Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Trainwreck

Release Date: July 17, 2015
Studio: Universal Pictures
Director: Judd Apatow
MPAA Rating: R (for strong sexual content, nudity, language and some drug use)
Screenwriters: Judd Apatow, Amy Schumer
Genre: Comedy

Starring: Amy Schumer, Bill Hader, Brie Larson, Mike Birbiglia, Colin Quinn, Tilda Swinton, Ezra Miller, John Cena, Vanessa Bayer, Jon Glaser, LeBron James, Method Man

Plot Summary: Schumer also wrote the script which is inspired from some of her real-life experiences as she plays a commitment-averse woman trying to get past her self-sabotaging ways.

You must be registered for see images attach

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did not enjoy this at all. And as much as I hate LeBron, he was one of the few highlights, him and Colin Quinn and John Cena.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought it had funny parts.

That is the problem, with Judd Apatow, Amy Schumer and Bill Hader, "it had some funny parts" shouldn't be the best review it gets.

Last edited:

Iceman

Administrator
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Previews make it look pretty funny. Was it just over the top or just not that funny?

Rivercard

Too much good stuff
Reaction score
That is the problem, with Judd Apatow, Amy Schumer and Bill Hader, "it had some funny parts" should be the best review it gets.

Did you mean to type "shouldn't", or are just not a Schumer/Hader/Apatow fan to begin with?

Big Deal

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I thought is was a grim chick flick and had to go with my wife but I actually laughed a lot. The movie as a whole can get boring but there are some hilarious parts.

Iceman

Administrator
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Has anyone seen any schumer live in stand up?

Matt L

formerly known as mattyboy
Reaction score
That is the problem, with Judd Apatow, Amy Schumer and Bill Hader, "it had some funny parts" shouldn't be the best review it gets.

I don't think Apatow movies are that funny. I found it entertaining and I thought it was funny overall. I just felt like it settled for typical romantic comedy when there was an opportunity to really be different. That said, I think Schumer and Hader are both really funny.

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Has anyone seen any schumer live in stand up?

I have seen her live. She kills me.

I thought this movie was funny. I agree with some of the critiques on here but not to such an extent. I thought there were parts of this movie that didn't really work, but overall it was really funny and I loved the whole relationship between Hader and Amy. I thought it was good. I would definitely recommend it because despite its flaws, I thought there were some hilarious moments that made it all worth it.

Also, everyone in the sports forum knows how much I dislike Lebron, like I am a proud card carrying member of the LBJHaters, but that being said, he was pretty funny in this movie. I was suprised and annoyed, damnit! :p

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
I thought she was funny on Jimmy fallen the other day when she said she used Katie Couric's phone at a dinner they were together at to text Katie's new husband and she said she texted "I want anal tonight". The next thing she knew is that Katie was leaving the dinner early with her husband. Was cracking up laughing at that.

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
Good not great. Getting some heat that it went from a girl power movie to a rom-com, like it is bad that Bill Hader's character "changed" her or whatever.

I dunno. I guess character arcs are anti-feminist now.

I thought it was funny, but not the life-changing experience that the reviews made it out to be. I'd been looking forward to this movie for months and I felt a little letdown.

Still, it is funnier than most the female-centric comedies we ever get (I'm looking at you Melissa McCarthy).

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Good not great. Getting some heat that it went from a girl power movie to a rom-com, like it is bad that Bill Hader's character "changed" her or whatever.

I dunno. I guess character arcs are anti-feminist now.

I thought it was funny, but not the life-changing experience that the reviews made it out to be. I'd been looking forward to this movie for months and I felt a little letdown.

Still, it is funnier than most the female-centric comedies we ever get (I'm looking at you Melissa McCarthy).

Hollywood doesn't have a clue what real feminism is anyways. It's like Meryl's new "feminist" movie called; Women can abandon their families too.

I used to work with this guy who really got it, and helped me get it. He said; too many people define "feminism" As women becoming more like men, and that's not right, that is not what it's about.

-Spoiler alert-
I think that was the point of this movie, the positive changes in her life made her stronger when she had always feared the opposite. I mean seriously, what is the argument here by these people supposedly going to bat for feminism? Just because she realized that she did in fact want to be loved, that doesn't make her weak or less of a Woman anymore than her being a drunk made her a feminist. Seriously, she was a drunk, abused drugs, was promiscuous, unfaithful, had a job with a terrible company and didn't have really any meaningful relationships in her life,,, then she saw how all of that left her father bitter and a lone until he died, so she got her life together, so that makes her less of a strong woman? That is freaking ridiculous and I think any true feminist would probably be offended by that very notion.

We have some awesome, badass women who post on here. I would love to hear their take.

Last edited:

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
Here is one of the articles I was referencing in my little rant above. Two days later, it still irritates me.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/helen...e-broken-promise-of-trainwreck_b_7822676.html

Am I wrong to see Apatow's hand in Schumer's debut feature, in which an iconoclastic heroine initially surprises and delights us, only to renege on the promise of her character and betray everything that made her so enjoyable?

Sex + Drugs + Alcohol + Soulless Job (does not =) Empowerment. Fast-forward 25-30 years ahead in Amy's life and see how enjoyable she still is.

SPOILERS AHEAD:

Amy's character was clearly running scared from anything that gave her meaning in this world because she was afraid to lose it. She emulated her father, who served as a great look at her future if she kept going down that road: alone, broken, resented, and pitied. Her "aha" moment wasn't about a man changing her. It was about her rejecting her father's path and finally going for what would make her truly happy. That is empowerment, even if the thing that made her happy was a life with a (gasp) man!

This whole "girls can do anything boys can do" brand of feminism is so lame. It misses the point. The writer hates that Amy changed for her man? How many romantic comedies are based on the premise that a "good girl" tames a "bad boy"? So maybe in that regard, Trainwreck did validate the "girls can do anything boys can do" argument. Amy was able to change her mind, just like boys are allowed to do in other romance movies. Yay.

Second rant over.

Last edited:

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Here is one of the articles I was referencing in my little rant above. Two days later, it still irritates me.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/helen...e-broken-promise-of-trainwreck_b_7822676.html

Sex + Drugs + Alcohol + Soulless Job (does not =) Empowerment. Fast-forward 25-30 years ahead in Amy's life and see how enjoyable she still is.

SPOILERS AHEAD:

Amy's character was clearly running scared from anything that gave her meaning in this world because she was afraid to lose it. She emulated her father, who served as a great look at her future if she kept going down that road: alone, broken, resented, and pitied. Her "aha" moment wasn't about a man changing her. It was about her rejecting her father's path and finally going for what would make her truly happy. That is empowerment, even if the thing that made her happy was a life with a (gasp) man!

This whole "girls can do anything boys can do" brand of feminism is so lame. It misses the point. The writer hates that Amy changed for her man? How many romantic comedies are based on the premise that a "good girl" tames a "bad boy"? So maybe in that regard, Trainwreck did validate the "girls can do anything boys can do" argument. Amy was able to change her mind, just like boys are allowed to do in other romance movies. Yay.

Second rant over.

Agreed completely.

The author of that article cant see anything past the very shallow surface. The top comment on that article is classic. "You are proof that nobody hates women more than women."

Oh wait but I forgot any girl who loves a man is pathetic and weak and GOD FORBID they get married and have kids, oh man she is sooooo not a feminist. Got it.

She didn't change for her man, she changed for herself so she could be happy. Did she also make amends with her sister for her man? Making amends with your sister is sooooo not feminist. Then again her sister had already been enslaved by an evil man who had implanted his demon seed in her, so she was already a traitor to women anyways so who cares about her.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought it was pretty solid. Schumer is pretty damn funny, thought the hype about LeBron's performance was pretty overblown. Overall, a nice springboard for Schumer and a good comeback vehicle for Apatow who seriously missed the mark with This Is 40 and the second half of Funny People.

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hollywood doesn't have a clue what real feminism is anyways. It's like Meryl's new "feminist" movie called; Women can abandon their families too.

I used to work with this guy who really got it, and helped me get it. He said; too many people define "feminism" As women becoming more like men, and that's not right, that is not what it's about.

-Spoiler alert-
I think that was the point of this movie, the positive changes in her life made her stronger when she had always feared the opposite. I mean seriously, what is the argument here by these people supposedly going to bat for feminism? Just because she realized that she did in fact want to be loved, that doesn't make her weak or less of a Woman anymore than her being a drunk made her a feminist. Seriously, she was a drunk, abused drugs, was promiscuous, unfaithful, had a job with a terrible company and didn't have really any meaningful relationships in her life,,, then she saw how all of that left her father bitter and a lone until he died, so she got her life together, so that makes her less of a strong woman? That is freaking ridiculous and I think any true feminist would probably be offended by that very notion.

We have some awesome, badass women who post on here. I would love to hear their take.

Word, word, word, Bert! Nailed it with your last post, too.

I really liked this movie. It was a bit slow at times but it really resonated with me. Sometimes that fear of losing something great can cause one to not even go for it to begin with. Just because she changed her ways for the better didn't make her less of a woman or that she changed for a man. She finally acknowledged her fear.

Funny scenes, particularly when she had those nodes on her body and was running on the treadmill. I was CACKLING at that scene with the picture on the screen.

I will definitely be buying this when it's out on blu-ray.

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
What, people are complaining about her changing her life to the better? How stupid. It was a decent movie. I thought it was funny and entertainment.

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My girlfriend and I loved this movie.

It isn't a classic by any means, but a funny, irreverent look at her life.

Loved Dave Attell's scenes.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I gave it a try, because I hadn't seen Schumer in anything before. I mean, I guess she was okay, but she was working with some really crap writing. It made me militantly hate one of the main characters, just like in that one Jonah Hill movie where the fat kid acts like a douche the whole movie, yet still gets the girl. She acts like a complete and utter asshat and, all of a sudden, for no apparent reason, the doctor digs her. So utterly unbelievable.

The writer NEEDED him to fall for her, so, voila! He falls for her. I had to cut it off right there, because, DAMN, that's some awful writing. Authorial need to the max!

So, I'm not sure what else she's been in, but I'll have to give Schumer a try in something else. I don't think the script gave her much to work with.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard