Today’s Weird Rumor (04/23/23) : Offensive Line

lobo

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I’m still hearing the Cards are expected to heavily focus on defense, especially early in the draft. Of course that could change if they acquire a handful of pick. I think Gannon feels you can win with a good defense and a mediocre offense. If I were the GM I’d lean towards supporting his point of view.
"Call me Vince L" A dynamic run blocking offensive line, a solid defense will keep you in more games that you might imagine. Not necessarily sexy football, but neither was watching games that Bob Gibson won when his ERA for the year was about 1.12.....all he did was win.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
maybe Skoronski turns into an all-pro offensive lineman

but man, would it be disappointing to trade out of the #3 spot to 10, 11 or so and draft what looks like a guard (a really good guard, but one none the less)
Not disappointing at all, when you factor in the rest of the haul involved.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
Not disappointing at all, when you factor in the rest of the haul involved.
one of the Keim habits that made me crazy was using top half of the 1st round picks on non-priority positions

taking a guard would be more of that

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
"Call me Vince L" A dynamic run blocking offensive line, a solid defense will keep you in more games that you might imagine. Not necessarily sexy football, but neither was watching games that Bob Gibson won when his ERA for the year was about 1.12.....all he did was win.
That would be great football to watch imo

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
That would be great football to watch imo

Fitz4Ever

Veteran
Reaction score
As much as I like Skoronski, if our FO doesnt view him as a tackle in the NFL, then Im not using a 1st round pick. There are too many good interior lineman in rounds 2 and 3.

Now, if you wanted to tell me we were all in on Skoronski as a LT...then for sure I would take him and dump DJ in a heartbeat. I think the arm length thing is overrated, but Im not an NFL line coach.

HairZach

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
As much as I like Skoronski, if our FO doesnt view him as a tackle in the NFL, then Im not using a 1st round pick. There are too many good interior lineman in rounds 2 and 3.

Now, if you wanted to tell me we were all in on Skoronski as a LT...then for sure I would take him and dump DJ in a heartbeat. I think the arm length thing is overrated, but Im not an NFL line coach.
I'm fine spending all our picks on OL/DL. We already have good tackles, we should actually fix guard and center. Instead of taking a good guard in round 2/3 we take the best one in round 1, and then get the center in round 2. If we trade down or find someone to take Hopkins we may even have picks to try and find DTs that can actually defend against the run.

LA Redbird

All Star
Reaction score
Often when a player doesn't have a specific role and he is praised cause can play multi positions at the end is not that good in each of those positions

We had a guy back in the Warner years (?) who was regarded as versatile at all positions.

But to your point, Jack of all trades, master of nothing.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yes, it is. :)
I’m a Canadiens fan from upstate NY. The Canadiens/Nordiques rivalry back in the day was awesome. I became a Canadiens fan in the mid 60’s because my Dad got roped into putting a fancy antennae on our roof & for whatever reasons being, Hockey Night in Canada came in clear as day. They sadly suck now, but for decades, there was no better sports entertainment than to watch the Montreal Canadiens play hockey. The flying Frenchmen lol.

lobo

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Merci beaucoup! - but it's Canadien or Québécois. ;)

I’m a Canadiens fan from upstate NY. The Canadiens/Nordiques rivalry back in the day was awesome. I became a Canadiens fan in the mid 60’s because my Dad got roped into putting a fancy antennae on our roof & for whatever reasons being, Hockey Night in Canada came in clear as day. They sadly suck now, but for decades, there was no better sports entertainment than to watch the Montreal Canadiens play hockey. The flying Frenchmen lol.
The Canandien team back in the day were the Yankees of the NHL....an amazing array of talent.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I saw Celine Dion at the Pepsi Center during Winter Carnival. Seemed sad there was no more hockey in a good facility.

Yes, it's a good NHL facility, and there's local billionaire interest in bringing a team back. However, many issues make a return unlikely, so old Nordique fans content themselves wishing the Avalanche the best. :)

Fitz4Ever

Veteran
Reaction score
I'm fine spending all our picks on OL/DL. We already have good tackles, we should actually fix guard and center. Instead of taking a good guard in round 2/3 we take the best one in round 1, and then get the center in round 2. If we trade down or find someone to take Hopkins we may even have picks to try and find DTs that can actually defend against the run.

So for me...I see Skoronski as a potential All-Pro LT. I think the arm length is overrated, and the guy is a master of his craft already. He is one of the highest graded LTs in college football...3 year starter at Northwestern. I would LOVE to have him on our team. He is as sure a thing as there is in this draft.

All that said...Im not drafting him in the 1st round, and then switching his position to guard. Im sure he would be great there too, but there are guys like who will also be great guards in rounds 2 and 3 this year...and we already have 3 picks in those rounds.

I we want to trade down and pick an O-Lineman in the 1st round...that player HAS to be a tackle IMO or its a waste of a pick from a value standpoint.

Redsz

We do this together
Reaction score
Here is an interesting take that I heard yesterday - getting the middle of our line sorted could be seen as a priority to support Kyler's maturation as a pocket passer. This would assist improving his passing in the middle of the field and getting rid of some bad habits (i.e. bailing to the right when pressure comes up the middle).

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So for me...I see Skoronski as a potential All-Pro LT. I think the arm length is overrated, and the guy is a master of his craft already. He is one of the highest graded LTs in college football...3 year starter at Northwestern. I would LOVE to have him on our team. He is as sure a thing as there is in this draft.

All that said...Im not drafting him in the 1st round, and then switching his position to guard. Im sure he would be great there too, but there are guys like who will also be great guards in rounds 2 and 3 this year...and we already have 3 picks in those rounds.

I we want to trade down and pick an O-Lineman in the 1st round...that player HAS to be a tackle IMO or its a waste of a pick from a value standpoint.
Skoronski has excellent technique indeed, but he’s just not big enough, nor strong enough to be an elite LT in the NFL. I do believe he can be an elite G though. He doesn’t have wide shoulders, doesn’t have long arms, doesn’t have a wide butt, and has to work to keep his weight up. He can be my stud G all day, every day, and can be a good tackle. But, he just doesn’t have the body to be a GREAT LT. Paris Johnson is nasty, big, and has GREAT feet. He’s still developing, but he has a MUCH higher ceiling at LT than Skoronski does.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Yeah the overthinking on this is dumb.

The exact same thing played out with Rashawn Slater from Northwestern who has the exact same 33" arms and in his rookie season was 2nd team All Pro and a Pro Bowler.

Easily the best tackle in the draft.

Joe Thomas had 33.8" arms and is a future all of fame LT. Joe Staley has 33.5" arms and is likely a future hall of fame LT. Are we really saying 0.5"-0.8" makes a difference?

David DeCastro was a 6x Pro Bowler and 3x All Pro and had 32.75" arms.

Our very own DJ Humphries has 33.63" arms. La'el Collins 33.25". Mitchell Schwartz was the best RT in the league for a number of years with 33.5" arms.

33" arms are fine, especially on someone as obviously talented as Skoronski. Teams aren't going to be put off by 33".

Minski

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Yeah the overthinking on this is dumb.

The exact same thing played out with Rashawn Slater from Northwestern who has the exact same 33" arms and in his rookie season was 2nd team All Pro and a Pro Bowler.

Easily the best tackle in the draft.

Joe Thomas had 33.8" arms and is a future all of fame LT. Joe Staley has 33.5" arms and is likely a future hall of fame LT. Are we really saying 0.5"-0.8" makes a difference?

David DeCastro was a 6x Pro Bowler and 3x All Pro and had 32.75" arms.

Our very own DJ Humphries has 33.63" arms. La'el Collins 33.25". Mitchell Schwartz was the best RT in the league for a number of years with 33.5" arms.

33" arms are fine, especially on someone as obviously talented as Skoronski. Teams aren't going to be put off by 33".

I’ve met a few women in my time who wouldn’t even be put off my 33”