True Detective: Season 3 (HBO)

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
True Detective is probably dead

http://www.avclub.com/article/true-detective-probably-dead-237307

Slug back a couple shots of whiskey and pour out a Lone Star, because it looks like True Detective season three is DOA. That news comes courtesy of Vulture, which quotes an interview with new HBO programming head Casey Bloys saying that another season of the show is highly unlikely. And let The A.V. Club be the first to say, “thank God.” Even without the sky-high expectations set by the first season, season two would have been a struggle to finish, and we can only imagine how much of a slog season three would have been.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
funny, I heard season 1 was amazing and season 2 not so much. Sounds like I should watch season one and just put it down.

SO91

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Very much so. Season 1 absolutely nailed it. I gave up on season 2 a few episodes in.

I wanted to watch season 2, but never got around to it when it was current. I heard all the criticism and never picked it up again. A part of me is curious and might binge watch it one day when I don't have anything to do. Season 1 was amazing.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I wanted to watch season 2, but never got around to it when it was current. I heard all the criticism and never picked it up again. A part of me is curious and might binge watch it one day when I don't have anything to do. Season 1 was amazing.

All I have to say is this:

Colin Farrell is shot point-blank by a shotgun at the end of an early episode, and is clearly laying there getting ready to bleed out. I thought it was brilliant, because no one thought they'd kill a major actor, and only a completely incompetent writer or writing team would schmuck bait us that bad that he somehow lived in the next episode. Well, guess what?

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Surprised no one else has posted about season 3 yet. They just announced Stephen Dorff as one of the co-lead characters this season. been cast as one of the co-lead actors in season 3. Mahershala Ali was cast as one of the leads back in August. Here is a link to an article about his casting. I know he's not that big of a name actor but he did win best supporting actor for his role in Moonlight in 2017. They've also cast Carmen Ejogo as another lead. She was in Selma, Alien: Covenant, and Fantastic Beasts recently. She's been acting for a while.

Here is some info on this season though, and here is the link to where I got the info below...

Stephen Dorff has been tapped as a lead opposite Mahershala Ali and Carmen Ejogo in the third season of Nic Pizzolatto’s HBO crime anthology series True Detective.

Season 3 will tell the story of a macabre crime in the heart of the Ozarks and a mystery that deepens over decades and plays out in three separate time periods. Ali will play the lead role of Wayne Hays, a state police detective from northwest Arkansas.

Dorff will play Wayne’s partner Roland West, an Arkansas State Investigator who, along with his partner, has his life and career influenced over three decades by a baffling crime.

As with the breakout original installment of True Detective, Pizzolatto is the sole writer of the third season with the exception of Episode 4, which he co-wrote with David Milch. Jeremy Saulnier is the Season 3 director alongside Pizzolatto, who will make his directorial debut.

I'm excited for this shows return. I enjoyed season 2 quite a bit but I know I'm in the minority there. Season 2 had the impossible task of following that first season with Woody Harrelson and Mathew McConaughey delivering some of the best acting in a TV series that I've ever seen. The story for season 1 was good, it started really great but the conclusion was a little disappointing. I think the story throughout 2 stayed more consistent throughout, it was good but not great. Colin Farrell, Vince Vaughn, and Rachel McAdams all gave great performances in that season but the bar was set too high from the 1st season.

I hope season 3 delivers a really good story, that is the only way they'll come close to matching the reception the 1st season had. Pizzolatto is returning as the lead writer and David Milch signed on as a writer as well, he's the creator of Deadwood, so there's definitely solid writers behind this season. Since there has been so much time between seasons I hope they have a great story ready to go. I like the casting so far with Dorff and Ali, both are solid actors who should be able to deliver at the same level that Vaughn, Farrell, and McAdams.

You can view info on the main actors by clicking their names in the first paragraph, I linked their IMDB pages there.

Stout

Reaction score
This is happening? Dear lord, you'd think they had learned their lesson with the decroded piece of crap that was season 2. When they had to cajole the writer to do season 2, that was a big warning sign. Great mini-series that should never have continued--unless they were exploring that 'world' and those characters from season 1. Even so, it would have been a tough follow-up.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is happening? Dear lord, you'd think they had learned their lesson with the decroded piece of crap that was season 2. When they had to cajole the writer to do season 2, that was a big warning sign. Great mini-series that should never have continued--unless they were exploring that 'world' and those characters from season 1. Even so, it would have been a tough follow-up.

I've got no problem with making this an anthology series. I just think they rushed Season 2 after catching lightning in a bottle in Season 1. Having had a lot time to figure out another season, I'll give this one a shot. Brilliant Season 1, awful Season 2 at least gets me to watch the premiere of Season 3.

Stout

Reaction score
I've got no problem with making this an anthology series. I just think they rushed Season 2 after catching lightning in a bottle in Season 1. Having had a lot time to figure out another season, I'll give this one a shot. Brilliant Season 1, awful Season 2 at least gets me to watch the premiere of Season 3.

Oh, it wasn't just rushed. They had to do a lot of begging and pleading, and then throw a crap ton of money, at the writer to get him/her (can't remember) to even do season 2. No wonder it blew chunks. If it's the same writer, although he was brilliant with season 1, I'd have no faith in season 3. Clearly he/she saw it as a one-off.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
‘True Detective’ Season 3 loses director after just two episodes

http://thecelebritycafe.com/2018/04/true-detective-season-3-loses-director-after-just-two-episodes/

HBO’s True Detective doesn’t have a great track-record when it comes to keeping their directors, and the news of Jeremy Saulnier departing the show after completing the first two episodes definitely doesn’t help.

Saulnier, best known for directing the indie-horror films Blue Ruin and Green Room (which is a great movie, if you have the stomach for it), reportedly had to leave the project after scheduling conflicts arise. The True Detective season 3 production apparently was taking longer than expected, leaving Saulnier with no other option.

He is being replaced by Daniel Sackheim and series creator Nic Pizzolatto, who will divide up the remaining six episodes between themselves.

“Director and executive producer Jeremy Saulnier has completed the first two episodes of True Detective Season 3 and will be departing the production due to scheduling issues. Daniel Sackheim has come on board as a director and executive producer for the series alongside series creator and director Nic Pizzolatto,” HBO said in a statement via Variety.

Rivercard

Too much good stuff
Reaction score
How could they possibly even get Season 3 green lit when Season 2 was such an absolute crap fest? Shameless money grab part deux.

They are batting .500 so far. Worth another swing at the plate.

Last edited:

Stout

Reaction score
They are batting .500 so far. Worth another swing at the plate.

Not really. The show's creator didn't want to do a second season, had never planned on one, and actively resisted it, until they offered silly money. That showed in how awful it was. I don't see why we would expect better from a third season.

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score
Not really. The show's creator didn't want to do a second season, had never planned on one, and actively resisted it, until they offered silly money. That showed in how awful it was. I don't see why we would expect better from a third season.
Did you watch all of season 2? It started off pretty bad but by the end I thought it had rose above ‘awful’ to a solid ‘okay’.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Absolutely not. "Oh, hey, the star isn't REALLY dead! *wink wink, nudge nudge*" was enough for me.
Then don't watch. Sheesh. If you spent as much time watching good shows as you do complaining about the bad ones, you'd have a much more positive outlook. ;)

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll give it at least the first two episodes but this show has a short rope after season 2.

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score
Absolutely not. "Oh, hey, the star isn't REALLY dead! *wink wink, nudge nudge*" was enough for me.
So when you say the second season was an "absolute crap fest" and that there shouldn't be a third, you are basing this on a single scene (I agree it was a stupid scene) in a season that you only watched about 20% of? You can't really call something you didn't actually see an absolute crap fest.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
So when you say the second season was an "absolute crap fest" and that there shouldn't be a third, you are basing this on a single scene (I agree it was a stupid scene) in a season that you only watched about 20% of? You can't really call something you didn't actually see an absolute crap fest.
You don’t know Stout. :)

Stout

Reaction score
You don’t know Stout. :)

Ha! Well played, sir!

No, I'm basing it on several awful episodes, a majorly cheap bait-and-switch that destroyed all sense of stakes, and word from people I know and trust that said it only got worse from there. I have no need to watch 10 episodes when 2+ suck ass to know the season's no good :)

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The way they cracked the case in season 2 was just as absurd as when they made you think Colin Farrell's character had died.

Him recalling seeing an casual interaction that a witness had with someone else... an interaction that happened like... 6 months prior... while Colin Farrell's character was in the middle of a massive coke binge and was drinking straight from the bottle in every scene.

I could see season 3 being better because they've actually spent a couple years developing it, while I think they wrote season 2 on the back of a cocktail napkin.

Season 2 was still worth watching though. Farrell and Kitsch were surprisingly good in their roles and Vince Vaughn was delightfully terrible.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson