2018 Cardinals' RBs

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
Under Contract:

37 D.J. Foster (6-0, 195, 24, 3, Arizona St. 2017 stats: 6/19/3.2/0 rush, 17/133/7.8/0 rec.)---quick, tough 3rd down type RB. Possible punt returner. Plays hard, lacks top end speed.

48 Bronson Hill (5-10, 215, 25, 2, Eastern Michigan. 2017 stats: 1/-2/-2 rush.)---college stats: 421/2,362/5.6/11 rush.; 37/526/14.2/4 rec. Running style is very similar to David Johnson's, feels for the hole, bursts through, makes slalom cuts in open field, very good catch and go receiver.

31 David Johnson (6-1, 224, 26, 4, Northern Iowa. 2017 stats: 6/19/3.2/0 rush.; 6/67/11.2/0 rec.)---budding superstar knocked out of the last 2 games he's played (knee & wrist). Sensational dual-purpose RB, who smells out creases and busts through them. Upright and slalom running style leaves legs exposed and puts added stress on knees. Will new RB coach Kirby Wilson, help refine Johnson's technique? Outstanding balance and stiffarm---his chief mode of protection. Can also thrive at WR. Is at times unstoppable in the open field.

22 T.J. Logan (5-10, 195, 23, 2, North Carolina St.)---was having very good pre-season as 3rd down RB and starting KO returner until he broke his wrist in pass protection. Has major league burst. Runs hard. High effort player with excellent receiving skills.

35 Elijaah Penny (6-2, 234, 24, 2, Idaho. 2017 stats: 31/124/4.0/2 TD rush; 4/35/9.5/0 rec,)---power RB who hits the hole hard and lowers his shoulder on contact. Lacks breakaway speed, but is effective in power running scheme and is one of the better STs players on the roster. Improving as a receiver.

23 Adrian Peterson (6-2, 217, 32, 11, Oklahoma. 2017 stats: 156/521/3.4/2 TD rush.; 19/70/6.4/0 TD rec.)---had a couple of 100 yard games for the Cardinals until injuring his neck. Would count $3.5M on the 2018 cap and is likely to be released.

38 Darius Victor (5-8, 209, 23, 1, Towson St.)---college stats: 637/3,309/5.2/44 TD rush.; 20/141/7.1/1 TD rec. Was signed as an undrafted free agent by the Saints. Sean Payton lauded Victor for his compact rushing style, ability to fight for yards after contact and stop and go burst. More quick than fast. Teammates and friends call him Vito.

UFA:

33 Kerwynn Williams (5-8, 198, 26, 5, Utah St. 2017 stats: 120/426/3.6/1; 10/93/9.3/0)---tough as nails, diminutive RB who plays through pain and scraps for every inch. Hits the hole hard and can scoot in the open field. Inconsistent pass protector and receiver. Loved by his teammates.

Analysis:

The main question is how to keep David Johnson healthy and how to maximize his talents. One of the principal focuses of the offense should be to find a variety of ways to get David Johnson the ball in the open field where he is a home run threat. Switching him between RB and WR would aid and abet that cause and it would vastly improve the WR talent and production.

Last year when Johnson was lost for the season with a broken wrist, it was quite a RB scramble after that. Chris Johnson was re-signed and released. The Cardinals essential trade 2 6th round draft picks to acquire Adrian Peterson. Kerywnn Williams and Elijah Penny picked ump the slack after Peterson's injury.

Because of last year's RB scramble and seeing as it would be wise to move David Johnson around like the queen on a chessboard, the Cardinals should add another potential stud RB to the roster. Re-signing Kerwynn Williams would be a popular choice, but another addition could mean wonders. Elijaah Penny should become a combo RB/FB who can help on running and short-yardage downs. T.J. Logan and D.J. Foster are good 3rd down RB options. Bronson Hill is a wild card and may surprise.

In searching for the one key addition at RB, the first name that comes to mind is Jonathan Stewart. Rumor is that the Panthers may not elect to give Stewart his $1.5M roster bonus in March, which would put his 2018 cap number over $5M. Of course, Steve Wilks and Ray Brown are very familiar with Stewart, who brings a power RB mentality and style to the table.

The second name that comes to mind is C.J. Anderson. Word with the Broncos is that they may move on from Anderson for cap reasons, especially if they are trying to sign UFA QB Kirk Cousins. Mike McCoy is very familiar with Anderson and could be influential in bringing Anderson to the Cardinals. Anderson is a banger who has quick acceleration and a real nose for the end zone. He's entering his 6th season this year.

Other UFA's of possible interest are: Carlos Hyde (49ers); Jerrick McKinnon (Vikings); LeGarrette Blount (Eagles); Rex Burkhead (Patriots) and Jamal Charles (Broncos).

Hyde is likely out of the Cardinals' price range, but what a 1-2 punch Johnson and Hyde could be. McKinnon is a slasher who is hungry to prove he can be a star. Blount is a hammer and has won SB rings the past two years. Perhaps LGB could bring the Cardinals' offense some swag. Burkhead is an aggressive runner between the tackles who is a good receiving threat. Charles has ties to McCoy and, if he still has gas in the tank, is a dual threat.

2018 NFL Draft RB Prospects:

* Sony Michel (5-11, 212, Georgia. 2017 stats: 1,227/7.9/16 TD rush.; 9/96/1TD rec.)
* Kerryon Johnson (6-0, 212, Auburn. 1,341/4.9/18 TD rush.; 24/194/2 TD rec.)
* Derrius Guice (5-11, 212, LSU. 1,751/5.3/11 TD rush; 18/124/2 TD rec.)
* Ronald Jones (6-0, 200, USC). 1.550/5.9/19 TD rush.; 14/187/1 TD rec.)
* Nick Chubb (5-10, 220, Georgia. 1.345/6.0/15 TD rush.; 2/20/0 TD rec.)
* Kalen Ballage (6-2, 222, Arizona St. 657/4.3/6 TD rush.)
* Akrum Wadley (5-9, 188, Iowa. 1.109/4.4/10 TD rush.; 28/353/3 TD rec.)
* Royce Freeman (5-11, 230, Oregon. 1.475/6.0/14 TD rush.; 14/164/0 TD rec.)
* Josh Adams (6-2, 225, Notre Dame. 1,430/6.9/9 TD rush.; 13/101/0 TD rec.)
* Rashaad Penny (5-10, 224, San Diego St. 2,248/7.8/23 TD rush.; 19/135/2 TD rec.)

NFL.com ratings: (not counting Saquon Barkley---top 5 prospect)

6.4 Derrius Guice
6.4 Ronald Jones
5.9 Sony Michel
5.8 Kerryon Johnson
5.8 Rashaad Penny
5.6 Royce Freeman
5.6 Nick Chubb
5.5 Akrum Wadley
5.4 Kalen Ballage
5.1 Josh Adams

It's unlikely that the Cardinals are going to draft a RB in the 1st or 2nd round. but with 2 picks in the 3rd round and 1 pick in Round 4---the Cardinals may have the opportunity to draft Johnson, Penny, Freeman, Chubb or Wadley. Quite possibly, Ballage and Adams will be available in round 5.

Summary:

The Cardinals might be content to re-sign Kerwynn Williams and go with Johnson, Williams, Penny, Logan, Foster, Hill and Victor at RB. While Williams is highly deserving, is he on a par with Tevin Coleman or Alvin Kamara? The prolific RB tandems in the NFL right now, like Freeman/Coleman (Falcons) and Ingram/Kamara (Saints) makes their offenses all the more relentless and explosive.

Will the Cardinals choose to take a similar route at RB this year?

You be the judge. What do you think?

Last edited:

wit3card

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Adrian Peterson isn't released as of yet, and I'm not sold on that report at all.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Mitch, I think AP is still under contract. Just a nit, as it has been reported by Jurecki that they will drop him. Officially they haven't.

Arizona Sports' Mike Jurecki reports the Cardinals will release Adrian Peterson this offseason.

TRW

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
DJ, TJ and KW really the only names on that list that are really worth it. I think bringing on a true FB would be better than Penny. Just IMO.

Brak

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Now that the previous regime is gone, I wonder how much the new one will use a FB? It would be nice to see one at least in SOME of the playbook. Why Arians completely eschewed them is beyond me, especially in an offense where the QB was left so exposed and needed extra help, and one with a stud RB who could have used a lead blocker on many occasions.

TRW

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Now that the previous regime is gone, I wonder how much the new one will use a FB? It would be nice to see one at least in SOME of the playbook. Why Arians completely eschewed them is beyond me, especially in an offense where the QB was left so exposed and needed extra help, and one with a stud RB who could have used a lead blocker on many occasions.

BA was more a QB Killer than Whisperer.

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Rumor mentions that Derrick Henry will be cut loose from Tennessee.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I like penny, he can break the tackles and get some tough yards plus he offer a nice contribution to the special teams

I want see what Logan can do, probably he will take kerwynn Williams role with more playmaking abilities

I would like to draft in later rounds a rb too

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
You have mentioned him Mitch, Dimitri Flowers... and I just did again, can you imagine Johnson running with him as the lead block :)

Camshaft

Registered
Reaction score
Southpaw, I think you meant DeMarco Murray might be cut. Henry has proven himself and is still inexpensive.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
As much as I'd like to add Michel in the draft, we have too many pressong needs areas. It won't happen.

Adding CJ to DJ would be a great coup. :)

Southpaw

Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is not even close to happening unless you meant the other Tennessee RB in DeMarco Murray.

as I said.... a rumor

"
Tennessee
They don't have too much internal business to conduct, save for trying to work out an extension for tackle Taylor Lewan. Some execs believe they could move on from Johnathan Cyprien, who has a roster bonus looming next month. "He didn't really make a lot of plays for them," as one exec put it. Some are asking questions about the run game moving forward – "Derrick Henry doesn't seem to fit what they're going to be doing there now," one personnel guy mentioned to me.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...2-teams-have-ahead-in-the-2018-nfl-offseason/

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
I really hope TJ Logan comes back strong this season...He's been awesome on Madden...lol Super quick burst...hits the outside holes and is gone.

Southpaw

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think they will release Murray and keep the younger Henry, IMO...Henry did pretty well, when Murray was hurt in playoffs.
I am of the thought that Titans will be highlighting Mariotta next year and the 2 headed running attack will be adjusted. Unless Henry improves his pass catching and blocking ability I could see him becoming expendable. Murray is the better of the two in that scheme. I am just rationalizing why a personnel guy would suggest Henry could be gone.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
I am of the thought that Titans will be highlighting Mariotta next year and the 2 headed running attack will be adjusted. Unless Henry improves his pass catching and blocking ability I could see him becoming expendable. Murray is the better of the two in that scheme. I am just rationalizing why a personnel guy would suggest Henry could be gone.

I get that...I just think they may go with younger Henry (still on rookie deal, right?), instead of Murry, who's getting older and also get's nicked up and misses time...and costs more. Maybe they do give it one more year, but if they let it play out, will Henry then be due for a new contract?

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

23 vs 30 years old
A truck with great speed considering his size
Should be the most stupid move similiar to what the Bills did benching Tyrod Taylor

wit3card

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
maybe, but on the other hand, 3 mio isn't that much for a RB that can get you 100 yards on some games, and with DJ that would be a really hard double punch with 2 RB sets with DJ and AD on the field but we will see what McCoy wants to do. If we start to be run heavy, look out that AD will be on the 53 man roster.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
With Adrian Peterson, we are pretty good at RB.

If AP gets cut, we have to address #2 RB.

Camshaft

Registered
Reaction score
  • Why not a million and two pennies backfield - David Johnson, Rashaard and Elijah Penny - a shiny and dirty penny. One is highly elusive and the other is a pounder. Elijah should have been used more last year.
Rashaard can shift directions on a dime. What is more impressive is that he sees the whole field so he can pick holes. This is proven by rushing back 7 kick offs and one punt return back for touchdowns in three years. He also rushed for more than 2200 yds his last year not counting returns.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson