Trim the Fat

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Here is an excellent read about our unbelievable farm system and the major reason we need to dump our expensive scrubs now and work to get young, up and coming players at positions other than those occupied by the top prospects. The prospects of major league success for some of these kids seems unquestionable, and I think and hope that Byrnes realizes the best hope for this team will be in building around their loaded farm system. Uptons sounds like a beast as well, I mean the fastest player ever timed in the combine? That's scary speed. Without further adieu, the article:

Diamondbacks boast loaded system
Dayn Perry / Special to FOXSports.com
Posted: 1 day ago

The Arizona Diamondbacks have tallied 196 losses over the past two seasons, and they're coming off a year in which they finished with the worst run differential in the National League.

But while things have been grim in Phoenix, it's been high cotton down on the farm for the Diamondbacks organization. Right now, the Arizona system is blessed with a number of intriguing high-ceiling talents, and as a result, the team has an especially bright future. In fact, only the Angels can rival Arizona in terms of minor-league talent presently in the fold.

One thing to keep in mind with regard to D-Backs prospects is that their system, by virtue of its parks and leagues, is one of the most hitter-friendly around. This is less so now that Arizona has moved its Double-A affiliate from El Paso of the Texas League to Tennessee of the Southern League, but on balance it's still a system that favors offense. The upshot is that D-Backs hitting prospects tend to look a little better than they really are, whereas young hurlers in the system tend to look a little worse than they really are.

With those caveats laid out, let's take a look at the best of the D-Backs' system (in alphabetical order) …

Stephen Drew, SS
Acquired: 1st round, 2004, Florida State

Drew, younger brother of Dodgers' slugger J.D., finally signed after protracted negotiations. On offense, Drew has it all: patience, power, and an ability to hit for average. He played across three levels in 2005, and tore it up until he reached the Southern League, where he struggled badly. Still, flailing against Double-A pitching in your first season in the minors isn't a stinging indictment. And the secondary hitting skills were still somewhat on display. Drew also rebounded very nicely in the Arizona Fall League. The forthcoming presence of Justin Upton (see below) may force Drew to second or perhaps even center, but his bat will be middle-of-the-order quality no matter when he winds up on the diamond.

Carlos Gonzalez, OF
Acquired: Non-drafted free agent, 2002, Venezuela

Keep your eye on this one. The reigning MVP of the Midwest League put up a batting line of .307 AVG/.371 OBP/.489 SLG despite being only 19 years of age for the entirety of the season and playing half his games in a modest pitcher's park. He profiles as a Gold Glove-caliber right fielder at the highest level, and at the plate he has a quick bat through the zone and advanced pitch-recognition skills. Gonzalez needs to improve his walk rates, but the power potential is very, very real.

Conor Jackson, 1B
Acquired: 1st round, 2003, Cal-Berkeley

Jackson was arguably the best college hitter available in the 2003 draft (especially considering the park at Berkeley is a brutal environment for hitters), and he's done nothing to disappoint. Jackson's command of the strike zone is peerless (69 walks and only 32 strikeouts last season at Triple-A Tucson), and he hits for average. At the highest level, think Mark Grace in his prime plus 10 homers per season.Conor Jackson's appearance in this year's MLB Futures Game won't be the last time time we hear from him.

Garrett Mock, RHP
Acquired: 3rd round, 2004, University of Houston

Mock's repertoire is deep and potent: mid-90s fastball, curve, slider, cut fastball and a changeup that's coming along. Last season, Mock logged an ERA of 4.18 in the Cal League, but Lancaster is arguably the best hitter's park in the minors outside of Colorado Springs. However, the command was exceptional (160 strikeouts in 174 innings against only 33 walks). Expect a big step forward next season at Double-A Tennessee.

Dustin Nippert, RHP
Acquired: 15th round, 2002, West Virginia University

Nippert joins Pirates hurler Tom Gorzelanny on the short list for "most underrated pitcher in the minors." Nippert underwent reconstructive elbow surgery midway through the 2004 season, and while that is a source of concern, Tommy John surgery doesn't render pitchers as "unknown quantities" as was the case in years past. In theabsence of recurring elbow problems or a cascading shoulder injury—which has yet to happen — Nippert should be fine long-term. As for his stuff, Nippert throws a low-90s fastball, hammer curve and passable changeup. He has strikeout abilities in tandem groundball stuff, and that's a combo that lends itself to success.

Carlos Quentin, OF
Acquired: 1st round, 2003, Stanford

Quentin boasts a solid corner glove and smarts on the bases, and at the plate he shows power to all fields, patience and the ability to hit for average. He's spent his entire pro career in hitter-friendly parks, but that doesn't explain away the fact that over the last two seasons he's tallied 108 extra-base hits and 115 walks. Expect him to settle in as Arizona's right fielder for years to come.

Justin Upton, SS
Acquired: 1st round, 2005, Great Bridge HS (Chesapeake, VA)

Upton hasn't yet signed, but indications from within the organization are that he will. It's hard to imagine the Snakes letting a rare talent like this slip away. Upton boasts blazing speed (6.23 seconds in the 60-yard dash, the best time ever recorded by the MLB scouting service) and a cannon arm at short, and he's a more complete hitter than brother and top Devil Rays prospect B.J. was at the same age, and he's also more polished with the glove. He hits for high averages, controls the strike zone exceptionally well and will one day be good for tons of speed doubles and perhaps 20-25 homers per season. You're probably looking at the next elite major league shortstop, and the moment he signs he becomes a top-five overall prospect.

All of this is to say nothing of guys like Miguel Montero, Micah Owings, Chris Carter, Enrique Gonzalez and Sergio Santos.

Overall, baseball is going to fun again in Arizona very soon.

Dayn Perry is a frequent contributor to FOXSports.com and author of the forthcoming book, "Winners: How Good Baseball Teams Become Great Ones" (Available soon at Amazon.com).

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
Zing Zing!!!! :thewave:

The most exciting write up is Upton's....And it sounds like drew is going to be Mickey Mantle

peterman

Veteran
Reaction score
man i am so excited about upton it almost makes me cry this guy is gonna be an amazing player for years too come

The Commish

youknowhatimsayin?
Reaction score
peterman said:
man i am so excited about upton it almost makes me cry this guy is gonna be an amazing player for years too come

I just want him signed! When is the next available chance to sign him? Next summer?

The Commish

youknowhatimsayin?
Reaction score
Oh yeah, this finally has given me hope again for this team. I hope Nippert and Mock pan out, we really need pitching and soon.

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
RedStripe27 said:
Oh yeah, this finally has given me hope again for this team. I hope Nippert and Mock pan out, we really need pitching and soon.

Im getting excited again too...hopefully the apathy on this side of the board from last season will dissapate once we can start seeing these "yutes" produce....

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
RedStripe27 said:
I just want him signed! When is the next available chance to sign him? Next summer?
We have from now until June to sign Upton.

The Commish

youknowhatimsayin?
Reaction score
Arizona's Finest said:
Im getting excited again too...hopefully the apathy on this side of the board from last season will dissapate once we can start seeing these "yutes" produce....

Haha what's a "yute"? Oh I am sorry, the two yooooouths. My Cousin Vinny - great movie.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NoObstacles92