Update on Whitehurst

CardinalChris

Big Man Himself
Reaction score
I laughed because that was what you had to go by and is all you had to go by, so why was I expected to take it as gospel? I don't expect people to take my view on Spikes, as an example, as gospel, but at least he's a kid who has never been in the NFL and who couldn't possibly have a barometer of experience in the NFL.

Look, you like Whitehurst and I don't. I haven't yet read why I should be happy with the idea of giving up a 3rd for a bad college QB who just has good measurables. You have your opinion and I have mine. No biggie.

The I suppose I don't quite see the humor in it when I offer that very opinion and do not express ANYONE to take it as gospel, and I pass along information I find useful. Having an opinion does not mean you have to keep it to yourself.

HoodieBets

Formerly azcardsfan1616
Reaction score
all the QBs usually gets reps in training camp. come on 1616.

I'm just going by what I have seen and have heard from people in the SD area Whitehurst has all the duties and responsibilities of a #2 QB wether that's calling in the plays on Sunday doing film study with rivers and taking a good number of reps in practice but obviously for a team that's competeing for a SB you have to go with volek if rivers gets hurt just do to the expierence factor

Gee!

BirdGang
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dear Charlie. Please go to Seattle. I have this feeling that youd bring Lucy with ya.

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Two things...

1) The third string QB get very little snaps during practice on most NFL teams

2) I doubt the Chargers are releasing practice tapes to the Cardinals and you can't exactly trust what Chargers coaches say about his practice form in an effort to either drive up his price or devalue him to scare teams away.

I don't see Whiz or Pete Carroll as two dummies riding on the back of a turnip truck... Thus, I'm fairly certain that they have evaluations that they do trust, and are not simply relying on Charger staff trying to justify the price.

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
I would like to have CW as a backup; just not for a 3rd rd. choice.

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
All we need to know is that Whiz likes him...and he'd be Whiz's first acquisition at QB, so that will mean a lot.

That said...we saw what Aaron Rodgers presented to us...Whitehurst has an Aaron Rodgers-type arm and very similar mobility.

I have to agree with Mitch on this. If we trust our coach, which I do, then I trust his selection of a QB. He knows football. I know how to fly aircraft.

CardinalChris

Big Man Himself
Reaction score
I have to agree with Mitch on this. If we trust our coach, which I do, then I trust his selection of a QB. He knows football. I know how to fly aircraft.

Wow, those are the two coolest man-jobs ever! Flying aircraft and professional football coach. If you add any job you have to yell "clear" immediately after entering and you have the Tri-Fecta of manly jobs!

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Guy has been in the NFL since 2006, and he's thrown and completed as many passes in the NFL as I have!

Mentioning him in the same sentance as Aaron Rogers is simply crazy talk! Can he be a 3rd stringer? Sure, I guess... but I was really hoping we would bring someone in to give Matty a serious run... Anderson was/is that guy. Not some Charlie Liverwurst... :bang:

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
Guy has been in the NFL since 2006, and he's thrown and completed as many passes in the NFL as I have!

Mentioning him in the same sentance as Aaron Rogers is simply crazy talk! Can he be a 3rd stringer? Sure, I guess... but I was really hoping we would bring someone in to give Matty a serious run... Anderson was/is that guy. Not some Charlie Liverwurst... :bang:

Obviously, the Cardinals and Seahawks see potential in Whitehurst that he could someday be an NFL starter.

With Derek Anderson, everyone knows what they'll be getting. A turnover machine.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Obviously, the Cardinals and Seahawks see potential in Whitehurst that he could someday be an NFL starter.

With Derek Anderson, everyone knows what they'll be getting. A turnover machine.

C'mon man... based on what? How many starting NFL Qb's spent their first 4 full seasons in the NFL without ever tossing a pass in a regular season game?? Can it happen? I guess it can... But geez...
Whiz said he wanted to bring in someone who would seriously offer a competitive threat to Matty. A guy who has been in the league for 4 years and hasn't attempted one pass is not a legit competitive threat...he's just not.

Man... this is very, very bizarre... we have one QB on the team (Matty), and we have one legit starting Linebacker (Hayes). Wow...

HoodieBets

Formerly azcardsfan1616
Reaction score
C'mon man... based on what? How many starting NFL Qb's spent their first 4 full seasons in the NFL without ever tossing a pass in a regular season game?? Can it happen? I guess it can... But geez...
Whiz said he wanted to bring in someone who would seriously offer a competitive threat to Matty. A guy who has been in the league for 4 years and hasn't attempted one pass is not a legit competitive threat...he's just not.

Man... this is very, very bizarre... we have one QB on the team (Matty), and we have one legit starting Linebacker (Hayes). Wow...

If Drew Bledsoe didnt get hurt on a illegal hit tom brady would have never seen the field, if Trent Green didnt get hurt Kurt Warner would be back bagging groceries so yeah it does happen, if 90% of NFL QB's were in SD they wouldnt be throwing a pass for the next four years either get a damn clue the only reason people who have no clue about this guy dont want him is because he has never thrown a pass, neither has sam bradford, Jimmy K, Skelton, or Tebow....Sure lets bring in DA and waste another year when we had the chance to maybe get someone who could be the QBOF which is the opposite of DA who was proven to be the second worse starting QB in the league behind russell.

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
Whiz said he wanted to bring in someone who would seriously offer a competitive threat to Matty. A guy who has been in the league for 4 years and hasn't attempted one pass is not a legit competitive threat...he's just not...

Then why did the Cards make Whitehurst an offer? You must really think Whiz is a moron then since Whitehurst is so obviously garbage that two NFL teams are willing to give up draft picks for him.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
If Drew Bledsoe didnt get hurt on a illegal hit tom brady would have never seen the field, if Trent Green didnt get hurt Kurt Warner would be back bagging groceries so yeah it does happen

Umm... the cases you point out are cases where it DIDN'T happen... ;)

if 90% of NFL QB's were in SD they wouldnt be throwing a pass for the next four years either

I won't do the research, but since you are the one with the "damn clue", perhaps you can check if, since 2006, any other QB other than Rivers have thrown passes in regular season games?

get a damn clue the only reason people who have no clue about this guy dont want him is because he has never thrown a pass, neither has sam bradford, Jimmy K, Skelton, or Tebow....

LMAO... I really don't need to point out that Bradford, Klausen, Skelton and Tebow haven't been in the NFL for 4 years... do I? :shock:

Sure lets bring in DA and waste another year when we had the chance to maybe get someone who could be the QBOF which is the opposite of DA who was proven to be the second worse starting QB in the league behind russell.

I am not at all an Anderson fan... I simply basing all of this on what Whiz said, which was that he wanted to bring in a legit competitor to Matty... IMHO, a guy who's been in the league for 4 years and has never sniffed the grass on an NFL season in regular season, is not a legit competitor...

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Then why did the Cards make Whitehurst an offer? You must really think Whiz is a moron then since Whitehurst is so obviously garbage that two NFL teams are willing to give up draft picks for him.

Why did the Cards make him an offer?? The only thing I can think of is that there is nothing else out there worth going after... Doesn't mean Whitehurst is worth a damn thing. But if Bulger and Anderson are the only remaining options, I assume Whiz and Co felt most comfortable with Whitehurst, the least ugly mutt out of a brood of horrifically ugly mutts...

In the end, I think Whiz's bravado about bringing in a legit competitor to Matty was merely hot air... The lack of true talent aside, there really was no way Matty wasn't going to be named the starter this year. His contract all but mandates the Cards start him now so that they know what they will have to do in 2011... If Matty surprises and plays well, the Cards will re-work the contract and keep him. If he plays like crappola and Liverwurst actually gets his shot at throwing NFL passes, Matty will be cut loose... it's really that simple isn't it?

HoodieBets

Formerly azcardsfan1616
Reaction score
Umm... the cases you point out are cases where it DIDN'T happen... ;)

I won't do the research, but since you are the one with the "damn clue", perhaps you can check if, since 2006, any other QB other than Rivers have thrown passes in regular season games?

LMAO... I really don't need to point out that Bradford, Klausen, Skelton and Tebow haven't been in the NFL for 4 years... do I? :shock:

I am not at all an Anderson fan... I simply basing all of this on what Whiz said, which was that he wanted to bring in a legit competitor to Matty... IMHO, a guy who's been in the league for 4 years and has never sniffed the grass on an NFL season in regular season, is not a legit competitor...

Ok lets take this one by one, Warner and Brady were never in the plans to start unless injuries happened so they would have sat on the bench and warner was away from the NFL for almost 4 years before the rams after he didnt get drafted

Second im talking about the past 4 years 90% of all other QB's if on the San Diego would be riding the pine period

You are the one upset he hasnt thrown a pass so im pointing out that neither has a rookie, if whitehurst was on the seahawks, raiders, bills, browns, jaguars, broncos, redskins, panthers, or bucs he would have started at some point last year, its all about the situation which for some reason i cant understand why you cant comprehend.

HoodieBets

Formerly azcardsfan1616
Reaction score
Why did the Cards make him an offer?? The only thing I can think of is that there is nothing else out there worth going after... Doesn't mean Whitehurst is worth a damn thing. But if Bulger and Anderson are the only remaining options, I assume Whiz and Co felt most comfortable with Whitehurst, the least ugly mutt out of a brood of horrifically ugly mutts...

So we just throw away a 3rd round pick because nothing else is out there?? You do know how stupid that sounds right? Whiz thinks he can push for the starting job thats why they want him not because there is noone else.

Matt L

formerly known as mattyboy
Reaction score
I am pretty sure that Brad Johnson sat on the bench for a good 4 or 5 years before he started and then was able to turn in a pretty good career. He even won a super bowl with Tampa Bay. I know that it isn't the norm, but it has happened before.

EDIT: Brad Johnson sat for 2 seasons, then got a few snaps in the next two seasons, and finally was named a starter in his fifth year in the league.

Last edited:

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Ok lets take this one by one, Warner and Brady were never in the plans to start unless injuries happened so they would have sat on the bench and warner was away from the NFL for almost 4 years before the rams after he didnt get drafted

I am not suggesting Whitehurst could have or should have started in order for the Cards to be interested in him. However, since you bring up Brady and Warner, they at least were positioned to step in when the starter went down. So again, I'll ask you - has there not been a time in the last 4 years where Rivers wasn't able to start or take snaps in the regular season? Has he never missed a single snap in the past 4 years?? Cuz if he hasn't, then someone stepped in, a la Warner and Brady, and too those snaps... and it wasn't Mr. Whitehurst..... ;)

Second im talking about the past 4 years 90% of all other QB's if on the San Diego would be riding the pine period

Not sure what your point is there... but the only response that comes to mind for me is - see my response above...

You are the one upset he hasnt thrown a pass so im pointing out that neither has a rookie

Not sure why you continue to compare a 4 year NFL player to rookies?? Strange...

if whitehurst was on the seahawks, raiders, bills, browns, jaguars, broncos, redskins, panthers, or bucs he would have started at some point last year

And yet, in the cases where Rivers couldn't go, the guy you seem to think would've started elsewhere wasn't even called upon to relieve Rivers... interesting...

HoodieBets

Formerly azcardsfan1616
Reaction score
I am not suggesting Whitehurst could have or should have started in order for the Cards to be interested in him. However, since you bring up Brady and Warner, they at least were positioned to step in when the starter went down. So again, I'll ask you - has there not been a time in the last 4 years where Rivers wasn't able to start or take snaps in the regular season? Has he never missed a single snap in the past 4 years?? Cuz if he hasn't, then someone stepped in, a la Warner and Brady, and too those snaps... and it wasn't Mr. Whitehurst..... ;)

Not sure what your point is there... but the only response that comes to mind for me is - see my response above...

Not sure why you continue to compare a 4 year NFL player to rookies?? Strange...

And yet, in the cases where Rivers couldn't go, the guy you seem to think would've started elsewhere wasn't even called upon to relieve Rivers... interesting...

The chargers have one of the best backups in the NFL in Volek and when your contending for a super bowl you go with a guy who has the expierence most teams dont have the luxuries at QB that the chargers have, thats why its all about situations and has no bearing on his skills hence the reason the chargers gave him a 3rd round tender

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
I am pretty sure that Brad Johnson sat on the bench for a good 4 or 5 years before he started and then was able to turn in a pretty good career. He even won a super bowl with Tampa Bay. I know that it isn't the norm, but it has happened before.

My point is not that he hasn't been a starter, but that he literally has not tossed single pass in 4 years... Johnson, in his first 3 years in the league as a non-starter, tossed 384 passes... that's 384 more than Charlie... ;)

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

You are the one upset he hasnt thrown a pass so im pointing out that neither has a rookie, if whitehurst was on the seahawks, raiders, bills, browns, jaguars, broncos, redskins, panthers, or bucs he would have started at some point last year, its all about the situation which for some reason i cant understand why you cant comprehend.

Gotta agree with this. It's not like most positions where there is platooning. The only time Painter sees the field is when the Colts have locked up the division. Chargers are just making it into the playoffs every year.

82grad has a strong dislike for Matt and is pissed that he may actually get his chance this year.

Matt L

formerly known as mattyboy
Reaction score
My point is not that he hasn't been a starter, but that he literally has not tossed single pass in 4 years... Johnson, in his first 3 years in the league as a non-starter, tossed 384 passes... that's 384 more than Charlie... ;)

I think what you meant to say is that Johnson tossed 37 passes within his first 3 seasons.

;)

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdndndn