Top Gun: Maverick

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Top Gun’s looking at a 40 million dollar 4th weekend. That’s another unheard of drop of only 23% from last weekend.

That sucker is gonna gross 600 million domestic, easy.
I saw it again today

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Top Gun’s looking at a 40 million dollar 4th weekend. That’s another unheard of drop of only 23% from last weekend.

That sucker is gonna gross 600 million domestic, easy.
Bump… 44 million this weekend and an even more ridiculous 15% drop in weekend 4.

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
Bump… 44 million this weekend and an even more ridiculous 15% drop in weekend 4.

It's crazy that it's going to out gross MoM and has a legit shot at breaking a billion. I don't think anyone had those squares on their bingo cards. I bet they're really happy that they stuck to their guns and didn't sell the rights to Netflix, AppleTV+, or HBO Max when all three tried.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's crazy that it's going to out gross MoM and has a legit shot at breaking a billion. I don't think anyone had those squares on their bingo cards. I bet they're really happy that they stuck to their guns and didn't sell the rights to Netflix, AppleTV+, or HBO Max when all three tried.
Cruise wouldn’t let them sell it or put on a streamer.

And it’s not only laying waste to everything this summer, but the only movie that has a prayer of beating it for the entire year is probably Avatar 2, and that would even be pretty damn surprising.

That said, betting against James Cameron is pretty risky at this point and I expect that movie to be a an absolute adventure-experience for the eyeballs.

What I wonder about Maverick is if it would have done anywhere near this well if it just came out in 2019, as originally planned. Back then, it would have just been the latest big blockbuster nostalgia play, but one mired in a sea of them. I think it would have done well, probably scratching 300 million domestic (which would have been Cruise’s best domestic ever), but I don’t think it’s the phenomenon it is right now.

I think the pandemic shutting so many people out of the theater and having so few GREAT BIG Movie theater movies for two years was a major boost for this movie. The fact that we had to keep waiting for it and then it actually being GOOD was almost too good to be true and in a time where things in general still suck, I think that part of the story of has carried this movie forward as well.

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
Pulled in another $30m for #1 this weekend and broke a billion world wide :notworthy:

I'm thinking it hits at least $600m domestic since it's at $521m now. With 4th of July weekend coming up $700m might not be out of the question. Is there a better movie for the 4th right now than it? Paramount should do a final marketing push in the US for it.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pulled in another $30m for #1 this weekend and broke a billion world wide :notworthy:

I'm thinking it hits at least $600m domestic since it's at $521m now. With 4th of July weekend coming up $700m might not be out of the question. Is there a better movie for the 4th right now than it? Paramount should do a final marketing push in the US for it.
It definitely hits 600 domestic and there’s not that many more big movies this summer so who knows… maybe it just crosses 700. That would really be something.

Some of that depends tho if Paramount Sticks with its 45 day window of movies from theaters to paramount plus. If it does, it starts streaming in 3 weeks and that’ll take a chunk out of its box office.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It definitely hits 600 domestic and there’s not that many more big movies this summer so who knows… maybe it just crosses 700. That would really be something.

Some of that depends tho if Paramount Sticks with its 45 day window of movies from theaters to paramount plus. If it does, it starts streaming in 3 weeks and that’ll take a chunk out of its box office.
This movie and Jurassic prove we don't need the Chinese box office. We get a fraction of that box office anyway. I have been so tired of acquiescing to them and making changes in fear of losing it. With countries like South Korea and Mexico gaining more international box office share I am happy for the movies like this dominating box office. I mean, almost all of the Marvel movies are banned overseas and yet those have been a juggernaut worldwide. It went from hoping the Chinese market could give underperforming movies a boost to outright depending on them.

I remember the worm started turning. I was working on the marketing project for the Hulk back in 2008. We put a ton of effort into wooing the Asian market to see if we widen the appeal, boost the movies revenue and create cross sell opportunities for movie themed cobranded products (example financial products) in those markets. It was self-perpetuating scenario because with that investment you depend on that revenue.

I am glad to see success at the Box office again without reediting or changing the writers and directors' original intent for scenes. Sorry, not trying to get political but enjoying the success. These movies shouldn't be impacted why whims of governments in any country. They are for the fans. These movies feel like they were for the fans and screw everything else.

Last edited:

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Does this open the door for everyone and their mother to go to the well and pull out older properties and run sequels? (I know there are plenty already, but this is a huge call to arms for studios)

Could we finally see a Goonies sequel?

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does this open the door for everyone and their mother to go to the well and pull out older properties and run sequels? (I know there are plenty already, but this is a huge call to arms for studios)

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
No, sadly.
I really wish IMDB wouldn't do this. They bill themselves as the legit source for all things and even have a subscription tier. However, they often will put up rumored stuff which makes it seem official.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score

You shut your mouth :)

Actually, that's the one huge downside to the success of this movie, IMO. Outweighed, of course, by what it's done for the American box office, but still.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We saw this tonight on our 32nd anniversary. Amazing movie. Pushed a whole bunch of nostalgia and emotional buttons for me.

And TC has earned role model status for my generation on still looking good after all these years.

Congratulations!

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I getcha. I liked the original but never went back for a re-watch. I don't think the nostalgia would then do much for me. I'm glad a lot of people are liking it, though. The theaters could use the boost. Between this and Doctor Strange, it's looking up for the industry.
Why are you not seeing it? :shrug:

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Because I don't feel compelled to do so? You quoted my post where I said I didn't even re-watch the OG, so this shouldn't be a surprise.

OK that's cool. For me personally, I never feel compelled to see a movie. Its a fun thing. If being compelled was the standard, I guess I would never see any movies.

I saw the original when I was in my early 20's. I enjoyed it, but wasn't one of those people who went to see it 20 times. Re-watched it last night and it was good, but IMO the sequel was much better. Not just the tech. The whole Goose/Maverick back story from the original really laid the groundwork for some bigger emotional gut punches in the second one.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose