Tough Decision (Defense + STs)

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
NT

* Rodney Gunter---I think he is better suited to play 34DE. His upside is enormous. At times he looks to me like he could develop into a Reggie White type of player, once he gets a little stronger and fundamentally sound.

* Xavier Williams---NT is the right spot for him and with a productive off-season he could make the roster and the DL rotation.

* Corey Peters---was looking like the kind of disruptive, penetrating NT we have lacked before his injury. Hopefully he can return to that form and stay healthy.

* Red Bryant---made a solid contribution when the team needed to stuff the run. Might be worth another 1 year prove it contract.

DE

* Calais Campbell---after a Pro Bowl type string of games, his play tailed off down the stretch due to fatigue and constant double teams. Steve Keim has to work a new deal with him. There is no way the team can let him count $15M versus the cap this season.

* Frostee Rucker---there is no question that when he is healthy and playing aggressively the entire defense becomes more dynamic. However, injuries and late season fatigue made him a non-factor down the stretch. This year he would probably be better off rotating in, rather than starting. I like Gunter to start at LDE with Rucker, Stinson and Mauro rotating in at the DT/DE spots. Rucker is the best of the three in pass rushing.

* Ed Stinson---showed some flashes down the stretch. He looks healthier and stronger now and has started to show so lateral quickness. He still needs to develop a much more consistent pass rush.

* Josh Mauro---some games he just pops off the film, but he's been hampered by injuries. This could be a big year for him. He's made to order as a 34DE and it would be great of he could develop as a pass rusher from inside and as a DE in the 4 man rush.

* Cory Redding---sure was Johnny on the Spot for taking turnovers to the house (or close to the house). He provides good leadership. But, his overall play was not anything special. In fact, he often looked sluggish and out of shape. At $4M this year, it would not be surprising to see the team ask for a pay cut or release him. He's been mulling retirement, so that may be a factor as well.

* Draft---Pass Rushing DEs---Shaq Lawson (6-3, 270, Clemson), Jonathan Bullard (6-3, 283, Florida), Emmanuel Ogbah (6-3, 275, Oklahoma St.), Kevin Dodd (6-4, 275, Clemson), Shilique Calhoun (6-5, 252, Michigan St.), Carl Nassib (6-7, 273, Penn St.)

ILB

* Deone Bucannon---it's a new age in the NFL where smaller but faster tackling machines are playing 34WILB. Bucannon has started to flourish in that role. He is starting to let his instincts take over and he is very good at shooting the gaps, chasing plays to the sideline and covering RBs. He is also a key chess piece in spying mobile QBs.

* Kevin Minter---he came into this season on a mission and in my opinion grew stronger as the year progressed. Part of the reason was that the coaches started taking him out on sure passing downs. Minter's role is to be rugged and reliable versus the run and for those purposed he has made strong strides. He is asserting himself as a physical player and now he needs to find a way to shed blockers quicker and sift through traffic more adeptly.

* Sean Weatherspoon---was there even one play this year where Weatherspoon made you sit up and say, yeah, that's the player we were hoping we'd get? If so, I cannot remember it. Even when given a role down the stretch as a nickel LB, he did nothing to stand out. Thus, it would be surprising to see SK show interest in re-signing him.

* Alani Fua---now this guy is very intriguing because of his length, speed and athleticism. He played well on STs and he showed some promise in pass coverage. I could see him starting as the WOLB if the Cardinals sign a pass rushing DE for the 4 man rush who is too big to play OLB.

* Gabe Martin---good to see him make the roster at the end of the year. It should be interesting to see what kind of player he is this year after a strong off-season. He has good vision, range and athleticism.

* Kenny Demens---was one of the best STs players before getting injured. He's a solid tackler.

OLB

* Markus Golden---there is much to be excited about with Golden. In fact, one could argue that he was one of the most productive OLBers to come out of last year's draft. he brings a much need attack mentality. He can also rush the edge as a DE in a 4 man rush. His game is built of whistle to whistle persistence. As his pass rushing techniques improve and diversify he could become an 8-10 sack rusher.

* Alex Okafor---BA's admonishing to the players during bye weeks and time off is "don;t be that guy." Well, Okafor, after struggling through a sup-par season, was that guy during the playoff bye week and now finds himself in the coaches' dog house. Some are speculating that his days as a Cardinal are done, but Okafor heads into a contract year with much to prove and thus it would be wise (unless there are deeper concerns) for the team to see how well he can rebound.

* Dwight Freeney---credit BA and SK for making the move to sign Freeney who instantly upgraded the team's subpar pass rush. It would be a real plus to have him back, if he is not set on retiring. I am not a big fan of the sign you after training camp strategy, as some are suggesting the Cardinals should do with him. The Cardinals need all the team building they can get---no exceptions. Plus, having Freeney as mentor to the all the young pass rushers on the roster is a major asset and should be viewed as such. In many ways I believe he is the top priority in-house UFA. To have him as strictly a pass rusher on passing downs would be fabulous.

* Kareem Martin---while is not an OLB, he showed some flashes as a rush DE. Now he needs to get more explosive in the hands and lower body and more slippery through improved techniques.

* Shaq Riddick---the coaches seem keen on his size and speed, but it is curious that they never gave him any playing time.

* Zach Wagenmann---sidelined by a foot injury this year, Wags should be at top strength and ready to make a serious roster push this year. His ability to rush the passer from the edge is exactly what the team needs right now.

* Mike Reilly---he is a high-motor rusher who lacks ideal arm length. However, he compensates for that with good feet and sneaky upper body strength.

* UFA Pass Rushers---Von Miller (6-3, 250, 26, Broncos), Tamba Hali (6-3, 275, 32, Chiefs), Mike Neal (6-3, 262, 28, Packers), Nick Perry (6-3, 265, 25, Packers), Jason Pierre-Paul (6-5, 278, 27, Giants), Muhammed Wilkerson (6-4, 315, 26, Jets), Jason Jones (6-5, 275, 29, Lions), Robert Ayers (6-3, 275, 30, Giants), Olivier Vernon (6-2, 268, 25, Dolphins), Mailk Jackson (6-5, 293, 26, Broncos).

* Draft Pass Rushers--- Myles Jack (6-1, 245, UCLA), Darron Lee (6-1, 235, Ohio St.), Leonard Floyd (6-3, 232, Georgia), Jaylon Smith (6-3, 240, Notre Dame), Noah Spence (6-3, 254, Eastern Kentucky), Joshua Perry (6-4, 253, Ohio St.),

* Patrick Peterson---he deserved his Pro Bowl invite this year, as he consistently took away the opponents' top WR. Peterson made some improvement in his tackling this year and started to assume a leadership role. His role as punt returner continues to expose his fear of getting hurt---and good football leaders don't expose themselves in that way. Once Tyrann Mathieu was injured, the tackling in the secondary (save from Tony Jefferson and D.J. Swearinger) turned shabby. The Cardinals need less talk and hot-dogging from Peterson and more action in the way of tackling and playing penalty-free.

* Jerraud Powers---held up fairly well as the starting RCB despite getting picked on repeatedly. Got beat deep more than a few times, but only a couple cost him. When moved back to the slot, he was very good. According to MJ, Powers' asking price on a new contract is laughable. In my opinion, he needs to paid as nickel CB, not a starter. I could see paying him in the $3.5M range a year...like a 3 year $11M contract with $3M guaranteed.

* Justin Bethel---clearly he was the victim of thinking too much and for being over-coached (which is understandable). Bethel has all the physical tools---now he needs to train very diligently in the fundamentals so that this year he can play on instinct and aggression rather than have to over-think everything. Bethel made some good plays on the ball---and that should motivate him going forward.

* Cariel Brooks and Asa Jackson---two young CBs with upside and a chance to make the roster.

* UFAs---the guy I like the most is Trumaine Johnson (6-2, 210, 26, Rams), He has 15 career interceptions in 4 years. He played at Montana and maybe Zach Wagenmann can help recruit him for the Cardinals.

* Draft---the Cardinals would like to draft a CB with length and speed and the ones who pop out to me are: Eli Apple (6-1, 200, Ohio St.), Artie Burns (6-0, 193, Miami), Kendall Fuller (6-0, 197, Va. Tech), Deiondre' Hall (6-2, 192, Northern Iowa----this year's David Johnson in the 3rd round?), Rashard Robinson (6-2, 182, LSU), (Xavien Howard, 6-1, 200, Baylor).

S

* Tony Jefferson---he played so well this year that I believe Steve Keim now considers him a "core" player. Jefferson is one of the tougher players on the team. He's a good tackler, a tenacious blitzer and is now breaking passes up as a cover safety.

* Tyrann Mathieu---was the MVP of the defense and is the team's catalyst. Word is that the coaches want to move him to FS more permanently---but we all know that the Honey Badger needs to be moved around in order to give offenses fits.

* Rashad Johnson---smart and instinctive at times in coverage, Johnson has been the table setter at FS for the past few years. Unfortunately, he has broken down physically the past two seasons and has player poorly in all three playoff games where he has gotten beat deep and missed an array of tackles, even when the DC blitzes him right into the right rushing hole. Does not give the team a physical presence over the middle. It's time for the Cardinals to take the romance out of the TE seam pass or the skinny post. They need an upgrade here.

* D.J. Swearinger---thought he gave the team a much needed lift when Honey Badger got injured. Swearinger is an eager and able hitter. He needs to refine his deep cover skills, but he will make his presence felt on passes over the middle and up the seams.

* Chris Clemons---the fact that SK is saying he wants to sign a S with length and speed likely means that Clemons is no longer in the team's plans as a cover safety.

* UFAs---I don't see the Cardinals signing a UFA S, but one player who could be a fit as a combo FS/CB is Walter Thurmond (5-11, 190, 28, Eagles).

* Draft---Darian Thompson (Boise St., 6-2, 215), Jalen Mills (LSU, 6-0, 194),
DeAndre Houston-Carson (William & Mary, 6-1, 197), Keanu Neal (Florida, 6-1, 216).

STs

* Chandler Catanzaro---had a good season despite the 4 missed extra points.

* Drew Butler---punted well down the stretch, but likely will be challenged in TC by a rookie.

* Mike Leach---one of the best LSs in the NFL who has just retired. Word is that Troy Niklas will be tried at LS. One would think that given the chance Steve Keim will sign a proven veteran.

* UFAs---two of the best are Zak DeOssie (Giants) and J. J. Jansen (Panthers).

* Draft: P Tom Hackett (5-11, 187, Utah), P Drew Kaser (6-3, 205, Texas A&M), LS Nathan Theus (6-3, 235, Georgia), LS Reed Miller (6-2, 236, Stanford).

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I would add Jayron Kearse as a S/OLB to draftable list, he is 6'4" & could be moved all over the field.

He had an awful later half of the season his last year, and to cap it off with an awful national championship performance. He's 6'4 205, but plays like he's 5'8 175.

No thanks.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did Mitch really say that he thinks Gunter will turn into a Reggie freaking White??? Oh boy....

:biglaugh:

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
man, I hope this team isn't depending on Peters. They guy has torn BOTH Achilles tendons. That doesn't bode well for the future.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
man, I hope this team isn't depending on Peters. They guy has torn BOTH Achilles tendons. That doesn't bode well for the future.

Exactly why I would strongly consider drafting Sheldon Rankins if the LB isnt there that they like. Guys gonna be a stud!

Last edited:

Ohcrap75

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Great job Mitch. There are quite a few long CB's with high ceilings available this year. I know it might not be #1 priority on everyone's list, but Eli Apple would be very tempting if he made it to the end of round 1. Deiondre Hall is definitely a player I would love to add in round 3.

My view on the position is that I can live with Bethel as our starter on the outside next year but need to sign/draft a quality player to push him. This player also needs to have size to play outside (Unlike Powers).

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score

The good news is...he knows how to rehab?

I'm a little surprised people aren't more worried about HB, he was a shell of himself the year after the first ACL tear, and it's hard to expect anything more than that this upcoming season.

Good read Mitch, thanks.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The good news is...he knows how to rehab?

I'm a little surprised people aren't more worried about HB, he was a shell of himself the year after the first ACL tear, and it's hard to expect anything more than that this upcoming season.

Good read Mitch, thanks.

yeah, I don't expect much from HB next season unfortunately.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score

Exactly why I'm concerned the Cards are talking extension during this offseason. Luv the player, but scared of coughing up the dough so soon.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Exactly why I'm concerned the Cards are talking extension during this offseason. Luv the player, but scared of coughing up the dough so soon.

Entering the last year of his contract you don't have a choice... ACLs are a dime a dozen you have to take the risk IMO

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
I'd prefer Gunter on the outside as well. I think it was necessary because of the Peters injury. With him back and Williams getting stronger I think we could be set on DL. Yes, prob. time for Redding to retire.

Interesting that you want to keep DBuch at WILB. I'd like to give him a shot at SS. He was'nt bad in coverage in college.
Powers we might lose unless he's more realistic in demands, yes. He is valuable because of his versatility though.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson