can probably guard smaller wings so he doesn't fit too neatly into these categories.

Assuming we retain Saric, that gives us 14 players not counting 2 way contracts. Hopefully they can pick up another wing to bolster that position.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Alternative depth chart:

Ballhandlers: Paul, Booker, Payne, Carter, Moore, Okobo

Wings: Bridges, Johnson, Crowder, Nader,

Bigs: Ayton, *Saric, Smith, Jones,

I think Moore can probably guard smaller wings so he doesn't fit too neatly into these categories.

Assuming we retain Saric, that gives us 14 players not counting 2 way contracts. Hopefully they can pick up another wing to bolster that position.

Okobo has to be the last man on the bench. It's amazing that the Suns are keeping him.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm waiting to see what happens with Saric before I give my impression of the Suns off season.

Also I want to better evaluate the roster moves of other Western Conference teams.

For example, I think the Trail Blazers are vastly improved.

Town Drunk

Longest serving ASFN lurker
Reaction score
I'm waiting to see what happens with Saric before I give my impression of the Suns off season.

Also I want to better evaluate the roster moves of other Western Conference teams.

Yeah, several teams in the west really improved themselves. I see the Suns in the middle of the pack. If Ayton can turn in to a dominate force with Paul, then they’ll be higher. I was hoping for a more impactful player at PF. But, I think the roster is better today than it was last year.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, several teams in the west really improved themselves. I see the Suns in the middle of the pack. If Ayton can turn in to a dominate force with Paul, then they’ll be higher. I was hoping for a more impactful player at PF. But, I think the roster is better today than it was last year.

I agree the Suns roster is better but did they keep pace with other teams competing for a playoff spot in the Western Conference.

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

Whiteside was pretty good last year, and he and Melo scored a lot for Portland. I do think that Nurkic (if healthy) and Covington are big upgrades at the 5 and the 4 for Portland. That team fits really well now, but Lillard and McCollum are going to have score/create a lot. Hood is a decent bench option as well.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Whiteside was pretty good last year, and he and Melo scored a lot for Portland. I do think that Nurkic (if healthy) and Covington are big upgrades at the 5 and the 4 for Portland. That team fits really well now, but Lillard and McCollum are going to have score/create a lot. Hood is a decent bench option as well.

I think adding Robert Covington and Enes Kanter solidified Portland's off season. Power forward was a real weakness for them and Kanter is a dependable backup center. Injuries to Nurkic has slowed them down.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Suns are built like a boxer. They won't beat you in the first round but with their depth and hard nosed players they are going to wear teams down. Then they will beat a lot of teams in the later part of games. There is no quit in the team.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The Suns are built like a boxer. They won't beat you in the first round but with their depth and hard nosed players they are going to wear teams down. Then they will beat a lot of teams in the later part of games. There is no quit in the team.

Not only that, but we have professionals on the team. Meaning, guys like Bridges, Saric, Carter and Crowder will not quit despite the scoreboard. This roster is set up for a 7 game series.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Not only that, but we have professionals on the team. Meaning, guys like Bridges, Saric, Carter and Crowder will not quit despite the scoreboard. This roster is set up for a 7 game series.

Perhaps, but the thing that still scares me is that everything hinges on Paul and Booker's health, and history shows that is a shaky proposition. I am still concerned that this team won't be able to score points with Booker and Paul not on the floor.

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Perhaps, but the thing that still scares me is that everything hinges on Paul and Booker's health, and history shows that is a shaky proposition. I am still concerned that this team won't be able to score points with Booker and Paul not on the floor.
Well. That scares me too, especially with Paul's age (I am trying not to repeat myself perpetually). But this is true with every team. Kawhi, LeBron, Dame, Butler, Giannis etc. If any of these players go down, their teams are sunk. Same with GS to a certain extent. I doubt the chemistry with Rubio will be the same, or at least take a while to develop.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I'm keep thinking about the Mavericks approach is adding small shooters. I wouldn't mind adding one, especially a point guard, if given the chance. Of course Okobo may yet fill that role.

Mavericks get a lot of mileage of small guards like Trey Burke, JJ Barea and Tyrell Terry. Previously they had Seth Curry.

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I would love to add Lou Williams to this roster. Having a prolific scorer off the bench for when things go stagnant would be nice.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard