Tyler Johnson to the Suns

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Maybe I am one of the few but I think the Suns are closer than we might think. Add a starting caliber point guard and a power forward, I think they are ready to compete.

If the Suns do not get lucky in the draft, they may need to make a move if the right player becomes available in trade. The Suns cannot keep waiting for the draft to determine their future.

I agree. I for one am getting tired of these types of moves/trades/acquisitions. He doesn't move the needle.

If you listened to Jones yesterday, he does not seem to think the team is close to competing right now. He said the team has a lot of holes. It surprised me, but made me feel a little better that they are realistic about where the team is at. But he also emphasized time should cure a lot of our problems, meaning several of young players are going to improve.

If you watch one of Josh Jackson's games in the first month of the year he was literally the worst player in the NBA getting any minutes. The last 2 or 3 games he has literally been the teams best player. That is how fast things can turn around. I think the same kind of leap can easily happen over the summer with Ayton, Bridges and Melton not to mention Jackson still has a lot of room to improve.

I have faith this team is going to be much better next year.

It'd be great if the light came on for all those mentioned. That's 4 players not including Oubre, i'm not worried about Ayton, so 4 unproven players still that we hope to develop with us. If we keep all of them and plan on them panning out, that's 4 rotational players that we have to wait on. Just seems like that's a bigger risk than going after someone proven ie a star.

SunnyBaller

All Star
Reaction score
If you listened to Jones yesterday, he does not seem to think the team is close to competing right now. He said the team has a lot of holes. It surprised me, but made me feel a little better that they are realistic about where the team is at. But he also emphasized time should cure a lot of our problems, meaning several of young players are going to improve.

If you watch one of Josh Jackson's games in the first month of the year he was literally the worst player in the NBA getting any minutes. The last 2 or 3 games he has literally been the teams best player. That is how fast things can turn around. I think the same kind of leap can easily happen over the summer with Ayton, Bridges and Melton not to mention Jackson still has a lot of room to improve.

I'm glad they are being realistic, as much as we all hate it you do have commit to a rebuild, most rebuilds don't take 1 off-season they take a few and yes it's been alot longer than that but thats because we had a failed rebuild and had to start over, I think this rebuild started with drafting JJ , Zion could be the player who ends our rebuild but that's only if we are lucky otherwise it'll probably still be another 2 years . We all want to see them win now but trading away half our young players for a star only makes us a barely relavant 6-8 seed in the playoffs if they want to compete for real they have to hit 2 or three times in the draft first so unless they hate everyone outside of Zion you still have to use the pick on unproven talent if there's not a STAR available for trade with it

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Josh Jackson started out really slow last year as well. And it was about this same time of year that he turned it around. I am just not a believer yet. If he comes back next October and plays well then, I will start to believe.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Josh Jackson started out really slow last year as well. And it was about this same time of year that he turned it around. I am just not a believer yet. If he comes back next October and plays well then, I will start to believe.

I know what you are saying - but it is not just that he is playing better this year it is that he is playing smarter. Last year in the second half of the season he still had bad shot selection and not a very good field goal percentage.

The reason I think he has finally figured it out is he is no longer committing nearly as many stupid turnovers, and he is really only taking shots he can make at a good percentage - with the possible exception being his crazy flat runners. His defense recently is also the best it has ever been.

Really all he has to do is improve his jump shot and he will be a very good all around player - and considering his form is now decent, I think it is reasonable to assume that will happen.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

People have been saying that the last 5 years.

Carolinacacti

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Tyler Johnson is left handed. I have a feeling he is here to help Okobo develop. This rebuild is going to take years. Ayton is not taking us anywhere for at least 3 years. The Broken one Booker will never take us alone

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Last year was about adjusting to the NBA, this year was all about adjusting to a new offense and completely new responsibilities on the floor. Assuming we still have the same offense in place next year and JJ continues to work on his game than I don't see any major steps backward for JJ next year and likely only a step forward.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Last year was about adjusting to the NBA, this year was all about adjusting to a new offense and completely new responsibilities on the floor. Assuming we still have the same offense in place next year and JJ continues to work on his game than I don't see any major steps backward for JJ next year and likely only a step forward.

That's part of why I'm against firing Igor. Until we give him a complete roster with a real NBA PG I don't think it's fair to use him as a scapegoat for the Suns shortcomings. The players will feel the hit more than anyone else. Anyone that thinks we can bring in a new coach every year, or more than 1 a year even, doesn't realize what that could do to our young players development. Jackson has that running diary this season on the Undefeated and he's spoken about how hard it's been adjusting to the NBA and being on his third coach and 2nd GM already. Booker has a little more time than Josh but he's had Hornacek, Watson, Triano, and Igor now as his coaches, in year 4. Do we want Ayton to deal with the same thing? I hope we bring in an assistant big's coach to work with Ayton more 1 on 1 but we need some continuity.

Here's a link to Jackson's running diary, last entry was a week ago about the trade deadline. Thought I'd link it since I mentioned it.

Last edited:

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
His recent success was with Booker and Warren out. Someone had to step up and it is good to see that he did.

But the long term test will be how good, if and when, he is when he is not the only desperation scoring leader.

Right now it is a choppy development we're seeing. And it plays right into the hands of Igor's short-sighted offensive schemes.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's part of why I'm against firing Igor. Until we give him a complete roster with a real NBA PG I don't think it's fair to use him as a scapegoat for the Suns shortcomings. The players will feel the hit more than anyone else. Anyone that thinks we can bring in a new coach every year, or more than 1 a year even, doesn't realize what that could do to our young players development. Jackson has that running diary this season on the Undefeated and he's spoken about how hard it's been adjusting to the NBA and being on his third coach and 2nd GM already. Booker has a little more time than Josh but he's Hornacek, Watson, Triano, and Igor now as his coaches, in year 4. Do we want Ayton to deal with the same thing? I hope we bring in an assistant big's coach to work with Ayton more 1 on 1 but we need some continuity.

Here's a link to Jackson's running diary, last entry was a week ago about the trade deadline. Thought I'd link it since I mentioned it.

I agree with all this, I have no interest in firing Koko this season nor probably next. But I am still concerned about his offense, I just don't see how adding a quality point guard fixes the "apparent" shortcomings. I guess I'm just not convinced that it's ideal for this league but moving on from him without clear evidence he's the wrong coach (and IMO we have NOT seen that) just sets us back again and I'm tired of that.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
I agree with all this, I have no interest in firing Koko this season nor probably next. But I am still concerned about his offense, I just don't see how adding a quality point guard fixes the "apparent" shortcomings. I guess I'm just not convinced that it's ideal for this league but moving on from him without clear evidence he's the wrong coach (and IMO we have NOT seen that) just sets us back again and I'm tired of that.
Under the status quo, it is a good point.

But if an experienced, professional General Manager were brought in, his hiring his own choice for Head Coach would be logical.

Unfortunately, there is not a snowball's chance in hell that a strong GM will be hired.

Dysfunctionality begets dysfunctionality!

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
His recent success was with Booker and Warren out. Someone had to step up and it is good to see that he did.

But the long term test will be how good, if and when, he is when he is not the only desperation scoring leader.

Right now it is a choppy development we're seeing. And it plays right into the hands of Igor's short-sighted offensive schemes.
His recent success started about a month ago coming off the bench (with Booker and Warren playing). It still continued with Warren out and Booker playing and only became more obvious when he was put in the starting lineup.

Errntknght

Reaction score
The evidence against Igor is fairly strong, IMO. But the question is, do we have anyone in the FO who we can depend on for finding a better coach? I don't see anyone so just for the sake of some continuity we should continue with Igor, and hope that he can improve. Like BC said in the post above, if we somehow lucked into professional GM who wanted his own HC then fine make the change, otherwise don't just fire Igor and gamble. If 1Sun had been pelting us with other established coaches we could readily hire, it might be a sensible gamble, but he's mentioned none that I recall - and I don't have him on ignore!

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

He gone

much better than using that huge expiring contract to match salaries and get something back.

god I hate James Jones

Suns_fan69

Official ASFN Lurker
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

He gone
Man, it's probably the right move but I liked TJ. He was nothing but professional when he came last year and played very well to close the season out. Took care of the ball, played solid defense and shot decently as well. Too bad he couldn't really replicate any of that this year.

Good luck TJ!

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
much better than using that huge expiring contract to match salaries and get something back.

god I hate James Jones
What really blows my mind is that you assume that he didn't attempt to do just that. There probably just wasn't a deal they felt was worth doing since we would likely have to take back long term contracts to do it.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

god I hate James Jones

Other than Drummond, who was dealt at the deadline for a large expiring? It doesn't appear there was anything like that available that would have addressed a need or upgraded the team.

I thought Tyler and his contract would be able to fetch something headed into the season but the closer the deadline came, the more apparent it was that there wasn't a deal to be made outside of trading for Kevin Love, which could have been disastrous, IMO.

Expiring contracts don't have the value they once did.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So that's what, a 20 mil cap hit right there?

Essentially no hit, he was getting paid this year regardless. This just gets him out the door quicker and keeps the team from having to renounce his rights this summer. His contract expired at seasons end anyways. They had his bird rights and would have needed to renounce those but that was happening regardless.

AsUpRoDiGy

Magnanimous
Reaction score
Dude went from making $20M to probably playing for vet minimum just to stay in the league. Awful contract, awful trade, and awful player.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm wondering if the Suns will add another player.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard