UCLA Chinagate scandal

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Wow. LaVar is just a mess. I would avoid drafting any of his kids because of the circus atmosphere that follows their father. Just not worth it, IMHO.

He's a terrible interview but again what I THINK he was trying to say is there is not any actual evidence that Trump got the players off.They were already on bail out of jail in a hotel before Trump had even heard what happened. By that time Jack Ma of Alibaba, had already used his contacts to try and help, this was being reported from multiple sources in the media while this was all going on.

Then Lavar went too far by trying to suggest that HE in some way helped get them out which I don't believe for a second.

UCLA, Jack Ma, the US State Department were all involved and had already dramatically sped up the process. It went from wide reports it would be weeks before they get a bail hearing to them out on bail in 12 hours, and that had NOTHING to do with Trump.

I wish Lavar had just let it go but then he wouldn't have even had anything to comment on if Trump hadn't insisted on demanding an apology which is why reporters asked Lavar about it and he responded.

We're never going to know what really happened.

Hopefully this is the end of the back and forth but knowing Trump and Lavar, I doubt it.

AsUpRoDiGy

Magnanimous
Reaction score
Lavar Ball and Trump should get married...they're perfect for eachother.

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Bleacher Report‏Verified account@BleacherReport 1m1 minute ago

LiAngelo won’t return to UCLA after LaVar Ball pulls him from school amid suspension for shoplifting in China, per @TMZ

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bleacher Report‏Verified account@BleacherReport 1m1 minute ago

LiAngelo won’t return to UCLA after LaVar Ball pulls him from school amid suspension for shoplifting in China, per @TMZ

Man you are quick, I was just coming here to post that the story literally hit UCLA boards in the last 10 minutes.

I haven't seen it confirmed but my guess is that the China 3 may have gotten wind of the school punishment and Lavar decided to do this now to get ahead of it?

Probably cements that Melo never plays at UCLA either.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Man you are quick, I was just coming here to post that the story literally hit UCLA boards in the last 10 minutes.

I haven't seen it confirmed but my guess is that the China 3 may have gotten wind of the school punishment and Lavar decided to do this now to get ahead of it?

Probably cements that Melo never plays at UCLA either.

Probably good for UCLA in the long run

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Jeff Goodman‏Verified account@GoodmanESPN 33s34 seconds ago

LaVar Ball: "He's not transferring to another school," he told ESPN. "The plan is now to get Gelo ready for the NBA Draft." The plan was always for LiAngelo to spend one season at UCLA and then leave, regardless of whether he was projected to be drafted.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

So stupid the kid was a straight A student in HS, he could have still gotten an education at UCLA but Lavar made such a big deal out of him being a 1 and done no matter what, he didn't want to just leave him in school if he won't be playing.

Poor Lonzo I hope he's saving his rookie contract money as best he can he's going to be financing the entire family the way it looks.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So stupid the kid was a straight A student in HS, he could have still gotten an education at UCLA but Lavar made such a big deal out of him being a 1 and done no matter what, he didn't want to just leave him in school if he won't be playing.

Poor Lonzo I hope he's saving his rookie contract money as best he can he's going to be financing the entire family the way it looks.

I hope at some point Lonzo grows some stones and tells his dad to get the hell out of his life.
He just ruined Gelo. And who is going to want to touch Melo? No big school will, and Lavar won't allow him to go to anywhere "beneath" his standards.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hope at some point Lonzo grows some stones and tells his dad to get the hell out of his life.
He just ruined Gelo. And who is going to want to touch Melo? No big school will, and Lavar won't allow him to go to anywhere "beneath" his standards.

Lavar says Melo is still committed to and plans to play for UCLA. I don't think that's serious but that's what he says.

The rumor is the players believe they're getting 1 year suspensions and that's why Lavar pulled Gelo. Last night UCLA started playing the scholarship player on the roster, one UCLA fans call "JC Ike" in regular portions of the game instead of with the walkons as is normally the case. The logical conclusion is Alford now knows he's not getting Riley and Hill back this year and might need JC Ike at some point so he's getting him ready now.

I'd say it's pretty likely Melo never plays for UCLA, I think the reason Lavar is saying he intends to is just so that everytime someone says the name Melo Ball now, they can still say committed to UCLA.

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Jeff Goodman‏Verified account@GoodmanESPN 44m44 minutes ago

LaVar Ball also said that he has yet to inform the UCLA coaching staff that he is pulling LiAngelo. "I haven't told any of those guys,"Lavar told ESPN. "They didn't tell me anything, so why am I gonna tell them."

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jeff Goodman‏Verified account@GoodmanESPN 44m44 minutes ago

LaVar Ball also said that he has yet to inform the UCLA coaching staff that he is pulling LiAngelo. "I haven't told any of those guys,"Lavar told ESPN. "They didn't tell me anything, so why am I gonna tell them."

That's hilarious, there's nothing to tell him the decision is out of the coaches hands it's an academic decision now.

Lavar can be frustrated all he wants but the fact is his son admitting that he shoplifted in China, he gave away all control of the situation when he did that.

OP
OP
Southpaw

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Arrest LaVar for child abuse. Does the mother have any input on her son's lives or is she as bat guano crazy as Lavar is?

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Tom Schad
@Tom_Schad

LiAngelo Ball says on the Today Show that he was facing a 2-3 month suspension at UCLA before deciding to withdraw from school. "That's the whole season, pretty much," he said.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Arrest LaVar for child abuse. Does the mother have any input on her son's lives or is she as bat guano crazy as Lavar is?

I don't watch the FB show but from people who do the mom is still not 100% recovered from her stroke last year so I doubt she has much say on these decisions. Apparently several of the early episodes showed her doing physical workouts in the pool trying to get back to walking normally, and doing speech therapy. I've said this before on the basketball board I don't think people appreciate enough what Lonzo has gone through the last year. Having a tremendous freshman year when all of a sudden his mom has a stroke, from what's been written there was actually a point there where they weren't sure if she was going to survive the stroke, and then after that they weren't sure if she was going to ever recover from it. He played the last few weeks of his college career dealing with his mom being in the hospital, then all the pre draft training and stuff coming off an injury. Due to his dads big mouth half the NBA is gunning for him, he's certainly had his struggles but there aren't too many rookies in the NBA with more pressure on them.

Which is why what his dad is doing with the younger brothers is so unfair, it's just adding to the pressure on Lonzo.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just a bad decision that didn't in any way put the best interests of his son first. Honestly there were people at UCLA who were trying to convince Gelo to consider trying out for football at some point because they thought he had a better chance as say a TE, than in basketball.

It is clear that LaVar is putting his pride ahead of what's best for Gelo. Even if Melo is good, Gelo isn't that good. By forcing him out of UCLA, he is limiting his opportunities

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not a big Jason Whitlock fan but he has an interesting spin on this. He says very connected UCLA sources tell him Gelo Ball completely lied saying he was just following along the other 2 players. That Gelo's credit card being denied at the first store is what actually started the whole thing, the players then shoplifted. He also says Gelo was the only 1 of the 3 players who stole from all 3 stores. He said Gelo blaming the other 2 players is a case of him throwing them under the bus and then backing over them.

No idea what's true or what's not but if Whitlock is correct Gelo just crossed a huge line blaming his teammates.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard