Tractor On the Horizon?

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
I don't really think defending Shaquille O'Neal should be a big concern. The Suns will play the Heat only twice per season, and O'Neal has three years left in the league at the most.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We've got a boatload of vets now, and a solid 8-man rotation.

Traylor doesn't interest me. If he didn't produce for the Cavs last year, I can't see him produce for us. I am all for this.

1. Go all out for Hunter. Wine and dine him, and see if we can convince him to sign for the lle.

2. Wait for a player to be released with the "oops exception." Maybe we could get a Brian Grant or a Raef LaFrentz. Both would be better than Traylor.

3. Wait and scour the summer league teams (including our own). Sign the big man with the most potential. We would have a good chance of getting one of the better players because we could put him in the top 9 of our rotation. A young talented rook FA would be a fun story to follow this season.

Remember that we do have Jake. He could play a minute or two in a pinch. Is Traylor appreciably better than Jake? I don't see it.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
2. Wait for a player to be released with the "oops exception." Maybe we could get a Brian Grant or a Raef LaFrentz.

Hmm, I think LaFrentz is a real longshot for the oops exception, since Ainge allegedly really wanted him when he traded Walker away and Boston's salary situation really isn't that bad. But if he did somehow become available, I think he'd be a great pickup.

OP
OP
George O'Brien

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
elindholm said:
2. Wait for a player to be released with the "oops exception." Maybe we could get a Brian Grant or a Raef LaFrentz.

Hmm, I think LaFrentz is a real longshot for the oops exception, since Ainge allegedly really wanted him when he traded Walker away and Boston's salary situation really isn't that bad. But if he did somehow become available, I think he'd be a great pickup.

I agree, although I admit I didn't see Raef LaFrentz play after returning from his injury. He was a nice role player when with the Mavs. My question is whether he would come to a team where he wouldn't start?

BTW, Traylor was pretty effective with the Cavs last season and is a lot tougher than Jake. As for getting Pachulia, I brough his name up several weeks ago. He looked pretty good against the Suns. That fact that I can't imagine a scenerio whereby the Suns can get him is not a knock on his potential.

Treesquid PhD

Pardon my Engrish
Reaction score
One of the best ways to defend or better yet slow down Shaquille O'Neal is to put a big body out there who can deny him position. Of course this isn't going to work a good part of the time, and there are few players strong enough to do it. Jahidi White was relatively good at it. I even saw Oliver Miller do a good job of denying Shaq prime position a time or two.

Shaquille O'Neal is just not effective 10-15 feet from the basket. in fact that might really be the only way to defend him other than with double teams or been lucky enough to have a world-class defensive big man.

How is ZaZa's defense? Is it at least adequate for his size? If not, he's probably not worth much to this team.

Joe Mama

Instead of wasting our time on fantasies or stiffs that we have had on our team before and potential new stiffs who will add nothing but salary, let's just put it on Amare and JJ's shoulders and accept the fact that we need to build around them until the center fairy brings us a Shaq of our own.

I am all for role players at this point we have a center his name is Amare.

Last edited:

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Treesquid said:
Instead of wasting our time on fantasies or stiffs that we have had on our team before and potential new stiffs who will add nothing but salary, let's just put it on Amare and JJ's shoulders and accept the fact that we need to build around them until the center fairy brings us a Shaq of our own.

I am all for role players at this point we have a center his name is Amare.

I thought we were talking about someone to round out the bench. I don't think anyone is "wasting time on fantasies or stiffs" to play a major role of the team. We were talking about someone who would average 5-15 minutes per game. We were talking about more role players.

Joe Mama

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
I think if we could somehow sign both Hunter & Traylor we wouls be sittin good. Hunter is long & Traylor adds the beef.

Joel Przybilla would be a perfect fit but I dont know if that is realistic.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
BEERZ said:
Joel Przybilla would be a perfect fit but I dont know if that is realistic.

If the Suns do not want to do a sign and trade which I wanted to explore with players like Pachulia and Gadzuric, then I think there is an excellent chance (as there is almost every year) of players falling through the cracks like a Hunter or Przybilla.

If my memory serves me correctly, Przybilla was signed by Portland to a contract not that much larger given than Hunter. Maybe someone can remember the details or has time to look it up. Anyway Przybilla's value was not that high, something like the LLE.

Phoenix already has more than enough stars on this team to win a championship. IMO they only need role players to come off the bench that can actually play under D'Antonni's system at the 4/5 (hopefully a Hunter/Przybilla type player and another big man) but also a proven role backup PG like Armstrong (or whoever that will accept the minimum and come off the bench). The Suns need insurance until Leandro proves he can play the point consistently.

The reason I pushed on Pachulia (if he indeed he was going to moved as a RFA) is that I believe he is an upcoming center/forward that will have a nice career and that not only can he play now but he could blossom into perhaps our center of the future.

Last edited:

F-Dog

lurker
Reaction score
Mainstreet said:
IMO they only need role players to come off the bench that can actually play under D'Antonni's system at the 4/5 (hopefully a Hunter/Przybilla type player and another big man)
So, what you're looking for is another Hunter or Przybilla--in other words, a "bust" center coming off his rookie contract, right?

"Now checking into the game, for your Phoenix Suns:"

You must be registered for see images attach

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would take Diop for the minimum in a heartbeat. Despite his size he actually runs very well.

Joe

F-Dog

lurker
Reaction score
Joe Mama said:
I would take Diop for the minimum in a heartbeat. Despite his size he actually runs very well.

Joe

Yeah, I'm not disparaging Diop, I'm just saying that he's the guy you're looking for if you're playing the Hunter/Przybilla card.

http://www.nbadraft.net/2001.htm

You know who else came out of the 2001 draft (besides Diop, that is)? Loren Woods. :thumbup:

Seriously, though, maybe the Suns can trade with the Spurs for the rights to Robertas Javtokas or something...

OP
OP
George O'Brien

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Diop has a reputation for being extremely lazy. There is little evidence he's improved at all since joining the Cavs.

Yes Hunter showed little with Orlando, but he did have his moments. He started most of the time under Doc Rivers at the start of 2003-04 and had some good games. But when the team went into a nose dive, Hunter went to the bench and really never had much of a chance to get off it (not that he showed he deserved to).

What made Hunter interesting to the Suns was that even when he did nothing else, he could block shots. That wasn't enough for the undermanned Orlando team that ended up playing all forwards to get some more offense to suppport T-Mac. Didn't help.

Hunter did improve this season, but mostly he joined a team where all he had to do was play better than Jake to get minutes. His rebounding remained very weak, his defense inconsistent, and his offense based entirely on playing with an MVP point guard. Unless he greatly improves his playing, Hunter looks more likely to flop than break out next season with another team. Yet I'm reconciled to the fact that some idiot is going to give Hunter $3 million.

OP
OP
George O'Brien

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
One guy who may slip through the cracks is Zeljko Rebraca. He's actually played OK in the brief periods he's been healthy. I don't have any information on his health status.

Last year he signed a one year deal with the Clippers for $2.5 million.

Zeljko Rebraca
Los Angeles Clippers
Position: C
Height: 7-0 Weight: 265
Player file | Team stats

2004-05 Statistics
PPG 5.8
RPG 3.2
APG .4
SPG .22
BPG .69
FG% .568
FT% .859
3P% .000
MPG 16.0

He is typical of Euro big men in that he is much better offensively than defensively although HoopsHype says he is OK defending the post. His rebounding numbers are not very impressive, but he has played along side some very strong rebounders in his career.

KingLouieLouie

Going Old School!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
George O'Brien said:
One guy who may slip through the cracks is Zeljko Rebraca. He's actually played OK in the brief periods he's been healthy. I don't have any information on his health status.

Last year he signed a one year deal with the Clippers for $2.5 million.

Zeljko Rebraca
Los Angeles Clippers
Position: C
Height: 7-0 Weight: 265
Player file | Team stats

2004-05 Statistics
PPG 5.8
RPG 3.2
APG .4
SPG .22
BPG .69
FG% .568
FT% .859
3P% .000
MPG 16.0

He is typical of Euro big men in that he is much better offensively than defensively although HoopsHype says he is OK defending the post. His rebounding numbers are not very impressive, but he has played along side some very strong rebounders in his career.

No... relatively older, had an accelerated heartbeat a cpl seasons ago, plays soft for his weight, and similar to Zarko he never regained whatever tenacity he had after suffering from a rather brutal injury (in his case he had a fractured orbital bone just like JJ)....

One cant always place too much stock entirely into stats (which can be skewed because he may be playing in a different role he'd be in on another team in sense he may be asked to do something he doesnt specialize in or could be a higher or lower option in an area that he wouldnt be elsewhere)....

Anyways... a BIG definite no on Rebraca......

Edit: I'm still intrigued about just taking a flyer out on Lonnie Jones since he's always specialized on shot-blocking and has been prolific in that area at all the levels he's played... Again, the reason why he hasnt lasted in the NBA is that he lacks offensively, but with the Suns of course that would be moot....

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
F-Dog

So, what you're looking for is another Hunter or Przybilla--in other words, a "bust" center coming off his rookie contract, right?

I think you should read my previous post again. Anyone who has read my posts know that I would prefer the Suns do a sign and trade for a young upcoming center (using Voshkuhl and a first round pick or two to get it done). I have really pushed on getting Pachulia to a fault, with Gadzuric as another possibility (but I'm open to better suggestions).

I think your putting Hunter and Przybilla in the "bust" catergory as premature. The Suns could have really used Przybilla against San Antonio last season and I think Hunter played very well for a young player especially in regards to defending and blocking shots.

However, if the Suns do not go the sign and trade route, do you really think they are going to do much better than getting a player like Hunter or Przybilla? I would put Diop into the same category of a young project center as Hunter, except I like Hunter more.

Last edited:

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mainstreet said:
I think you should read my previous post again. Anyone who has read my posts know that I would prefer the Suns do a sign and trade for a young upcoming center (using Voshkuhl and a first round pick or two to get it done). I have really pushed on getting Pachulia to a fault, with Gadzuric as another possibility (but I'm open to better suggestions).

I think your putting Hunter and Przybilla in the "bust" catergory as premature. The Suns could have really used Przybilla against San Antonio last season and I think Hunter played very well for a young player especially in regards to defending and blocking shots.

However, if the Suns do not go the sign and trade route, do you really think they are going to do much better than getting a player like Hunter or Przybilla? I would put Diop into the same category of a young project center as Hunter, except I like Hunter more.

I'm sure F-dog meant that Hunter and Przybilla were busts in their first few years (on their rookie contracts). Diop would fit into that category.

I have never heard that Diop had a lazy reputation, but it's not like I've focused a lot of my attention on his young career. I thought the bigger problem for him was foot injuries and then simply not playing very well last year. I thought I remembered him having a decent game or two when I was watching the Cavaliers, but as I searched through last season's game log for the Cavaliers I couldn't find even one game where he put up numbers to get excited about.

Still, as the 14th player on the team why not give him a shot?

Joe Mama

sunsfn

Reaction score
Przybilla signed a contract for 2 years.

The Clippers said they are going to sign Zeljko Rebraca to a new contract and have made it a priority. (for what that is worth?)

I would like to see the suns at least bring in Diop and give him a look.

OP
OP
George O'Brien

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I have a question. Do the Suns owe any future picks in the KT deal? After reading 2000 posts, I've lost track of what was and wasn't included in the deal.

At one point it was reported that a protected first was included, but I'm not sure any more. If there is a protected first, then the Suns won't be able to trade any firsts until after that has been cleared. Otherwise, perhaps using a first in a trade MIGHT be worth considering.

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
George O'Brien said:
I have a question. Do the Suns owe any future picks in the KT deal?

No. The future first rounder was changed to a 1st rounder this year so we do not owe them anything else

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe Drobnjak could be our answer as a backup C/PF as his option was not picked up by the Hawks. The Suns showed some interest in trying to acquire him a few years back. He really played well when he was in Seattle but after he went to the Clippers, he seemed to never be the same player.

He used to be an almost prototype European player who could shoot from the outside and with that big body he could also go inside and rebound. I'm just not sure what happened to his game after he left Seattle. I know a few years back, I thought he could be our answer at center or PF. He is defiinitely worth a look as coach D'Antonni may understand his game better than others. As I recall he used to love to play from the top of the key and was an excellent shooter from there. His defense was I believe the weakest part of his game.

Anyway, I would love for the Suns to take a strong look at him.

OP
OP
George O'Brien

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Drobnjak averaged .1683 rebounds per minute. Jake averaged .25.

I get down on Hunter because he averages less than .22 rebounds per game. Why on earth would someone who averages less than many guards be a plus? :thud:

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does anyone else find it a pain in the butt that ESPN has made it very difficult to find the player page for all of the unrestricted free agents?

A few days ago I think I said I wouldn't want him for the minimum. I still wouldn't be upset if they got him for the minimum, but there are other players I would rather have.

Joe Mama

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
George O'Brien said:
Drobnjak averaged .1683 rebounds per minute. Jake averaged .25.

I get down on Hunter because he averages less than .22 rebounds per game. Why on earth would someone who averages less than many guards be a plus? :thud:

Espn gives his 2004-2005 stats as follows:

PPG 8.4
RPG 3.4
BPG 0.3

That's good enough for me. He also has a good outside shot from the top of the key that can spread the floor for Amare.

If the Suns cannot resign Hunter and D'Antonni will not play Voshkuhl the Suns need some depth at center in a serious way. If he can be had for the vet minimum to fill out the Suns roster, why not?

It's not like the the Suns have the pick of litter in regards to picking up some backup depth for the center position. At worst, he could just ride the bench.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard