Tyler Johnson to the Suns

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
OK. What is the point in Miami doing this trade. Anderson is nothing. They are taking on more salary commitment AND getting the worst player in the trade.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Bigger question is why we took on Ellington at all? If we are just going to waive him, why didn't Miami just do it themselves. Oh, yeah, it's because they would have had to pay his salary. Instead, we get to do it. For what?? The trade was good straight up. Only thing I can think of is that the Suns (and Heat) view Tyler Johnson as a much better asset than Anderson regardless of the money. So in order for us to get rid of Anderson, we can get Tyler Johnson, which is probably a net positive in the Suns' eyes, but Miami would only do it if we took Ellington off their hands. We can argue forever as to why we think Johnson is worth doing that, but I'm guessing that the market for Anderson was nonexistant until this deal opened up.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
stop talking if you have no clue

this trade increased our capspace for next year.

Ryan Anderson conceded about $6m in the final year of his contract if he is waived to make it equal money to Brandon Knight's last year.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
You keep forgetting to factor in the restructuring of Anderson's deal where we save cap space by buying him out this summer.

Johnson with his player option has more guaranteed money and cap space taken up than a bought-out Anderson does.

I am not forgetting anything.

This is not the NFL restructuring your contract does not work like that in the NBA.

Anderson only guaranteed to be paid less than what he is due. His cap hit is not affected by that.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
That's not the argument, BC! Of course there are questions of fit for Tyler Johnson, but that's not what we are talking about! We're talking about the merits of having Johnson vs. having Anderson on the payroll.
But if anyone considers Tyler Johnson to be the answer at Point Guard with this young team, and it precludes the search for a legitimate PG, it may fit the payroll, but it won't help the players on the court.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Ryan Anderson conceded about $6m in the final year of his contract if he is waived to make it equal money to Brandon Knight's last year.
How many times...

That is all fine but it does not change his cap number. It only changes what Sarver(the Suns) actually pay him.

AsUdUdE

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
There are multiple levels here...

But overall, getting a decent rotation guy to try out at PG for the last person on earth you want to play for you and in exchange you lose 4 million in cap room NEXT season and in all reality if he doesn't fit he could just sit in the same seat Anderson did, is totally fine!

I don't understand anyone who "hates" this trade... there is such little downside here (and admittedly limited upside) that harsh knee jerk reactions aren't warranted....

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
But if anyone considers Tyler Johnson to be the answer at Point Guard with this young team, and it precludes the search for a legitimate PG, it may fit the payroll, but it won't help the players on the floor.
NOBODY does!! I just don't get why you keep spouting this narrative when literally NOBODY here fits it.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
OK. What is the point in Miami doing this trade. Anderson is nothing. They are taking on more salary commitment AND getting the worst player in the trade.

They reduce their payroll THIS season by moving Ellington who is expiring which saves them luxury tax.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Bigger question is why we took on Ellington at all? If we are just going to waive him, why didn't Miami just do it themselves. Oh, yeah, it's because they would have had to pay his salary. Instead, we get to do it. For what?? The trade was good straight up. Only thing I can think of is that the Suns (and Heat) view Tyler Johnson as a much better asset than Anderson regardless of the money. So in order for us to get rid of Anderson, we can get Tyler Johnson, which is probably a net positive in the Suns' eyes, but Miami would only do it if we took Ellington off their hands. We can argue forever as to why we think Johnson is worth doing that, but I'm guessing that the market for Anderson was nonexistant until this deal opened up.
The whole point of Miami doing this deal was to get tax relief this year. If they don’t include Ellington in the deal than it does nothing for them. Us paying Ellington’s salary is the cost of us getting the best player in the trade.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
The whole point of Miami doing this deal was to get tax relief this year. If they don’t include Ellington in the deal than it does nothing for them. Us paying Ellington’s salary is the cost of us getting the best player in the trade.
Yes, that's MIAMI'S reason for the trade. I'm speculating on our reasons for the trade.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I think taking on Ellington's contract is one of the reasons the Heat made the trade.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
NOBODY does!! I just don't get why you keep spouting this narrative when literally NOBODY here fits it.
If I understand you correctly, you're referring to what posters think. I am referring to what the Front Office may be thinking.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I think you're wrong.
I don't think he is. The contract itself was never change or amended. I'm guessing another contract was drawn up as an amendment or something that only discussed the payout, not how it affects the cap. I'm not sure the NBA or Union would go along with something like that, even if the player wanted it.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
If I understand you correctly, you're referring to what posters think. I am referring to what the Front Office may be thinking.
But you don't know that either.

There are 2 things that we know:

1) Johnson is not a better PG than Booker.
2) The front office isn't content with Booker in that position full time. Disagree if you want, but that's a fact. Him being there is a necessity with this roster.

Logically, both those 2 facts would say that the Front Office does not think that Johnson is the new full-time PG.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also the Suns may be able to buy out Ellington to save them some money.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Yes, that's MIAMI'S reason for the trade. I'm speculating on our reasons for the trade.
We flipped a player who is terrible for a solid player (who can play some point) with a similar salary. That is why we did it.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
I don't think he is. The contract itself was never change or amended. I'm guessing another contract was drawn up as an amendment or something that only discussed the payout, not how it affects the cap. I'm not sure the NBA or Union would go along with something like that, even if the player wanted it.

No other contract was drawn up.

He simply agreed that he is not entitled to the full payout.

Restructuring, Re-negotiating simply isn't a thing in the NBA CBA.

If people refuse to believe this go look it up in the CBA or ask yourself the question : Why don't we see players every year ammending their contracts to create that 2M$ or so extra capspace to get their buddy free agent? It is not a thing !!

When players agree to forfeit part of their salaries when they get bought out, the team waiving them does not get caproom, it does not even change how much luxury tax they pay. It only changes what they pay as salary to that player.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
But you don't know that either.
Again, what I, or any fan "knows" (thinks) isn't what will help the Suns build for a step up.

I believe it is a legitimate concern that the acquisition of Johnson could lessen even more a search for a Point Guard, to make the rest of the team (and our potential stars) better.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Again, what I, or any fan "knows" (thinks) isn't what will help the Suns build for a step up.

I believe it is a legitimate concern that the acquisition of Johnson could lessen even more a search for a Point Guard, to make the rest of the team (and our potential stars) better.
No it won't. PLease see my edited post above.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a few people on ignore, but it sounds like people are complaining that the Suns lose some cap space. Even if that's true... the same people were likely saying nobody would sign with the Suns anyway.

It could be the Suns are thinking trade this summer and they need Tyler Johnson's salary to make it work.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdndndn