Tuesday, June 1 Practice Report

Jim O

Reaction score
Tuesday Practice Report, June 1
Chrissy Mauck azcardinals.com

You must be registered for see images

The Arizona Cardinals staged a mid-morning practice on Tuesday. The organized team workout marked the first of eleven practices to be held over the next three weeks.

Cooler temperatures had prevailed the last two weeks for the rookie practices but it broke a 100 degrees Tuesday and the players definitely felt the heat.

More...

You must be registered for see images

Coby Rhinehart was one of the vets who returned to practice today following off-season surgery.

vikesfan

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
QUOTE: "Coach read something from a book to us today about working together and growing together and I think this is one of those things that will help us grow and that is what we are here for.”

There is a lot more to coaching a winner then people realize. You don't fluke out no losing seasons in 9 years with 8 playoff appearences and 4 division titles.

arthurracoon

The Cardinal Smiles
Reaction score
vikesfan said:
QUOTE: "Coach read something from a book to us today about working together and growing together and I think this is one of those things that will help us grow and that is what we are here for.”

There is a lot more to coaching a winner then people realize. You don't fluke out no losing seasons in 9 years with 8 playoff appearences and 4 division titles.

:raccoon:

I noticed that, and it stood out.

Metal Militia

Veteran
Reaction score
vikesfan said:

He read a book to the team? Awesome. I am going to make my reservation for hotel down in Jacksonville for the Super Bowl!

:D

vikesfan

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Metal Militia said:
He read a book to the team? Awesome. I am going to make my reservation for hotel down in Jacksonville for the Super Bowl!

:D
Don't do that just start putting some money aside for playoff tickets. For next year if not this.

DG creates a Culture Of Winning. That is what wins those humdrum games in October.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
vikesfan said:
Don't do that just start putting some money aside for playoff tickets. For next year if not this.

DG creates a Culture Of Winning. That is what wins those humdrum games in October.

I think we mostly agree with you. My skepticism on that quote was based soley on several years of hearing similar stuff about mac and his motivational speeches.

I think Green is going to help this team win because he knows how to coach a football team, not because of neat little quotes from a book.

If Mac couldn't win games on motivation, nobody can. What Green has that Mac apparently didn't is credibilty with NFL players, they believe he knows what he's doing and can get this team where it wants to be, but they have to work hard to get there. I'm not clear they believed that under Mac they just liked the guy and wanted to win for him but weren't sure how to do so.

CT Card Fan

Registered
Reaction score
I tend to agree with Russ, but one thing I had thought about posting for a while is how Green's motivation also seems to be a little different than Mac's. With Mac it was more of the if we all believe, if we all work together and share a foxhole together, then we can succeed sales pitch.

It seems like every time I see or hear Green somewhere, he talks about this team being a playoff team. I don't really recall that kind of talk from Mac. Mac was more hopeful, Green seems to be more matter of fact.

I'm really optimistic about the future of this team, especially down the road. This year, I'll be happy improvement and the playoffs would be quite a surprise. But, the more I hear Green say it, there are times when I almost become convinced OK, we're gonna be a playoff team. So, I can imagine that the players might start to believe that after some time also, especially if they are seeing different caoching and ways of doing things. And what the players believe is more impottant than what I believe.

I'm not chugging enough Kool-Aid yet to even think playoffs. I'm just saying that I like the approach that Green is taking. And, I certainly think that it helps that he has the respect of the players liek Russ said. They know he's done it before, so when he says things like that, they carry more weight.

vikesfan

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
At the same time DG calls out players. He expects every player to "carry their own water" There were lots of nice guy coaches and tough guy coaches who have failed in the NFL. I can bring in a kindergarten teacher to talk nice like Mac did. What does liking someone or hating someone have to do with winning NFL football games? Talking to players doesn't make a difference. Putting in a system part of which involves talking to players is what wins in the NFL. What I am trying to say DG is not one of those motivational guys he expects players to be highly self-motivated. You bring in talent. You make sure players are all rowing in the same direction. You make them understand they have to play hard smart and physical. They have to have discipline determination and dedication. These are not catch phrases this is a way of doing something. It is a way a team is built. One aspect of that is building an ideology for the team.