UCLA Chinagate scandal

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Jeff Goodman
@GoodmanESPN

LaVar Ball told ESPN that LiAngelo and LaMelo have signed with Lonzo's agent, and the goal is to find an overseas team that will play both at the same time. This also means there’s no chance of LaMelo playing college hoops —

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jeff Goodman
@GoodmanESPN

LaVar Ball told ESPN that LiAngelo and LaMelo have signed with Lonzo's agent, and the goal is to find an overseas team that will play both at the same time. This also means there’s no chance of LaMelo playing college hoops —

Yeah kind of stupid IMO. He in a week took away a free education from Gelo, and now near as I can tell he just ended Melo's HS career too, he can't play for a prep team even because he's got an agent now.

Just stupid.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He had a formula that work for Lonzo now he's blowing that up for melo the guy is off the rails

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Adrian Wojnarowski
@wojespn

Story filed to ESPN with @DraftExpress: LiAngelo and LaMelo Ball are in serious discussions to sign professional basketball deals with Lithuanian club Prienu Vytautas. Club plans to decide in next 24-to-48 hours whether to finalize an agreement with the two American teenagers.

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Jonathan Givony
@DraftExpress

The Ball brothers are not expected to see major playing time for Prienu Vytautas in the Lithuanian (LKL) league, but could be afforded an opportunity to develop in the Baltic (BBL) League, where the stakes are much lower. The club must decide whether to pull the trigger first.

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Jonathan Givony
@DraftExpress

From what I'm told, salaries for players at this level of competition usually don't exceed $500 per month in the absolute best case. It wouldn't surprise me if the Ball brothers ended up playing for free. Certainly not the most glamorous league or part of the world to live in.

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Jonathan Givony
@DraftExpress

Prienu Vytautas has only had one American player on their roster in the past decade, Brad Tinsley, who departed after a month of action, according to my research. The Balls would likely be faced with a major culture shock in Prienai, a small village of around 10,000 people.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not even good enough to receive playing time in the Baltic League...:biglaugh:

A huge part of the issue is Lavar wants them to play together which is really limiting their odds of getting spots.

He' really screwing these 2 over IMO. Gelo could have stayed at UCLA and gotten an education, and Melo should still be in HS. I think he's materially harmed Melo's chances at a basketball future.

iLLmatiC

Drive-by Poster
Reaction score
A huge part of the issue is Lavar wants them to play together which is really limiting their odds of getting spots.

He' really screwing these 2 over IMO. Gelo could have stayed at UCLA and gotten an education, and Melo should still be in HS. I think he's materially harmed Melo's chances at a basketball future.

Gelo is not good enough to play ball at any level based on what I've seen of him so that UCLA education would've been nice. Melo looks like he has the skills but I believe, like you, that his dad is going to severely hinder his development by taking him overseas.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gelo is not good enough to play ball at any level based on what I've seen of him so that UCLA education would've been nice. Melo looks like he has the skills but I believe, like you, that his dad is going to severely hinder his development by taking him overseas.

Gelo agreed no pro prospects. As I mentioned before there were people at UCLA making early contact with him about possibly giving football a shot at some point. My understanding is the response was I'm a 1 and done anyways so no thanks but the idea was they were hoping to convince him leaving after 1 year made no earthly sense, and if he stayed in school he could be a role player in basketball, and possibly at some point give football a try.

Melo can shoot and he's pretty creative on offense but way too skinny, no defense at all, and a major gunner. He really needs to play in a structured system to learn how the game is played and that's the only good he might get out of Lithuania if someone makes him play in a team concept.

iLLmatiC

Drive-by Poster
Reaction score
Gelo agreed no pro prospects. As I mentioned before there were people at UCLA making early contact with him about possibly giving football a shot at some point. My understanding is the response was I'm a 1 and done anyways so no thanks but the idea was they were hoping to convince him leaving after 1 year made no earthly sense, and if he stayed in school he could be a role player in basketball, and possibly at some point give football a try.

Melo can shoot and he's pretty creative on offense but way too skinny, no defense at all, and a major gunner. He really needs to play in a structured system to learn how the game is played and that's the only good he might get out of Lithuania if someone makes him play in a team concept.

I never knew they talked to Gelo about converting him to football. I think the differences between football and basketball are too vast and it takes a special kind of person to play football, especially at the D-1 level. He kind of comes off a little soft to me like the rest of his brothers so I'm not sure how that would've worked out for him.

What I see out of Melo is good dribbling and average shooting. I'm not enamored with his push shot and am still confused how Lavar's 3 sons do not shoot a basketball correctly considering he's a coach. I think Melo has the height but he is way underweight, he will get pushed around a lot unless he starts to seriously eat and lift weights.

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Jeff Goodman
@GoodmanESPN

Harrison Gaines, the agent for all three Ball Brothers, told ESPN that LiAngelo and LaMelo have signed a one-year deal with Lithuanian team Vytautas. Expected to head to Lithuania in early-January.

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Shams Charania
@ShamsCharania

Lithuanian team Vytautas‘ statement on signing LaMelo and LiAngelo Ball to one-year deals: “Our club is excited for the arrival of LiAngelo and LaMelo Ball. We are committed to their long-term success and development as professional basketball players.”

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Jeff Goodman
@GoodmanESPN

Just spoke to someone who is extremely familiar with Lithuanian basketball. Said this team is ideal for the Ball brothers — except for fact the coach doesn’t speak English - because they play guys out of position, shoot a ton of 3’s and don’t defend. “It’s a perfect match.”
:lol:

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Jeff Goodman
@GoodmanESPN

Spoke with a couple more players familiar with the team in Lithuania where the youngest Ball boys are headed. "There's not a lot of structure. The coach goes crazy, yells and screams all the time. ... he's crazy." Wonder what the over-under is for the number of days they make it.

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Donatas Urbonas

@Urbodo

According to the deal with Ball bros, LiAngelo & LaMelo will arrive to Prienai on the 4th of Janaury. They are expected to play their first professional basketball game on the 9th of January vs BC Tsmoki-Minsk (Belarus)

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I never knew they talked to Gelo about converting him to football. I think the differences between football and basketball are too vast and it takes a special kind of person to play football, especially at the D-1 level. He kind of comes off a little soft to me like the rest of his brothers so I'm not sure how that would've worked out for him.

What I see out of Melo is good dribbling and average shooting. I'm not enamored with his push shot and am still confused how Lavar's 3 sons do not shoot a basketball correctly considering he's a coach. I think Melo has the height but he is way underweight, he will get pushed around a lot unless he starts to seriously eat and lift weights.

I think it was unofficial like members of the football team suggesting to him he might want to consider it in the future. I don't think it was anybody from UCLA's coaching staff.

Gelo is actually built like a football player he leaned out some before getting to UCLA but he's still a big kid. I think I read he hadn't played football since he was like 10-11 years old, I could see him giving TE a crack although he seems like a pretty straight line athlete.

But the idea was they were trying to give him suggestions on why it made no sense to leave after 1 year since the NBA was a non option. Stay in school, be a college student etc.

Sad situation but I guess with Lonzo having an NBA contract Lavar thinks it's safe to gamble with the other 2 and their futures.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jeff Goodman
@GoodmanESPN

Spoke with a couple more players familiar with the team in Lithuania where the youngest Ball boys are headed. "There's not a lot of structure. The coach goes crazy, yells and screams all the time. ... he's crazy." Wonder what the over-under is for the number of days they make it.

Reeves Nelson lasted a few weeks IIRC. Where he was the coach was a disciplinarian and he was just not willing to deal with it. And that was a kid who played 2.5 years for screamer Ben Howland. Gelo and Melo have never played for a screamer coach and now they will and it won't be in English.

I doubt they last 10 games

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My big issue here is that not only is Lavar not putting the best interests of his sons front and center, he's not even following his own suggestion.

When he pulled Melo out of Chino Hills HS he said the best move for him was home school, get a trainer and work out for 2 years to get ready for college and then the NBA draft. Then a few months later because he pulls Gelo out of school, suddenly the best move is to have Melo sign a pro contract in Lithuania?

What's best for Melo is not the same as what's best for Gelo and frankly Melo is the 1 of the 2 that has any chance, no matter how remote, to ever play NBA ball. He should be doing what's best for Melo

iLLmatiC

Drive-by Poster
Reaction score
^ Lonzo's not any good either. He's been getting exposed for his poor shooting and hesitant nature.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
^ Lonzo's not any good either. He's been getting exposed for his poor shooting and hesitant nature.

He's certainly struggling but he's going to be good IMO. He's averaging 6.6 rebounds and 7 apg as a rookie. There's a nice story on him on Yahoo today
https://sports.yahoo.com/questions-lonzo-ball-inconsistent-play-shouldnt-one-060240498.html

Nobody is saying he's the best ever except for his dad, but he's starting to shoot a little better(had 10 in the 3rd quarter last night), he's shooting just under 40% in the month of December 5 games so far.

His defense is hit or miss, he struggled with Nkitlina last night in the 4th quarter for example, yet he continues to make plays on defense, blocks shots gets steals and deflections, he's clearly improving on that end of the floor.

He's got to get stronger and work on going to his right but he's playing better. Even DeAaron Fox is struggling. Smith Jr is getting lots of PT and lots of hype for his dunks and his athleticism but even he is shooting under 40% and has 4/3 A/TO ratio and is getting absolutely brutalized on defense, when they played the Warriors they had to literally take him off the court because the Warriors were just running play after play to get Curry or Livingston on him and scoring at will. It's not easy to play PG in the NBA as a rookie.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Yeah that's actually pretty likely the case. They're getting free room and board and rides to and from games but that's likely it.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard