TV hook up question? Red, white and Yellow cords vs S-video?

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
how many manufacturers do you know that actually include an HDMI cable with their machine?

That is a great deal. Directv gets props from me for that as well. Their HD receiver came with an HDMI cable as well as component cables and composite cables.

Saved me $50.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That is a great deal. Directv gets props from me for that as well. Their HD receiver came with an HDMI cable as well as component cables and composite cables.

Saved me $50.

Thats because you did not get them at monoprice.com

I bought two HDMI cables from there for less than $10.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Thats because you did not get them at monoprice.com

I bought two HDMI cables from there for less than $10.

I checked them out but apparently the word is out on monoprice and the HDMI cables were on back order. You had to leave an email address so they could contact you when they had more available.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Either way it's still a great deal that DTV is providing them when so many others do not.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like my DTV HD-DVR. It works great. So both. :)

I wish I could have Satellite. The way that my apartment is, and being so close to South Mountain, it has to point in a certain direction, and my apartment building is right in the way. I am paying like $125 a month for my cable internet and HD DVR service. It's craziness.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Oppo comes today!!! Can't wait to fire it up!!!

Awesome. I want to go to their website and buy another one now. I have spent way too much money this weekend though.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wish I could have Satellite. The way that my apartment is, and being so close to South Mountain, it has to point in a certain direction, and my apartment building is right in the way. I am paying like $125 a month for my cable internet and HD DVR service. It's craziness.

Yeah that bites. If you knew how much I am spending for family entertainment you would probably freak. lol. Adding the NFL ticket and NBA league pass doesn't help.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah that bites. If you knew how much I am spending for family entertainment you would probably freak. lol. Adding the NFL ticket and NBA league pass doesn't help.

Well, a good part of my entertainment cost consists of the 600+ DVDs and 100+ TV shows on DVD. I don't even want to tell you how much $$ I have spent on those.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, a good part of my entertainment cost consists of the 600+ DVDs and 100+ TV shows on DVD. I don't even want to tell you how much $$ I have spent on those.

Sounds like we are in the same boat but with no cargo space left. I don't have as many TV shows but I have lost count of my movie total. I am actually slowing down on purchases because I know I am going to go HD-DVD/Blu-Ray soon.

I want to get one of the new combo players but I am waiting for one that will use all the features of HD DVD. The new LG one will play both Blu-Ray and HD DVD but doesn't utilize the interactive features of HD DVD. So it's HD DVD light. I am hoping that the other 2 coming out are not the same.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds like we are in the same boat but with no cargo space left. I don't have as many TV shows but I have lost count of my movie total. I am actually slowing down on purchases because I know I am going to go HD-DVD/Blu-Ray soon.

I want to get one of the new combo players but I am waiting for one that will use all the features of HD DVD. The new LG one will play both Blu-Ray and HD DVD but doesn't utilize the interactive features of HD DVD. So it's HD DVD light. I am hoping that the other 2 coming out are not the same.

Well, for most TV shows, transferring them to HD will do nothing for the PQ. Shows these days that are shot in HD and widescrren is different though. My TV on DVD is split between classics and current shows.

I don't think I would ever buy a combo player. For that same $1200, you could buy a PS3 with Blu-Ray (which isn't that bad of a player) and an A2, and still have a some money to spare.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, for most TV shows, transferring them to HD will do nothing for the PQ. Shows these days that are shot in HD and widescrren is different though. My TV on DVD is split between classics and current shows.

I don't think I would ever buy a combo player. For that same $1200, you could buy a PS3 with Blu-Ray (which isn't that bad of a player) and an A2, and still have a some money to spare.

Or I could by an HD DVD drive for the 360. The problem with either of those is that if the other wins you either have an overpriced console in the PS3 or a useless add on for the 360. Having said that, I have a connection so I would not pay retail for one of the combo drives anyway. Also, I am waiting for all 3 to come out as well so there will be some pricing wars.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Or I could by an HD DVD drive for the 360. The problem with either of those is that if the other wins you either have an overpriced console in the PS3 or a useless add on for the 360. Having said that, I have a connection so I would not pay retail for one of the combo drives anyway. Also, I am waiting for all 3 to come out as well so there will be some pricing wars.

Well, the add on, only is capable of 1080p though VGA. (especially upconverting)

You also won't be able to have TrueHD and DTS HD available though the add on either. I wouldn't buy the add on.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, the add on, only is capable of 1080p though VGA. (especially upconverting)

You also won't be able to have TrueHD and DTS HD available though the add on either. I wouldn't buy the add on.

I don't think either is optimal at this point. It's just too early to tell who is going to win. That's why I want a combo. It just kills me going into stores like Best Buy and seeing those HD DVD/Blu-Ray discs on the shelf.

They are calling me. :help:

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think either is optimal at this point. It's just too early to tell who is going to win. That's why I want a combo. It just kills me going into stores like Best Buy and seeing those HD DVD/Blu-Ray discs on the shelf.

They are calling me. :help:

I know what you mean. My 1080p TV is just dying for more HD content.

I am going to try and hold off one more year. I think that the prices were going to plummet, and we are going to see combo players in the $600-700 range with 1.3HDMI and all the new specs included.

UncleChris

Shocking, I tell you!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sweet, weepin' gee-ah-zis!!!! The Oppo is absolutely out of this world. Viewing videos via the HDMI cable is a big improvement. The upscaling is not HD, but a definite improvement.

Maybe I'm going blind, but I couldn't see any difference between running regular DVD's at 720p or at 1080i (both are fantastic!).

Out of 5 stars, I give the Oppo970hd six stars!

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sweet, weepin' gee-ah-zis!!!! The Oppo is absolutely out of this world. Viewing videos via the HDMI cable is a big improvement. The upscaling is not HD, but a definite improvement.

Maybe I'm going blind, but I couldn't see any difference between running regular DVD's at 720p or at 1080i (both are fantastic!).

Out of 5 stars, I give the Oppo970hd six stars!

Your welcome. :)

I am going to buy another one this weekend.

You should write reviews. Phrases like "Sweet, weepin' gee-ah-zis" are awesome.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe I'm going blind, but I couldn't see any difference between running regular DVD's at 720p or at 1080i (both are fantastic!)

Comparing both resolutions has long been a videophile debate. I personally like 720p for some types of programs over 1080i. Though I admit, there is not much of a difference IMO. It's sort of like comparing red apples to green apples when you love both. Is one really better then the other?

Bottom line is if you picture is great and you love it.....who cares if it's 720p or 1080i.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Comparing both resolutions has long been a videophile debate. I personally like 720p for some types of programs over 1080i. Though I admit, there is not much of a difference IMO. It's sort of like comparing red apples to green apples when you love both. Is one really better then the other?

Bottom line is if you picture is great and you love it.....who cares if it's 720p or 1080i.

Agreed. The differences can be minimal, or great, depending on your TV's internal scaler. Different TV's give different results, thus the different opinions.

Overall, you should stick with your TV's native resolution (or as close as you can get) so you minimize the work that your TV's scaler has to do.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
update. I just bought another Oppo 970 dvd player at Amazon for $149. I hope that's where you bought yours at UncleChris.

I am excited all over again.

UncleChris

Shocking, I tell you!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
update. I just bought another Oppo 970 dvd player at Amazon for $149. I hope that's where you bought yours at UncleChris.

I am excited all over again.

I actually bought mine from ProjectorPeople.com for the same price. I upgraded the shipping to 2nd day air, so Amazon's free shipping wouldn't have helped me.

I've had this puppy for a week and am still loving it!

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I actually bought mine from ProjectorPeople.com for the same price. I upgraded the shipping to 2nd day air, so Amazon's free shipping wouldn't have helped me.

I've had this puppy for a week and am still loving it!

I love Amazon's shipping. I ordered the DVD player on the 16th with the free shipping, and it is schedule to arrive tomorrow.

I am having TV problems right now though. It is going to have to be serviced.

I think that I am going to have to stop recommending Mitsubishi TV's.