Top Gun: Maverick

UncleChris

Shocking, I tell you!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Outstanding friggin' movie!!!! 4.9 out of 5 stars.

Now.... I DID go into the theater with an "IT'S A MOVIE, GARTH!" attitude. There's a number if things that just are not believable, but so what. Great action, unbelievable flying sequences, great callbacks to the first one, just great fun. Go see it if you haven't already.

(Enjoyed the Avatar2 trailer, too!)

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought it was a really good movie.

With that said, I have a question. What did you guys think of the sound at the theater you saw it at? I felt the bass quite underwhelming considering the sound these jets cam make in real life. It was likely the theater I chose, but I do want to hear other opinions on the matter...

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

With that said, I have a question. What did you guys think of the sound at the theater you saw it at? I felt the bass quite underwhelming considering the sound these jets cam make in real life. It was likely the theater I chose, but I do want to hear other opinions on the matter...
I kinda agree. I saw it at the greatest theater in the world, TCL Chinese, IMAX size and sound and didn’t feel anything that special re: the sound.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I kinda agree. I saw it at the greatest theater in the world, TCL Chinese, IMAX size and sound and didn’t feel anything that special re: the sound.
Bucket lister for me.

Since it is a Paramount movie, it will likely be on Paramount+ at some point. I would love to compare it to my theater and see.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bucket lister for me.

Since it is a Paramount movie, it will likely be on Paramount+ at some point. I would love to compare it to my theater and see.
It’s gorgeous. And with the Cinerama Dome now gone (RIP) because of Covid, the best theater in the city. FOX theater in Westwood is a close second.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
747 million box office take worldwide…. Crazy

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Must have been your theater. I watched it at one of the Harkins "Cine" theaters that has newly installed Dolby Atmos equipment. The sound was amazing. The bass was EXACTLY what I had hoped for.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Must have been your theater. I watched it at one of the Harkins "Cine" theaters that has newly installed Dolby Atmos equipment. The sound was amazing. The bass was EXACTLY what I had hoped for.
Thanks. My theater is Atmos capable so it will be interesting to see.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
How would I find out which theaters are Atmos? Serious question from an older guy. I still think Pong changed the world.
If you have a movie app or look on the internet usually next to the showing it says "ATMOS". or "Dolby ATMOS".

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Bucket lister for me.

Me too. Only time I was in Hollywood the movie they were playing--a Marvel movie!--was a few hours beyond how long we were going to be there. Curses!

Unfortunately, Hollywood is kind of a "seen it once and never need to go there again" spot for me, so I probably will never get to see a movie there.

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score
Which Cine theater did you watch it at?

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Which Cine theater did you watch it at?
Ciné Capri At Tempe Market place. More times than not it's not how the movie sound is encoded. It's the theater's lack of adjustment to their own equipment that is the culprit when the sound doesn't live up to expectation.

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score

This is why I can't wait for the UHD of it. No theaters is going to match the sound of my home theater, especially for bass. I have a new projector coming in a couple weeks that with my new screen gives me an IMAX field of view. I can't wait.

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
Ciné Capri At Tempe Market place. More times than not it's not how the movie sound is encoded. It's the theater's lack of adjustment to their own equipment that is the culprit when the sound doesn't live up to expectation.

This is partially true. The theater being setup properly is the #1 factor but for the last few years we've been seeing issues with studios nerfing bass in movies. A lot of movies are getting a huge roll off between 20 and 30 hz that kills the ULF. I have a project that's EQing the low end of movies to help counteract it. Since they're generally using a high pass filter for it the info is usually still there and can be restored with low pass filters.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is partially true. The theater being setup properly is the #1 factor but for the last few years we've been seeing issues with studios nerfing bass in movies. A lot of movies are getting a huge roll off between 20 and 30 hz that kills the ULF. I have a project that's EQing the low end of movies to help counteract it. Since they're generally using a high pass filter for it the info is usually still there and can be restored with low pass filters.
A buddy of mine has a company that installs, maintains and upgrades sound equipment in theaters. He told me one time that about 80% of the theaters he has worked on were not calibrated correctly. I said that seems high and he said it was accurate.

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
A buddy of mine has a company that installs, maintains and upgrades sound equipment in theaters. He told me one time that about 80% of the theaters he has worked on were not calibrated correctly. I said that seems high and he said it was accurate.

I completely believe that number. Most theaters that I go into I can hear something off. You can tell they haven't sat there for hours running REW sweeps and adjusting things to get a perfect response graphed. :)

And don't even get me start on the sound systems at clubs. I don't think I've been in one yet that I'm not appalled at how bad they have their sound systems set up. Last time I was at one in old town I had to leave over how triggered I was from the distortion coming out of the subs. ;)

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score

Next time you're in Phoenix after it's out you can come watch it stoned again in my theater to see what you were missing. ;)

I miss the Cine Capri. I managed to get a marquee letter back when they were closing down.

Sweet that you got those. I miss the Cine Capri too. There was something magical about it that's missing from the new ones.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Top Gun’s looking at a 40 million dollar 4th weekend. That’s another unheard of drop of only 23% from last weekend.

That sucker is gonna gross 600 million domestic, easy.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose