Trade for Roquan Smith NOW

JohnnyCakes

Miserables
Reaction score
Roquan Smith has officially demanded a trade out of Chicago ( he represents himself ) this morning.

I think his contract should be in the 95 million range that Warner got from the whiners.

Kid is a tackle machine and immediately becomes a leader on the defense.

Make the call and get this done

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score

For the PFF guys, he's just a middling defender. 67 Rating.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don’t mind the player, but dumping additional resources into the off ball linebacker position is utter madness.

Sunk cost fallacy. It's how we ended up with Simmons over Cee Dee Lamb. Collins still isn't ready to lead the defense. Simmons still doesn't have a position and really isn't even playing middle linebacker anymore.

Keim can't draft for crap but he can pull off some trades.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Sunk cost fallacy. It's how we ended up with Simmons over Cee Dee Lamb. Collins still isn't ready to lead the defense. Simmons still doesn't have a position and really isn't even playing middle linebacker anymore.

We need to stop devoting outsized resources to non-premium positions. OT? Sure! Rush end? Pay up! Shut down corner? Let's do it.

I'm ok with trading for needs, but let's focus on WHERE we're doing it.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Cee Dee Lamb would probably have turned out to be another Kirk (at best) on this team.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score

I know, I thought about that. I guess the question is that will upgrading off-ball linebacker really make that much of a difference this season? I don't think that Simmons and Collins are Andy Isabella — I think they end up being B+ players who were overdrafted. Hasson Reddick types.

The question is whether upgrading one ILB from B+ to A(ish) is going to be worth the draft capital and players, plus the cap hold when we already have the most expensive group of ILBs in the league.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

So true. He should adopt the philosophy of James Jones.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Lol

Fans: We drafted another first round linebacker?!

Also fans: Send a 1st for a linebacker

Smith isn't even that good. He's massively overrated.

DaHilg

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Lol

Fans: We drafted another first round linebacker?!

Also fans: Send a 1st for a linebacker

Smith isn't even that good. He's massively overrated.
Ya.. All Pro, totally overrated.. SMH.

Kid is a stud, sideline to sideline. Solid pass pro for an LB and can get to QB when asked. I honestly think this is the OLB we had hoped Simmons would become - just seems like the mentals of the game just may not be there for Simmons at this position. He would make our D instantly a lot better.

Definitely not interested in pouring more money/resources into the position though. Would have to hope Chicago valued Simmons highly enough to not have to allocate too many more resources..extremely doubtful.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
I know, I thought about that. I guess the question is that will upgrading off-ball linebacker really make that much of a difference this season? I don't think that Simmons and Collins are Andy Isabella — I think they end up being B+ players who were overdrafted. Hasson Reddick types.

The question is whether upgrading one ILB from B+ to A(ish) is going to be worth the draft capital and players, plus the cap hold when we already have the most expensive group of ILBs in the league.
The only thing which would make sense is to trade for Smith for either Collins or Simmons, but I would rather hold onto to Simmons and Collins. I know this might sound foolhardy, but I am still enamored with their physical talent and potential ability... and we drafted them

Last edited:

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
The only thing which would make sense is to trade for Smith for either Collins or Simmons, but I would rather hold onto to Simmons and Collins. I know that might sound foolhardy, but I am still enamored with their physical talent and potential ability... and we drafted them
I don't see that happening. If we did, then it would be a sure sign that we had come to grips that we erred in drafting whoever it is that we send in the trade. IMO, it would more likely be Simmons than Collins. But again, do not see it happening. We've invested too much in creating a defense where Simmons is being counted on for his overall athleticism.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

Simmons was never going to line up as the middle linebacker, and if you thought so, I can understand your disappointment.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Simmons was never going to line up as the middle linebacker, and if you thought so, I can understand your disappointment.

He has already lined up at MLB for two seasons.

I sincerely don't get the constant contrariness here

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Ya.. All Pro, totally overrated.. SMH.

Kid is a stud, sideline to sideline. Solid pass pro for an LB and can get to QB when asked. I honestly think this is the OLB we had hoped Simmons would become - just seems like the mentals of the game just may not be there for Simmons at this position. He would make our D instantly a lot better.

Definitely not interested in pouring more money/resources into the position though. Would have to hope Chicago valued Simmons highly enough to not have to allocate too many more resources..extremely doubtful.

He was 2nd team all pro.

He had a great rookie year, a very good first couple of years in an elite defense under a great DC. Since then not so much.

He's a tackle stat monster for sure. Like Jordan Hicks. But I don't think he's been great the last 2 years.

Like them or not PFF really doesn't rate him. Giving him only a 47 grade last year.

Now I know people want to say PFF sucks. But they rate Smith the exact same way they rate Darius Leonard, Fred Warner etc

NashDishesDimes

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Yeah no, drafted two LBs with first rounders, need to make those work. Would feel like the WR position where cards draft two 2nd rounders (isabella and rondale) and then blow a first rounder on hollywood. Not to mention our guys on rookie deals

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Middle linebacker is a 4-3 designation, not 3-4. The latter are designated inside linebackers.

If suggesting accuracy is contrariness, then I'm guilty.

Me picturing you posting that.

Attachments

• DpQ9YJl.png
    DpQ9YJl.png
    20.8 KB · Views: 4

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Giving up assets for an ILB who you then have to pay a massive contract is peak stupidity. Just like drafting ILBs back to back years was. Spend money and resources on players at premium positions.
Apparently the Rams have some kind of matrix or algorithm that helps them determine what veterans are worth dismantling a draft class to acquire and which ones aren't.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
G-PA